1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton tradesmen recommendations: plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, van drivers etc

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Mrs Magpie, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

I thought about having it for similar reasons but a friend has some and I don't think it looks great. It looked alright when they first got it but is hasn't worn too well IMO. I'm now thinking of going for a meadowy grass area now.

Greebo likes this.
  2. Hart18

Hart18 New Member

Hi will,
    Need some floor to ceiling cupboards built in hallway and kitchen and wondered if this was your thing?
    Let me know
    Thanks
    Stephen

3. Jangleballix

Jangleballix Better living through chemistry.

With the closure of Diamond Merchants where is the best place locally for domestic plumbing supplies?

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  4. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

They are only moving a bit further down Acre Lane towards Clapham Jangleballix - just ring 'em up and ask them when they're changing over and when you can get into the new site. I think it was going to go where the funeral parlour is/was - call them and check 020 7737 3244

5. Jangleballix

Jangleballix Better living through chemistry.

Excellent.

6. Maharani

Help! Need a chippie urgently for next week to fit a new front door. Any recoms?

7. Maharani

How are his rates?

8. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Not sure as he's always estimated jobs for me.
    Nice chap

Maharani likes this.
  9. Tommy G

Tommy G New Member

I have a pigeon infested balcony at a flat in Stockwell Park; looking for handyman who can carry out a deep clean and source / hang pigeon netting. Any suggestions?

10. Maharani

Tony just did my back garden. We decided on gravel as it's shady and the grass never grew. I'm so happy with the result. Tony is great, very nice bloke and trustworthy. I was holed up in hospital when he worked on my garden. Highly recommend him. Thanks sparkybird.

Miss-Shelf and sparkybird like this.
  11. sparkybird

Really pleased it all worked out! And hope you're recovered now Maharani
    He's such a decent chap and a great gardener too!

12. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

Tony is ace

Maharani likes this.
  13. Lorraine

Lorraine New Member

Hello there. Looking for a handyman or carpenter to put up some shelves in alcoves either side of chimney breast. Any recommendations? Ta

14. ash

ash Inittogether

Hi
    Does anyone know of a builder we have water seeping through an external wall can't work out from where or how?

15. bossykate

bossykate Well-Known Member

Have you checked your gutters?

Angellic likes this.
  16. Daggerdog

Daggerdog New Member

I can recommend Jovaner without reservation. He recently finished painting all of the outside of our Victorian house ie woodwork, masonry & gutters/down-pipes and carried out a quite exceptional job. We have had it done a few times since we moved here just under 20 years ago, but I can honestly say that for the first time it looks spanking brand new again! Window frames that were rotten in places have been restored to their original condition; sash windows that only opened with an effort now run up and down smoothly; cracks that were still visibly filled can no longer be seen; pipes were all removed, rubbed down, sealed and painted before being put back. We had a problem with a section of the wall outside the lounge (paint flaking in places and falling off) that no-one has ever got to the bottom of - until now. Because his preparation is so thorough, after sanding the painted masonry properly Jovaner discovered a number of small (and not so small) cracks that allowed water to get into the brickwork. He explained how the bricks 'suck up' the water and proposed an affordable solution (filling the cracks and then applying a flexible paint-on rubber strip along the base of the house). Jovaner takes a real pride in his work which he approaches with a care and professionalism I have never come across before. It still puts a smile on my face to go outside and see what he's achieved! I'm so pleased we chose him from all the quotes we obtained, after seeing one of the recommendations on another site. I am happy for Jovaner to give my name and number to anyone who is considering whether to use him. You can phone Jovaner on 07450 985602.

17. phillm

phillm Well-Known Member

Hi there can anybody recommend a good locksmith / chippie who could fit two supplied 3 lever deadlocks into two internal wood doors. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

18. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

Are you me? I need the same thing doing ;)

19. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

Did you get one and woukd you recommend them?

20. Maharani

I didn't. Long story! I can PM you. Do you just need a chippie? Tony (gardener) gave me a number for a builder. You could try him?

21. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Magnum fairy

I need plumber and chippie

Guineveretoo has given me numbers if two plumbers

I've also left a message for the people sparkybird recommend

Yeah pm me Tony's builders number
    Thanks

PS pm me the long story

22. sparkybird

You could try Tommy my carpenter on 07801638639

23. phillm

phillm Well-Known Member

Many thanks sparkybird - will do.

24. phillm

phillm Well-Known Member

Just rang him and he has now retired and moved into a new home with about a years work to do - so the search goes on .

25. sparkybird

Oh, sorry about that - I bumped into him about 6 months ago and he said he was taking semi retirement but was still doing small jobs. Maybe the new house is more work than he thought! I guess he didn't recommend anyone?

26. sparkybird

Hmm, try Simone on 07553128598. He's a builder but does carpentry IIRC

27. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

phillm likes this.
  28. sparkybird

Oddly enough, just had a text from another carpenter - I thought he'd stooped working in the area, but he confirmed he still does - nice chap
    He's more of a cabinet maker, nut might be helpful for someone here and he might do the locks if he's in the area

Contact

29. phillm

phillm Well-Known Member

Not to worry thanks for the heads up I'll try your other guy and let you know how I get on. No he didn't but sounded like a nice guy and sorry he couldn't have helped.

30. phillm

phillm Well-Known Member