Brixton venues requiring photo ID for entry

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 1, 2013.

1. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl All lost in the supermarket

Data protection law is changing massively from next year in terms of what data 'controllers' can collect, store, and share. I wonder if this will affect these venues?
    On a personal level, I don't have a drivers license and I don't take my passport out routinely in case I loose it, so it's making it much harder to do those spontaneous 'fuck it, let's go and have a dance' nights out.

Gramsci and snowy_again like this.
  2. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Well-Known Member

`The scanner at Phonox didn't recognise my Irish credit card sized passport. Win.

3. editor

editor hiraethified

So the Prince of Wales now demands full photo scanning on Thursdays. Some old boy who had been coming to the jazz nights for years was turned away last night.

4. editor

editor hiraethified

So I'm doing an update on this and - blimey - what a palaver for Hootananny:
    So you need both valid ID and a member's card to get in some nights (on top of the admission free) and you may still get refused on account of their "concern of future bad behaviour"...

Gramsci likes this.
  5. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Regardless of age and appearance. And scan your ID. Its Orwellian.

The concern of future had behaviour is insidious. You might be innocent of any offence and stil get turned down due to what is in effect hearsay.

One point of this intrusive ID scanning is to share information.

Really puts me off.

editor likes this.
  6. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

I dont think you need a membership card. Its just a completely pointless way of saying you need I.D to come in, the POW have a similar policy. Why i have no idea.

Saying that i seem to recall that a few years back, later on Friday and Saturday nights, once they scanned your I.D at Hootanannys, you were required to show some kind of membership card, and if you didn't have one in your wallet from a previous visit you had to pay a couple of quid for a new one!

7. sim667

sim667 Licking windows on the 303 bus.

Bit off topic, but I've seen Parklife Festival Security were performing strip searches without police presence over the weekend..... Surely thats got to be a legal grey area too? I thought SIA weren't allowed to perform a strip search even with consent.

8. editor

editor hiraethified

The text on their site seems quite specific:
    Info | Hootananny Brixton, Live Music Venue & Mexican Restaurant, Ska Roots Reggae World Folk Music, DJs, London UK

9. editor

editor hiraethified

This explains what they can do i some detail:

Festival security, drug searches and your safety – an insider’s guide, 2018 update

sim667 likes this.
  10. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Hmm, well they broke that ^^^ at Cross the Tracks last weekend.

11. editor

editor hiraethified

They almost always do. :mad:

Trouble is that if you complain, they simply won't let you in.

snowy_again likes this.