1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton tradesmen recommendations: plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, van drivers etc

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Mrs Magpie, Jun 22, 2005.

1. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Thanks.
    Just gave them a ring before I saw this, as it happens.

2. Metroman

Metroman Active Member

Hello all

I wonder if someone could give me so advice on which trades person and what this is.

So high up on my parents bedroom wall, where it meets the ceiling there is what looks like a damp/condensation patch.

So whats caused it and what needs to be done to fix it?

Could it be a leaking gutter?

Any advice greatfully recieved please

MS

3. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

If you are lucky it's just a full or loose gutter.
    I've got a couple of customers who ignored the patches are they were infrequent. And then came the floods.
    It could be a few broken tiles, or flashing, or the pointing, or wrong cement mix on the outside wall.
    A friend, whose neighbour had built an attic extension, had more water was coming into the gutter, and overwhelming it. Could be lots of things.
    I'd call a roofer first. Lots of them do their quotes on Saturdays so you may be lucky.
    If you send a few texts tomorrow or emails tonight, you might be lucky and get a response.

Angellic likes this.
  4. Metroman

Metroman Active Member

Perfect, thank you

5. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a handyman/decorator who could sand a set of stairs and varnish them? The stairs are mostly done and probably only need a light sanding before they are varnished. TIA.

6. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Plumber:
    After going round the houses to find someone who would even answer the phone (see upthread) - and needing to get the evil Pimlico plumbers out on new year's eve for a central heating disaster, I finally found New Gas Boilers - Mark Newlove. New Gas Boilers Limited Bromley | Boiler Repairs In Bromley And The Kent Areas. ‭07971 824567‬

Replaced entire central heating system and chased down / fixed a leak in the heating pipes (under a floorboard). Turned up when he said he would and did the whole job in 2 days (6 FTE days). I will use again

Angellic and colacubes like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This reminds me: there's probably quite a few local urban folks with all sorts of skills who may not look in this thread. Do people reckon a ''skill swap' thread (or something similar) would be worth a go?

8. catriona

catriona chickweed

I can recommend Dennis Hopgood who installed a thermostat and did a combi boiler service for me last year. denhop@talktalk.net
    By the way it's GasSafe not CORGI now

9. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Great idea but put in Community because there's a tax issue (it counts as income) which makes bartering tricky. And not just Brixton as I want to offer a free weekend in Bournemouth in exchange for help demolishing my greenhouse!

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'd be surprised if the taxman would trouble himself with trying to work out the identities of essentially anonymous posters!

11. Boudicca

Boudicca Seaside Queen

Well yes, but I think that's why no-one has launched a barter site as HMRC might take an interest in the site (rather than individual posters).

12. lordnoise

lordnoise Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a builder or perhaps super capable handperson to open up 2 doorways in existing walls in my flat. Happy for the work to be done over a period of time if the quote is a good one ...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  13. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Any recommendations as to who could fit a new radiator? Thanks

14. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Angellic
    Give Len a call. Super guy

15. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Thanks