1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton venues requiring photo ID for entry

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Apr 1, 2013.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm going to compile a list of all the Brixton venues currently foisting scan ID on its customers for BrixtonBuzz - hopefully by forewarning people they can make the decision whether to take ID out with them or go somewhere else.

These are four that I know about - are there any others?

Hootananny (photo ID and membership needed for entry after 11pm - membership can be bought on the door for £2, but only after an interview to "to decide whether you are appropriate to be a member." Scheme operates Thurs-Fri)
    Dogstar: Photo ID scan required
    Club 414: Photo ID scan required
    Plan B: Photo ID scan required

2. Belushi

Belushi 01 811 8055 R.I.P.

The only photo ID I have is my passport and there's no way I want to take that out with me when I'm out drinking.

Ms Ordinary and Gramsci like this.
  3. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Has anyone been interviewed for suitability for Hootenanny membership yet? :D

More seriously I'd like to now abut the data procedures. I'm not so worried about just showing ID although it's a pain for a lot of people who don't carry it, but the whole scan and store thing is a bit more than that.

Dexter Deadwood and Gramsci like this.
  4. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

Not related to Brixton but this is pissing me off. As Belushi says, the only photo ID I have is my passport. Why the fuck should I need to carry photo ID with me at al times just to get in pubs and clubs. :mad: Queued about 30 minutes trying to get in somewhere on Sat night only to be turned away as we had no ID :mad: Walkabout down the road has also introduced this when showing football for "big games" whatever that means.

Gramsci likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The 414 - bless 'em - even offer to look after your ID while you enjoy a night at their club.

Here's a comment from the BrixtonBuzz article on the club:

6. Ms Ordinary

Ms Ordinary randompointlesschemistry

I'm getting used to the idea that I'm going to have to sometimes, thread is a good idea as it's the kind of thing that would take me by surprise.

7. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

I stopped bothering carrying id when I was 19. Is this id nonsense to catch out underage drinkers or so they know who you are if you get assaulted?

Gramsci likes this.
  8. MrSki

MrSki Who am I to say you're wrong

My passport e
    My passport expired in 2006. Currently have no photo ID.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. fortyplus

fortyplus smug git

This seems to me to be an utter shambles.
    I'm pretty certain that scanning photo ID is data collection that needs to be notified to the Information Commissioner. Failure to notify is a criminal offence. Has anyone from the police, or from Lambeth, told these licensees that they have to do this? Do they care?
    The register of data controllers is on the ICO website and is searchable. I've searched by postcode for Hootananny and Dogstar, which have been doing it for longest. No results found.

In my view, the police, having insisted on this as a condition of the licence, should also ensure that the data collected (which is mainly for their benefit) is legally (and securely) stored. It's quite possible to do this, but it needs robust procedures, kit, and staff training. I don't get the impression that any of this is happening.

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It will obviously work well for that (it flashes your age up on the screen in big letters, so that may cause embarrassment for some people!) but I'd suggest the driving force for installing scanners is not catching under-age drinkers but for targeting crimes like bag theft and enforcing bans (either from the original venue or those in the surrounding area).

Talking of which, I'd be interested to know how far the ban 'net extends. Is it by street? borough? city?

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

pardon and Gramsci like this.
  12. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

This is intrusive. Its also about collecting general info that is unrelated to security or policing.

Such as male to female ratio and graphic demographic report ( I assume where the customers come from)

Demographics on wickepedia

13. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

Yes. I think amongst a lot of 'the powers that be' there's been a development of an attitude that monitoring people will just work, in some way they haven't worked out yet. It just seems instinctively a good idea to people like the Police and politicians to gather as much info as you can.

MONITOR EVERYONE

?????

PROFIT!

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Interesting article here from 2009:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/12/id_scanner/

Gramsci likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I am a bit worried how shoddy some of these websites are - it doesn't make me want to trust them with my data.

Here's another ID scanning company.

Gramsci likes this.
  16. laughalot

laughalot Well-Known Member

Hello..
    Rather than questions and answer format…I will write a piece trying to cover points.

All clubs using the technology to scan and record information either on CCTV or scanners must register with ‘The Data Commissioner’s Office’
    They must also put up signage disclosing their company’s name, or the name of a person to contact and telephone number.
    This sign must be in a prominent place to comply with ‘The Data Protection act 1998’.

The technology enables the venues to collect the photo ID from persons entering their premises. Passports world wide (most countries) and driving licences (most countries)
    The information that a venue gathers remains on the system they have indefinitely. This information can not be deleted by the venues only by the company who has supplied the product and software. They have stringent rules to follow also by ‘The Data Protection Act’.

Information can be accessed by the venue should they wish to asses the information but only by persons listed with the company who installed the machine this would be protected by names and passwords.

The police will not have any information sent to them UNLESS a venue has put ‘A BAN’ on to a person. It will then be a decision made by the police should the person’s details be shared with other venues in the area.

Should a venue give a caution to a customer for breaking a rule or misbehaving, that does not warrant a ban, will registrar only on the venue’s system and can be lifted at a time when the venue is ready to do so.

I will have a meeting soon to ask a few more question’s that have been asked over the weekend and will be more than willing to come and let you all know more at a later date.

17. Tolpuddle

Tolpuddle Cooperative council-my arse.

I think it is to identify who has assaulted you as they know who was there at the time...

18. Maltin

Maltin Well-Known Member

Gramsci likes this.
  19. Gramsci

Reading the pdf on the application under the section ID scan and Search Arch says in

1. An ID scanning system shall be installed at the premises and maintained in good Working
    order. The system should be able to share banned customers with other venues, identify
    the hologram of an lD and read both Passports and lD cards, the system should be able
    to send a Weekly statistical report to the licensing team, the system to be used as a
    minimum at all times when door staff are used and or when money for entry is operated.

3. That an ID Scan be installed and maintained at the premises and be operational
    whenever door staff are on duty and reports made available to the Metropolitan Police
    Service on request.

Were these two requirements agreed? As in that case info is not only sent to Met if someone is banned. But also if they request it. Do u know what a weekly statistical report contains? What info would be in reports to the Met if requested?

Dexter Deadwood likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's yet another ID scan company with a dodgy looking site (most of the images are broken on the front page). It troubles me deeply that all this is being run by the private sector because those machines can pick up more than enough data for identity theft.

Gramsci likes this.
  21. Gramsci

22. skyscraper101

skyscraper101 0891 50 50 50

These look well dodge. Privately owned machines capturing ID scans? Then when it inevitably fails as an initiative they've still got plenty of captured data to er, sell on to make back some of the losses. I hope the whole thing fails spectacularly.

Dexter Deadwood and Gramsci like this.
  23. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

I went out in camden some months a go, and a lot of places wanted photo ID. The bouncers said it was a measure that was to reduce pickpockets and bag snatchers.

24. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

I'm 99% sure that's why it was introduced at the Dogstar, because professional teams of bag thieves were targeting the venue.

25. joustmaster

joustmaster offcumdun

The bouncers I talked to in Camden said it had made a huge difference.
    Although we whined and pleaded at a few bars, who eventually let us in with out ID

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They could risk the venue's licence by doing that.

27. gabi

gabi Banned Banned

ive got a scan of my passport ID page saved on my email. can i just show them the email on my ipod?

28. Private Storm

Private Storm Smell The Glove

I know it's not Brixton, but not too far away.....went to Fire in Vauxhall on Thursday night and the first anyone hears about photo ID being essential to entry is when we get to the front of the queue. Not when we bought the tickets, not on the venue website, the night's website, nowhere. We blagged it with a European Health care, an expired AMEX etc, but did meet some people inside whose friends had been refused entry. They weren't scanning them, just "checking" (didn't notice there were three people, one after the other, with the same name). Would have been fuming if we hadn't been allowed entry.

Maltin and Gramsci like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No, you have to produce full paper documentation.

I'm running a piece about this on BrixtonBuzz tomorrow.

RaverDrew and laughalot like this.
  30. laughalot

laughalot Well-Known Member

This is one of the questions we will be asking.
    We not sure if we have installed the same equipment as other venue's in Brixton, but we are of the understanding, the police central licencing team only can approve the sharing of information. The question will be asked again and conformation will be given as soon as possible.

Dexter Deadwood and editor like this.