1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton Road is still one of London's most polluted roads & set to break ENTIRE 2015 limit soon

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I'd imagine that those parents who drive their kids to work then drive home again. I like most to walk my daughter to school, she is on the scooter. We get a real good chat about what she has planned for the day ahead, maybe sing a few songs if she is not grumpy. Time like that is hard to beat. If the weather is bad we'll use the bus. But I then head in to town. If I were going home, I'd probably drive it.

Greebo and editor like this.
  2. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Not under my pay-per-mile in-car toll scheme you wouldn't!

3. Smick

We already have such a scheme, it's called duty on road fuel.

4. moon

moon Happy Happy Jo Wonderland

Totally selfish and lazy car drivers putting everyone's health at risk!

5. Smick

There are people with flash cars with loud stereos and they just go round and round in them. I've seen it on particularly long waits for the N2, they circle Brixton Road, Coldharbour Lane and then come back up from that direction again. Three times in ten minutes. Range Rovers, BMWs, Mercs. At least lazy parents on the school run are actually going somewhere.

Greebo likes this.
  6. moon

The type of car and entertainment choice is irrelevant. I think they would also claim they were going somewhere, even if it was round in circles..

7. Smick

They're just cruising. It's a form of entertainment. Get a really good car with a bassy bassy stereo. Then head round town in that for the night. Their journey probably stops and starts in the same place, their house, stopping only to pick up their mates who cruise with them. I'm quite envious.

8. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I really don't think many children are.

leanderman likes this.
  9. moon

I'm sure you can strap a mini sound system onto a pimped retro bicycle and cruise on that..
    In fact I've seen loads of people doing that already..

Greebo likes this.
  10. Smick

That's true. Maybe I just notice the Beemers and the Range Rovers but they're more likely to be driving round in their ma's Fiesta which goes under my radar.

11. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Don't conflate the issue. A lot of (young) people living at home lease unnecessarily prestigious motors because the availabilty of credit makes it possible and because the wish for status makes it desirable.

12. moon

Oh god this thread has also gone to rat shit..

13. leanderman

Despite the so-called 'war on the motorist', there's plenty of evidence that driving is pretty cheap, especially when you consider rail fares.

Do motoring taxes exceed the costs of the road network and associated externalities such as pollution?

14. Smick

I don't know what conflate means.

I was only saying that while driving kids to a nearby school is bad, driving round with no destination is worse.

15. Smick

I have no idea. But there is a direct charge with increases with usage.

16. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

Kids have got to have a hobby... Has got to be better than drugs and guns.

17. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

What if they're driving round in their bass-mobiles selling drugs and toting guns? :)

Greebo likes this.
  18. fredfelt

fredfelt Mostly unknown member

I don't think that there's any measure that you could use to objectively claim that there is a 'war on the motorist' - except to count the newspaper headlines containing the phrase, or indeed politicians using the phrase to get admiration from 'hard working families' by declaring that they feel the pain of the motorist.

Take this example, from The Mirror "Labour yesterday vowed to stop demonising motorists and start championing them as it declared its war on drivers was over."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-car-war-over--new-4730050

In regard to costs and taxes raised from the road network it really depends on how you measure it and who you ask. However I don't think cost benefit analysis' of this nature are very helpful. You can't really put a value on quality of life. You can associate a cost to a life lost through an road traffic accident, a cost of obesity through lack of exercise, costs of traffic jams, the rational is that when you know the cost of something there's a justification to address those costs by investing to resolve the immediate problem

Once you start doing cost benefit analysis you are already committed to a certain point of view. That is one of economic efficiency (ie it's worth making this junction safer at x cost as y amount of people have died at it. Or you can justify an extra lane on a road by pricing the opportunity cost of people sitting in a traffic jam).

What missing about such economic analysis is any kind of vision of what kind of society we want to build. Do we want to continue to invest in, and propagate a car dependant society, is the supposed freedom to be able to drive with minimal personal cost worth having at the expense of stopping children going outside at break times as the playground is too polluted, should our streets automatically be planned to allow maximum flow of cars at the expense of anyone else who's not sitting in a car.

My understanding in that planners plan for more cars being driven more often. The nihilist neo-liberal mind sent directs public money to accommodate the demand. They don't plan for less polluted streets, nor do they plan for cycling, walking, or even public transport displacing the demands of the motorist. They plan for more cars, and we get more cars.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    Belushi, leanderman and Greebo like this.
  19. leanderman

Agreed: I think you said what I said.

20. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Bump. In this BBC article you can search your postcode for pollution levels. I've just done a search for the postcode of the Iceland supermarket in Brixton, and they claim the pollution in that area is 'average'... :hmm:

Pollution hotspots revealed