1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton Road is still one of London's most polluted roads

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 7, 2015.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is shocking - the road has suffered unacceptable levels of pollution for years now and it's not getting any better:
    http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/2015/01/...eu-pollution-limit-for-all-of-2015-this-week/

2. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Yep - Having lived by that road for about 15yrs I was disturbed to read that. Didn't read in detail but from a quick glance it looked like Brixton Road is 40% worse than Oxford street which was the headline story?

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The press focused on sexier Oxford Street, but Brixton Road was the most polluted in terms of NO2 levels last year by a considerable factor - and it was the same story in 2010.

Greebo likes this.
  4. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

what can we do?

Greebo likes this.
  5. Rushy

Breathe less.

Miss-Shelf and leanderman like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Lobby more. Write about it. Publicise it.

leanderman likes this.
  7. story

story Changing the facts

But in any case, what can be done about it?

Can traffic be limited or reduced on this street? It's a major through route. Obviously the larger issue is vehicles, fuel, particulates etc. but that's a larger policy issue.

Greebo likes this.
  8. story

story Changing the facts

What would we be asking for though?

Where would the traffic go?

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  9. leanderman

I'd impose some sanctions on private cars.

plurker likes this.
  10. Rushy

That would be local and not help. Issue is main arterial route for lorries and busses (and non local cars).

plurker and Greebo like this.
  11. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

Put up wires and convert all buses to trolley buses.

12. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

IIRC diesel engines produce a lot more NO2 than petrol engines (with catalytic converters), and there's an awful lot of buses on Brixton Road.

I suggest replacing them with a tram system. Maybe one like this:

[​IMG]

;)

friendofdorothy and Smick like this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It needs a whole load of coordinated strategies, but maybe banning big diesel lorries in peak hours (where they're forced to go slowly because of traffic) or insisting that the most polluting vehicles be retrofitted with filters might help? Either way it is unacceptable that Brixtonites should be forced to inhale such health threatening fumes every day.

innit and Greebo like this.
  14. Crispy

Crispy The following psytrance is baṉned: All

re-installing tram lines would be incredibly disruptive. You have to re-route utilities because the point loads from trams are much higher than regular traffic. They'd also have to share space with buses, thus removing the scheduling benefits.

Trolley buses are the answer. Most buses in London are already Hybrids, so should be convertable to electric operation. They could even keep their diesel engines for driving "off the wires"

Greebo likes this.
  15. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Greebo likes this.
  16. leanderman

I have the impression that most of the traffic is private cars, which slow down vehicles that provide more utility: buses, lorries, vans and taxis.

Or is it the case that lorries produce the bulk of these pollutants?

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Diesel lorries, vans and buses are the real BaD BoyZ, with the situation made worse by the congestion caused by private cars.

Greebo likes this.
  18. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

i would guess that a good percentage of the private cars on the road at rush hour are doing school runs
    this could easily be stopped by making kids go to the nearest school to their house

editor likes this.
  19. cuppa tee

How do you identify private cars ?

20. steeeve

steeeve Well-Known Member

buses seem the worst to me especially when blocking the road next to the station while trying to overtake each other.

Even the new Routemasters fail the ultra low emission zone criteria

Greebo and leanderman like this.
  21. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Because they'll be the ones saluting the captain cars.

Manter, SWB, Greebo and 4 others like this.
  22. leanderman

No taxi stamp or company logos etc. Not likely to be precise.

In ten minutes outside Olive Morris house today, most of the traffic (80%?) was private cars, by my rough definition.

23. cuppa tee

Was this around school run time ?
    Was there congestion ?

Greebo likes this.
  24. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

IIRC there's a scheme in place to convert all London Transport buses to zero or ultra-low emissions, but I don't know what the time scale is for completion... The sooner the better, that's for sure.

25. Winot

Not sure about this - it's only anecdata but most primary school pupils I know are walked to school and I would guess most secondary school pupils (in London) get there under their own steam.

Edit to add: the school admission process is already based on distance to school. Most parents would love to be 'made' to go to their closest school; the reality is those schools are often over-subscribed.

I seem to remember a stat that most private car journeys within London are less than 2 miles.

Most cars I see on my bike route into town are delivery/commercial vehicles.

muscovyduck and Greebo like this.
  26. Winot

See post #15.

T & P likes this.
  27. leanderman

No major congestion (why does this matter?) A little before school run.

But you are right: always a few cars outside our kids' school, usually with their engines on.

Not sure what you can do about this issue because families can move house or choose further-away schools.

28. SWB

SWB Banned Banned

Short term the partial solution is to switch back to petrol.

Longer term I think LPG was dismissed too easily in the dash for diesel.

29. billythefish

billythefish toad licker

The problem with Diesel is that it better for the global environment (lower greenhouse gases and better consumption), but worse for localised pollution. All modern diesels have catalysts and particulate filters and these can be retrofitted to any vehicle with an ECU. Surely it should be an MOT failure not to have these fitted?
    The highest polluted areas seem to be where you have a lot of stationary traffic and a relatively narrow street with tall buildings that contain the fumes. They should have moved most of the bus stops in Brixton to the Windrush Square / St Matthews Island / Town Hall pavements where there is more space for buses to manoeuvre and through-traffic to get past.
    Oxford Street should have a shuttle service (tram or trolley bus) with all bus routes terminating at each end.
    My tuppence-worth...

muscovyduck and leanderman like this.
  30. SWB

SWB Banned Banned

Some good points above. Diesel cars are getting cleaner but my understanding is that they are still not as clean as petrol engines, which have themselves been improving.

If I lived in London and had to drive then a petrol C1 or Aygo would be my choice.

Greebo likes this.