1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton Somerleyton Road development and Brixton Green - funding, proposed rents etc

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by ViolentPanda, Dec 11, 2013.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And the chef school which was of course completely unrelated to the business interests of one of their head guys who ran a restaurant.
    Tricky Skills and Gramsci like this.
  2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

On the Somerleyton road scheme I think the Council made two mistakes.

Council officers interest in the Council developing the site pre dated arrival of Brixton Green. The Brixton Master plan envisaged building a new community there. This was all before Brixton Green.

The Ovalhouse theatre were looking at the site before BG turned up.

I know some Lambeth officers were looking at what other boroughs were already doing. The Council becoming a builder again.

Over the years Councils capacity to design and build has withered away.

Getting Neil Vokes in to manage the development was good decision of Council. He was able. He had ability, that BG lacked, to work with community. He was also , in my experience, straight forward. Unlike BG. The Council should have kept him on this scheme. Instead, as he is very able, they shunted him off to Cressingham. Big mistake.

Secondly the Council, through no fault of its own, lacks capacity to design and build sites. The Council should have concentrated the limited number of officers and resources they have to finish the Somerleyton road project first. Before starting plans , that are resented by residents, to redevelop existing estates.

Somerleyton road project could have been a win win situation. It's basically empty undeveloped site. Council could have used it to develop capacity to do other sites. Such as the Brixton Central site. Where pop is now.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    editor likes this.
  3. Gramsci

Third mistake of Council was to make Brixton Green the "community partners". I actually felt sorry for some officers having to deal with them.
    editor likes this.
  4. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

Brixton Green is claiming that the Council stopped attending the Steering Group meetings, if we are to believe what The Bugle printed.

This whole timeline could have some more clarity if Lambeth Council kept to its original pledge of publishing the minutes from the Steering Group. This is something that residents were told would happen when the project first started.

The last time they were published was way back in September 2014. An awful lot has taken place since then.

We put in an FOI at Buzz to see the minutes. Brixton Green were after all a community organisation that were supposedly representing locals.

The FOI was refused.

Complete jokers - Brixton Green and the Progress Cabinet.
    Casaubon, Gramsci and editor like this.
  5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Any news of the Brixton Green AGM?

I spent 4 hours today at meetings connected with Lambeth CCG (the people who determine what services you won't get from your GP, and which surgery to close down next) so I was too fagged out to got to the two meetings at the Department Store.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They'll probably publish the minutes sometime in June 2025.
    Gramsci likes this.
  7. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

A photo has emerged on the Twittersphere
    Gramsci likes this.
  8. Gramsci

Thing is Rachel wasn't always happy with BG. But didn't say anything when she was in Cabinet. BG as a "community group" had favoured status with the Progress/ New Labour Lambeth Labour party. As BG fitted in with New Labour thinking.

It's more than annoying to see BG now try and position themselves as victims of this New Labour administration.

The Council Somerleyton road project isn't about taking away anything from people/ community. As in the library issue, parks or "regenerating" existing Council estates.

Now it looks like the Council won't hand over the finished project ( built with Council and Ovalhouse money) to BG. They are now trying to align themselves with groups actually defending publicly owned services and land. It's annoying.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    editor and Tricky Skills like this.
  9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I'm a bit concerned that nothing is going to happen for ages anyway.

Obviously council affairs are on hold from the councillor point of view for the next six months (allowing for elections, new appointments/reshuffling, summer holidays).

Also I went past the Oval House last week and there is a "For Sale" sign on the roof, which suggests there is no actual buyer lined up in a long-term deal as yet.
    One wonders whether the old annoying crew at Brixton Green are still in command? Maybe Rachel has some idea on that. Philippe is managing Pop Brixton at the moment. Is he poised for a Brixton Green comeback as soon as council cash flows? Brad - AWOL? No mention of him lately.

Dinah Roake, who was chair in 2017 seems the most knowledgeable - is she still around?