Brixton tradesmen recommendations: plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, van drivers etc

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Mrs Magpie, Jun 22, 2005.

1. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

Thanks!

2. ash

ash Inittogether

This was probably confusing it was 4 metres of new fence and then 3 metres of wall that needed trellis on top- still a good price imo

nagapie likes this.
  3. magneze

magneze mnemonic beef

Can anyone recommend a carpenter to replace some internal doors and sort out door frames please? Maybe a banister or two.

4. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

So I think there might be a problem with the box above my door, the cable that runs from there to the phone master socket or the master socket. Anyone recommend a freelance phone engineer?
    sparkybird is this sort of thing covered by general electricians?

5. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

quimcunx it'll be cheaper to get it done by a sparks, might just be a loose connection or damage to the cable that runs between the two points.
    I'm out of action for another month and a half though

quimcunx likes this.
  6. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

What have you done to yourself?

Can I have a go myself? :D :hmm: I managed that bulb socket thingy.

7. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Can you take the cover off the box? If you can see a loose connection maybe you can fix it yourself. There's nothing high powered running through phone cables so you probably won't electrocute yourself. Too much.

8. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Oh, I already did this but couldn't see anything. My houseguest is often seen to be rolling his eyes at me fiddling about with electricity. It's turned into a bit of a hobby. I don't even think that it is a problem with the wire but me and Damian at Zen are at our collective wits end. I'm not going to bother being proactive ever again. Things were better when I stuck with Talk talk knowing they are terrible.

9. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Have you done the same to the master socket? I think when you take the cover off, inside there's a "test socket" that you can try plugging into. Or something.

10. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

Not in my instance, that I noticed. My socket has a little trumpeting BT man from the 90s on it. The other little box, above the door, is older than that I think, as is the cable.

11. Bes

Bes Member

Hi All

I am after someone to plaster my living room ceiling. No artex or anything should be very straightforward. Does anyone know of anyone decent?

Thanks

12. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

John Fitzpatrick +44 (7889) 413377

13. Bes

Bes Member

Thanks Winot!

14. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Any electrician recommendations?

15. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Sparkybird is ace :)

Miss-Shelf, sparkybird and gaijingirl like this.
  16. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

#ok I'll pm. Thanks.

colacubes likes this.
  17. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

I need a coat dry cleaned for a wedding Saturday. But no time to take it anywhere until Friday. Does anyone know a same day dry cleaner please? Nearest to Brixton preferred. Cheers.

18. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I am looking for a portrait photographer in Tulse Hill / West Norwood / Brixton. Just to do a quick head and shoulders shot and send me the jpeg. Does anyone know anyone?

19. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

xsunnysuex - I think the dry cleaners on Acre Lane just opposite the old Town Hall can do same day - on the same parade as Bamboula, Traid, Banks Opticians etc.

xsunnysuex likes this.
  20. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Thank you. Will try there.

21. Bes

Bes Member

FYI John came and did the plastering and did a superb job at a reasonable price. :thumbs: Nice guy too.

Winot and editor like this.
  22. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Yeah he's ace. Have used him a few times and recommended him on here before.

23. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

I need two non standard doors hanging : any recommendations?

24. quimcunx

quimcunx Too tall.

No help but we passed yours on Saturday and saw the door outside!

25. Miss-Shelf

Lol. No one wants that door!

26. TalkingDrum

TalkingDrum New Member

Hello! I am looking for a gardener to clear my garden and strip in right back so that it is ready for a 'new lease of life'!! Recommendations would be really welcome!:)

27. Miss-Shelf

Still looking for door person/carpenter -one person was recommended but can't do it yet

28. Reiabuzz

Reiabuzz Banned Banned

Can someone recommend a painter/decorator and also a gardener?

29. nagapie

nagapie Well-Known Member

Best locksmiths? Ta.

30. spanglechick

spanglechick High Empress of Dressing Up

It may be worth saying that my boyfriend is a general builder but also available for handyman-type jobs. PM for his contact details.