1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton venues requiring photo ID for entry

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 1, 2013.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Some flash your age up in fucking huge numbers on a screen visible by everyone in the queue behind you as they;re scanned in. It varies from machine to machine. The whole club ID scanning system is hateful and of dubious worth when balanced with privacy and database concerns.

Greebo and Gramsci like this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Like this:

[​IMG]

F U C K O F F

Greebo, friendofdorothy and Gramsci like this.
  3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

My concern is that this is part of a slippery slope. The last Labour government failed in its bid to make everyone have an ID card. ( Remember Blunkett enthusing about this. Getting one to swipe it every time one went to GP is an example he gave.) Having to show ID starts to become compulsory in incremental way instead.

The business offering to make an ID card for people is imo part of the slippery slope.

Greebo and editor like this.
  4. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

My european colleagues are surprised that we haven't had them since ww2. Now with leaving europe - who knows what will happen.

5. Gramsci

We can thank Clarence Willcock for that. Back in 1950 he was stopped by police and they demanded he show them his identity card. He refused. The case went to the High Court and he won. Shortly after the ID card system was ended.

This was a good example of mission creep. An ID card brought in during war for security and rationing purposes continued to operate after the war with the police regarding it as there right to demand to see a persons identity card.

6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Thanks for this interesting piece of history. As a life-long Liberal I'm quite proud of Clarence Wilcok's cockiness - and also peased to see he garnered a lot of support from m'learned friends at the Bar. In 1951.

I think the politics of this are no longer applicable though. Everyone who drives needs a licence, and can be asked to produce it and their insurance at random by the police.

Everyone who opens a bank account currently is required to produce their passport if they don't have a driving licence. Passports cost £70 and rising.

I could go on - because I believe the NHS bears a lot of costs of treating people who would have to pay in other countries - simply because the NHS is not geared up to checking entitlement.

The effect of this is visible in local surgeries I venture to suggest - and is one of the reasons that GP surgeries claim to be unable to give appointments.

7. Tom Kenny

Tom Kenny New Member

The card states your name, date of birth and shows your passport photo. If you're over 18 years of age then it says "18+" in the bottom right hand corner.

There's a picture of one on our home page, and we'll put more on our Instagram later today.

8. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

9. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

What happens when some bouncer goes 'what the fuck is that' and laughs in your face?

Greebo and friendofdorothy like this.
  10. Tom Kenny

Tom Kenny New Member

The Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS) - under whose auspices Civilian Card operates - is endorsed by the Securities Industry Authority (SIA) which regulates door staff. The SIA officially encourages door staff to accept the PASS card, as do the police, Home Office and Chartered Trading Standards Institute.

The card comes with a money-back guarantee. In the unlikely event that it is declined, simply return it to us and we will refund the application fee. Conditions apply; check website for details.

11. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

He liked it so much he bought the company...

[​IMG]

Greebo, sealion and Gramsci like this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Will you refund the disappointment from a missed night out?

Greebo likes this.
  13. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

:D

Greebo likes this.
  14. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

When I lived in Amsterdam the Dutch were also surprised we didn't have them. You are required to carry one at all times. For us that meant carrying our passports as we couldn't get Dutch ID cards. Which we never did carry. Was stopped once and luckily my wife was at home and shot down to where I was with my passport. Otherwise I was going to be arrested for being unable to identify myself.

Ended up getting a €480 fine. Not sure what portion was for no ID coz I was also driving a scooter without a licence, through a restricted area. I was rushing to the pub. Expensive fucking pint that was.

15. Tom Kenny

Tom Kenny New Member

Neither the passport office nor the DVLA compensate their customers in the way that you suggest, and nor does Civilian Card.

In fact no form of ID - passport and driving licence included - provides a legal entitlement to admission or service, which are always at the venue operator's discretion.

ED: SPAM SPAM SPAM REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2016
  16. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Ha ha ha.....this one has some gumption!!!

Greebo and Gramsci like this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But that is the whole point of your spammy card. Drivers' licenses and passports have actual uses.

Greebo likes this.
  18. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

...but people don't like to take them out for fear of losing them on their drunken rambling chaotic nights.....

Greebo and Tom Kenny like this.
  19. Gramsci

How is it I used to go out back in 80s without needing this kind of ID?

I don't remember feeling unsafe.

Greebo, friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  20. Tom Kenny

Tom Kenny New Member

The point of the card is to provide legally-valid, secure, affordable and widely-accepted means of assuring the cardholder's ID and age; thereby empowering young people and protecting responsible venue operators & retailers.

That is its "actual use".

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Real tears here.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gosh, so you're actually "empowering young people"? What a selfless hero you are.

23. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Hey....I aint creating this stupid shit....this stupid shit is just stupid shit feeding stupid shit...I don't go to venues that require ID.

Greebo likes this.
  24. Gramsci

I think it still applicable.

The wartime ID was used to prove your right to rations Postwar with the building of the Welfare State the existing ID would have proved useful.

It's about politics. The establishment in this country,you are right to mention the judges, were liberal. In the sense that the individual rights should be protected from the state This still holds now.

Back in WW1 ID was also put forward. It was considered something the Prussians did.

The use of ID in WW2 was about the State being on a war footing. Being able to manage the whole population. The State is not a benign institution. It is coercive. The further extension of ID into people's lives should be questioned.

25. Gramsci

Issue of NHS.

This comes up periodically about immigrants. Whether GPs should question patients visa or asylum status. Most doctors in London are loath to do this. There first thing is to heal people. Not grass them up to immigration authorities or turn them away.

26. Tom Kenny

Tom Kenny New Member

It's kind of you to think that, but I'm no hero: I'm in this business to turn a profit.

Happily for Civilian Card's customers and society at large, we find that the best way to do so is by providing products & services that meet our customers' needs better, faster or cheaper than those of our competitors.

Adam Smith's "invisible hand" at work, if you will.

27. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

What's actually happening is the Govt is sort of introducing ID cards by stealth. Technically you don't need an ID card, but increasingly public services are only available online, which requires you to prove your ID and get yourself added to a database. In fact, the entire infrastructure for an ID card system basically already exists: everything except the card itself.

28. Gramsci

Now ur annoying me This has nothing to do with" empowering " young people. If you want to make money out of this that's up to you. But you are not providing a social service. You aren't empowering young people.

Greebo and editor like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You're just in it for your own personal gain so save the pathetic 'empowering' bullshit please.

phillm, Greebo and friendofdorothy like this.
  30. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

TBF he declared an interest in his first post and was quite open about being the owner of the business. Though perhaps it'd be best for him not to try to put a positive spin on every argument or feedback about the card (the empowering comment being an example) and accept not everyone here is going to like it. He's got some free exposure to his product already, which is more than most other businesses would get.