Brixton tradesmen recommendations: plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, van drivers etc

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Mrs Magpie, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Rocky Sullivan

Rocky Sullivan New Member

Can anyone recommend a local "glass cut to size" shop/unit? Just need a small replacement panel for a door (I don't need a glazier). Thanks.

2. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Aliglass in West Norwood do it. There maybe somewhere closer to you though.

3. Rocky Sullivan

Thanks Colacubes: cut to size in the shop - and only took him 5 mins.

colacubes likes this.
  4. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Any recommendations for a local building surveyor? We're moving to Streatham!!
    Thanks in advance
    SB

5. mango5

mango5 Endeavour era

Did you get this sorted? I can recommend a Brixton based painter/decorator who does excellent work for a very fair price and is utterly trustworthy. He's done a couple of urbs homes now.

editor and Rutita1 like this.
  6. editor

editor hiraethified

I've got in touch with John who was recommended here and he's quoted a fair price.

7. Rocky Sullivan

If you need a good, local plumber I can recommend Niko. Called him about a blocked loo and he arrived same day. Quick, efficient and reasonable rates. Niko's number is 07818 607583

8. madshadow

madshadow Well-Known Member

Is there a place anywhere near Brixton/Herne Hill that sells sheet materials cut to size, rather than by the whole sheet? Need some bits of ply and 2x2s... Acre Lane Timber will do 2x1s, 2x2s etc... but wont do ply by measure, only by the whole sheet... there used to be a place near Herne Hill Station but its long gone.....

Also is there anywhere locally a community woodworking workshop on hire by the hour/day, etc..?

Any tips much appreciated.... Tnx!!

9. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Morans in Kennington sell sheets of ply and MDF cut to size. Think you have to buy the whole sheet and pay per cut.

10. madshadow

Thanks, I will give them a call on Monday.

Acre Lane Timber also do full sheets... ideally I need a shop that will sells offcuts.

11. rlw

rlw New Member

I took Michael's details from this forum, and he did a cracking job painting most of my flat and more last year. Really responsive and high quality - 07908827255

12. rlw

rlw New Member

Hi all - can anyone recommend a good tiler? Nothing extensive, just removing some old tiles from a bathroom and replacing with new. Thanks

13. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Blissets at the oval end of Brixton Road have a wood yard and normally a few off cuts of ply hangng about, bit of a gamble tho' re thickness and size.

Blissetts Builders Supplies & DIY

14. madshadow

Thanks, sounds like what I'm looking for!

cuppa tee likes this.
  15. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Fulham timber will cut to size but you pay per full sheet.

Depending what size and how many offcuts you want, ebay and gumtree can sometimes be worth a look.

16. madshadow

I need to add ventilation to the bathroom, need a simple cheap solution, any suggestions are very welcome, anyone that can do this for me please contact me!!

I think there are two options:

1 - to move the hinge on this window to the bottom, so it opens downwards; I would add some sort of stopper so it does not open all the way. Any suggestions how to do this myself / anyone that can do this for me for reasonable fee?
    WhatsApp Image 2019-08-01 at 12.22.01_resize.jpeg

2 - to take the glass to the glass shop to drill through 100mm hole and add permanent vent from both sides, something like the one in the photo. Any suggestions on this?
    51Qcj0ukRiL._SL1006_.jpg
    Currently window opens to the right, it is not convenient and can not leave it open so stays closed most of time.

Thanks!!

17. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

I need a bit of help sorting out my garden. Can anyone suggest a local and reasonably priced gardener?

18. megabunch

megabunch New Member

I'm looking for a plasterer urgently - any got a good local recommendation to skim a few rooms?

Thanks!

19. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

John FitzPatrick
    +44 (0) 7889 413377

20. teuchter

Does the trickle vent at the top of the window work (sometimes people don't realise what they are)?

21. teuchter

Locally based gas safe plumber, anyone?

(Simply to reconnect a gas hob)

22. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Not brixton based but works in the area
    Mark Newlove
    07971 824567
    Newgasboilers.com

He has fitted 2 boilers for me ( in different places ) and now use him for annual service, safety certs etc

However, if it is a new hob, why not pay the seller their fitting fee - normally a bit cheaper

teuchter likes this.
  23. ricbake

ricbake working out how

Local and with an interest in Lambeth issues but has been threatening to retire
    upload_2019-8-21_12-18-52.png

teuchter likes this.
  24. madshadow

Can anyone recommend an electrician, I'm in SW2

Thanks!!

25. discobastard

discobastard edited

sparkybird

26. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Thanks discobastard, very kind! Yesterday I moved to SW16 but still covering Brixton.

27. discobastard

discobastard edited

Hope the move went well!

sparkybird likes this.
  28. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Matt Ayres 07971 920355

29. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

Thank you so much. I have not managed to find anyone and I really need a hand.

30. quimcunx

quimcunx protestant traybake

Can anyone recommend a driving instructor?