Brixton taxi and mini-cab recommendations please

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 3, 2013.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm about to update the Brixton information pages on the site and move them over to BrixtonBuzz, so I thought I'd ask to see what people's current recommendations for cabs and mini cabs are.

These are the ones that were recommended last time. Any updates on these? Any new ones?

Abbey cars Herne Hill, 020 7733 3333
    Addison Lee, 0844 800 6677 - plus online booking.
    Browns Cars Tulse Hill, 020 8671 7878, 020 7266 3636
    P&L Car Hire, 166, Acre Lane SW2, 020 7274 1133
    Page Transport (formerly Brockwell Cabs) 020 7733 3333
    Reliable Radio Cars 299 Railton Rd, SE24, 020 8671 6666

I'll also add details of some of the more popular apps too.

2. Minnie_the_Minx

Minnie_the_Minx someinenhhanding menbag and me ah bollox

Swift - 020 8674 4444 (although I remember it being 020 8671 5000, so whether they have a few numbers...?)

Safe Cars - 020 8671 9999 (may be 020 8678 7575) or it may be both

(both Streatham Hill)

3. Maurice Picarda

Maurice Picarda Actually, might as well flounce.

Do you really want to advertise Addison Lee? Their drivers get bonuses for every cyclist that they sideswipe.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm simply reflecting what urban posters have recommended thus far. They are a horrible Tory boy company though. Maybe I'll add that to the listing.

5. Balham

Balham If it ain't in London then, well, it just ain't.

tony.c likes this.
  6. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

7. Chilavert

Chilavert Undermining strikes :-(

Keen Group up in Streatham are very good in my experience.

8. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

Greyhound Cars! Very prompt and reasonable.

9. Badgers

Badgers Mr Big Shrimp!

Had good service from Fiveways on Loughborough Road. Annoyingly did not keep a number though :hmm:

10. Balham

Looking at their site they seem to indicate they are licensed taxis by the photos (see thefleet section) and then by their rates saying 'taxi service'. Or are they minicabs \ private hire?

11. komodo

komodo Well-Known Member

Why did that black cab rank outside the Ritzy disappear? Something to do with the price maybe? Why oh why does somewhere as busy as Brixton not have a cab rank (and it could be any old type of taxi as far as I am concerned). They have one in Bromley!

12. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

I've only used the minicab side of the business and have found them reliable and friendly, my experience of getting a car right to the steps of a waiting jet as shown in the airport section remains unfulfilled thus far.

13. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf I've looked at life from both sides now

I've always found them to be reliable and lovely
    never rip me off taking my cats to the vet either
    0208 769 4321

Greebo likes this.
  14. Balham

Good point, eight ranks in Lambeth yet none in Brixton.

Greebo likes this.
  15. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Yes they are but charge £1.50 more from Brixton to Palace than Abbey Cars who are usually quicker on pick up.

16. Frumious B.

Frumious B. Well-Known Member

I use Fab Granada cars,020 7274 0165, 400 Coldharbour Lane, two doors from Blacker Dread. The drivers are a good bunch, some of the cars are dead plush. It's so central I'm surprised no other Brixtonites have mentioned it. It used to be just Granada cars, the 'Fab' is from the owner's surname, Fabusiwa. He's the brother of Tony Fabusiwa of the House of Bottles offy.

Thimble Queen likes this.
  17. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

When Windrush Square was redeveloped they got rid of it iirc - so about three years ago I reckon.

18. story

story Changing the facts

I always use Abbey Cars cos the number is so easy to remember.

Well. I say that but when they introduced the new extra 7 (with the 020 bit) it all got a bit confusing. Please bear in mind that I usually only calla cab when I am several sheets to the wind.

Seven three three three three three three is somehow far easier to deal with than is seven seven three three three three three three.

Greebo likes this.
  19. Thimble Queen

Thimble Queen Sparkly cat whisperer

I use Fab Granada too. It's practically on my doorstep. They are good about getting my cat up the vets an all.

20. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Abbey=Page

Not sure which is the most recent incarnation.

21. Balham

Bromley has seven ranks.
    The only type of taxis available are Vitos and TXs at the moment so (though is the Asquith still about?).

Am sure I read somewhere about the procedure of establishing a taxi rank. Something like the council has to see if there is a demand and if so wat what times, not all ranks are 24 hour a day ranks. Who is going to pay for the upkeep of said rank, does this infringe on the passage of other road users, residents, et al. Loads of things to consider in deciding on a rank.

I supose one thing you might be able to do Komodo is to write to LB Lambeth and ask about cab ranks in Brixton, see what they have to say.

Ah, the Asquith, it is no more so if any are still on the road they are the last.

Hope I have the use of et al right.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

One of their drivers *really* ripped off an act from the Albert once so I'm a bit loathe to recommend them.

23. Minnie_the_Minx

Hm, wonder if Granada Cars were the same ones who I used for a trip to work once only to be pulled up by the police near Trafalgar Square and driver still had the cheek to demand money off me :hmm:

24. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Never had trouble with Millennium: 02086746000

quimcunx likes this.
  25. komodo

komodo Well-Known Member

Yes the cab rank outside the Ritzy was obliterated when Windrush Square was created. But it gradually declined in the years before that,it was a bit out of the way and black cabs too pricey for most of us. I will ask the Council about it, but does anyone have any idea where they could put one!?

26. Minnie_the_Minx

On top of the fountain in Windrush Square

27. Balham

Not such an easy one to answer, Atlantic Road, there is a section where the double yellow lines change to double red lines. Except, to change those the council would need a good reason to. Problem for the taxis is northboud Brixton Road - no right turn into Atlantic Road. West bound on Atlantic Road no left turn on Brixton Road.

Brighton Terrace facing east, there are already two parking bays there (aren't there?). Only problem, no right turn on to Brixton Road.
    Tunstall Road (by Bernay's Grove). Walking distance from the tube, exit leaving by Bernay's Grove, left Brighton Terrace but then again, no right turn on to Brixton Road. Pretty tight in Brixton for spaces really, even for a rank for two cabs.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

29. Minnie_the_Minx

30. Frumious B.

Frumious B. Well-Known Member

Not sure that Granada deserve to be left out because of one dodgy driver, who's probably not even there any more.