1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton tradesmen recommendations: plumbers, electricians, locksmiths, van drivers etc

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Mrs Magpie, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

Surprised BHF accept any CRT tvs at all to be honest.

If it's too big to carry, get a lift to Vale Street free recycling, or club together with other neighbours for a street collection - first four items £20.

Or if none of those appeal, maybe smash it up and put it in your bin.

2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I was surprised too - but they are.
    Smashing up is definitely illegal - mercury and other contaminants involved.
    I shall just have to cultivate a friendly car owner.

3. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

Aye. So is leaving it on the street - where it will probably get smashed up! So of the two - better in the bin, I say.

Check Vale street opening times. They are open all weekend so close one or two days in the week. I regularly forget this. :facepalm:

4. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

They're closed Tuesday and Wednesday. I literally just walked past there :D

CH1 and Rushy like this.
  5. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

couldnt you find someone to remove the innards and recycle as trendy shabby chic fish tanks or terrariums :thumbs:

6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Yes good idea - it could be adapted to be a work of public art to enhance the planters up by the crack clinic.

cuppa tee likes this.
  7. MissL

MissL Well-Known Member

hello. wondering if anyone knows someone who can help with a bit of garden clearance/ tidying - breaking up some concrete and removing it, taking up a large tree stump, removing old grass/ laying new turf and fitting a new fence? thanks.

8. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

You could try my gardener Tony Lee on

9. ash

ash Inittogether

Has anyone had secondary glazing installed and can recommend a company ??

10. sparkybird

11. sparkybird

Can anyone recommend a good solicitor and/or accountant who can advise on the move from sole trader to Ltd company? Not for me, but for Mr sparkybird who business is online retail.
    Thanks

12. ash

ash Inittogether

I use a retired accountant who is the mum of a friend of a friend. I have emailed her to see if she is in the market for new clients and will let you know.?

sparkybird likes this.
  13. ash

ash Inittogether

14. katie_m

katie_m Well-Known Member

Does anyone know a good glazier or locksmith (?) - not sure what I need really. We have folding patio doors that were put in maybe 5 years ago. The doors (frame, handle etc) were imported from Poland by the chap who did the work. He's since gone off radar. My husband managed to break the door handle off recently, when the doors were closed, so there's no way of opening them. It's proving impossible to source a new handle. Have had one quote to replace the whole thing - new doors, new glass etc - but it's ££££s and there must be a way of just fixing the lock/handle.
    Any advice v gratefully received as a bit stuck.

15. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

I've found Kingseal in Clapham very helpful in the past.
    Kingseal Windows

16. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

It shouldn't be necessary to replace the whole lot just because the handle's broken! And depending on exactly what's broken it might be a fairly simple DIY job. Can you post a photo of the broken handle?

Rushy likes this.
  17. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Put it on freecycle. There might well be someone who thinks they might use it for something some day. Then it can sit cluttering up their house for the next 10 years instead of yours :thumbs:

CH1 likes this.
  18. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Anyone need an ikea kallax unit - 2x4 in black:

KALLAX Shelving unit - white - IKEA

Second hand for me, but has just stored records for a year or so, so is still in good condition.

It's in Herne Hill / Brixton, but you'll need some way of transporting it once it's been taken apart (this Saturday).

19. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

Do you think it would work laid on it's side?

20. SpamMisery

SpamMisery He lives among them. He is "of" them.

It does. My mate uses one on its side for his decks with the squares holding his records

Rushy likes this.
  21. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Yup, that's how mine is at the mo.

22. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

I was going to build some shelves in a cupboard. Puting this inside would save a lot of hassle. So if no one else needs it...

Might save you dismantling it too?

23. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

You're welcome to it!

Think it might struggle to get into the lift unless it's dismantled though.

I'll send you a pm

Rushy likes this.
  24. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Anyone know a good drainage engineer?

25. Rushy

Rushy igam ogam

Don the Drain.

Winot likes this.
  26. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

blockbusters just did ours

Winot likes this.
  27. elmparker

elmparker Member

ROOFER needed. Roof is leaking in my bedroom. Does anyone have the details of someone good that wont cost the earth? I'm just off Brixton Hill. Thanks in advance.

28. technical

technical stripey

Storm Imogen has done for a panel in our back garden fence. Does anyone have any recommendations for someone who could fix it please?

29. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

I used these: very quick and didn't try to quote for a whole new roof when I just needed a repair (unlike some other local firms)

30. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Link is missing!

brixtonblade likes this.