1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton Ritzy - upcoming films, reviews and opinions

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by Gramsci, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Effrasurfer

Effrasurfer SW2 I Love You

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  2. Orang Utan

Orang Utan Sub-Sub-Librarian

Saw The Badadook there on Saturday.
    Quite impressive Oz horror about parental resentment towards children. The sound design was fantastic and the monster is quite creepy.

3. Miss-Shelf

Miss-Shelf Friend of the one trick pony

What does SEO mean?

4. Effrasurfer

Effrasurfer SW2 I Love You

Search Engine Optimization. Fiddling with websites to influence how high they occur on the page when you search for them on Google.

Miss-Shelf likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If they go ahead with these mass sackings (and it's what the workers want), I'm more inclined to keep listing their events on Brixton Buzz but then also add the reasons why the cinema should be boycotted under each entry...

Winot likes this.
  6. Orang Utan

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If the Ritzy workers want a boycott at the Ritzy, then that's what I'll support. Bit difficult to boycott other places I never go to, though. Or rather it's dead easy, but rather ineffectual!

8. Orang Utan

Sure, but you are not the only person to read this and there are many Picturehouse cinemas in London.

(BTW I only went to the Ritzy because a friend of mine works there and I got in for free. I didnt buy any snacks or owt).

9. Quartz

Quartz Eclectic contrarian plebeian

Just spotted that the story has made it to the Guardian and thought of this thread.

10. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Its on the Ritzy strike thread on this forum.

11. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

If you want to have a good 3 hour snooze - book a ticket for Interstellar.....

12. Gramsci

Is it that bad?

I was listening to the Saturday Review on radio 4 and it was panned by them. It has had mixed reviews.

13. Gramsci

Belushi likes this.
  14. sparkybird

It was pretty bad... The guy next to me left after about an hour. Matthew Mcconaughey did the best he could with it (loved him in Magic Mike and Dallas Buyers Club), Anne Hathaway was, meh, and Michael Caine brought ZERO to the table. But it was mainly the story was rubbish and it was just toooooo long. The music was the best thing if I'm honest!

Screen 1 was pretty packed, but the mood somewhat subdued

Off to see Mr Turner later - hope this is better!!

Gramsci likes this.
  15. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Turner is also very long, but good acting. Didn't enjoy it myself - but that could just be me.

16. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I want to go see The Imitation Game. Some friends of mine rated it highly. Anyone seen it yet? don't spoil it for me.

17. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Britain wins the war.

18. 299 old timer

299 old timer Well-Known Member

The world's doomed. Our cowboy saviour finds a Nasa rocket and flies it into a wormhole where, on the other side, he encounters Spock and Captain James T Kirk. They save the world. The end.

Gramsci likes this.
  19. sparkybird

Enjoyed Mr Turner - can't really say why. Yes it's long and not much happens but somehow it kept me engaged. Mr Spall was great!

Gramsci likes this.
  20. Gramsci

As its Ritzy cheap day on Mondays I saw "Nightcrawler" and "Leviathan".

Two contrasting films. One fast paced American the other slow meditative Russian. What they had in common is that they both featured men on the edge living in nightmarish societies.

Jake Gyllenhaal character Lou in Nightcrawler has been compared in reviews to Travis from Taxi Driver. I think that there is a definite reference to that earlier film about USA by the director of this film. This time it revolves around the news in US. Without spoiling the end of film its more nightmarish than Taxi Driver. This film goes beyond the media as an indictment of the ruthless nature of present day American society. I also liked it as its got a sense of (very black) humour and verges on B movie sordidity at times. Stops the film being to worthy.

Its also a film about voyeurism. As Nina ( Rene Russo as the hot older woman) the TV news director says car crashes and bloody crime is what makes the news. It reminded me of Haneke film "Funny Games". Which Haneke made to criticize violence onscreen. The aftermath of violence shown in Nightcrawler and the way Lou gets so engrossed in filming it does not glamorous it in any way. One of the good things about this film. There are elements of horror in Nightcrawler despite it being rooted in reality.

"Leviathan" is very very Russian. Russian films like this are like marmite. You either like them or loath them. I like them. Its long ( surprise surprise) with slow long takes. I bumped into another cinephile at Ritzy who had just seen it before I did. He noticed that for a long slow film the audience settled down and were gripped by it. I would agree. It did hold peoples attention. It held mine even though I am not quite sure what it was about. Starts out as film about political corruption and ends with a discussion about faith. In particular the story in the Bible about Job. In between its about father/ son relationship, Russian masculinity ( drinking and shooting), the Kafkaesque legal system ie the small town is a microcosm of present day Russia. I do not mind not being sure exactly what a film is about if it grips me like this film did. The visuals are wonderful. Like Nightcrawler the heavy nature of its story is lightened by streaks of black humour.

trabuquera and sparkybird like this.
  21. sparkybird

Thanks Gramsci! Really want to see Leviathan (hope it's still on next weekend!)

Gramsci likes this.
  22. Gramsci

Its not. Last showing is this Thursday.

23. Gramsci

A documentary by the director of Black Power Mixtape is being shown this Sunday with a Q&A with the director.

From the website

Rocket no.9 likes this.
  24. Gramsci

Hunger Games is nearly selling out at Ritzy.And its in screen one.

What I object to is that the last book is now divided into two films. They copied this from the Hobbit I reckon. Refused to see a three film version of a small book.

25. sparkybird

Just got back from seeing Birdman - screen one was pretty empty - I guess a lot of people are away

All I can say is - JUST GO!

Best film by far this year

(and I booked and saved my ticket on my new phone - I'm all techied up now, me!)

26. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

What are the ethics of buying Ritzy membership? I'm a bit of touch having been away, has the pay dispute been resolved ? Is everyone still supporting it by going etc.

Leviathan is recommended if it's still on. It's not often you catch a slice of Russia on screen. I was eager to drink vodka afterwards, warning:oops:

27. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Agreed. It's very funny.

28. Gramsci

Its been resolved for now. Yes its ok to go.

The Ritzy ticket prices are winding me up. Cheapday Mondays. More on weekday evening. Even more all day Saturday and Sunday now.

Leviathan is not on now. It was still on at Curzon. Grim but very good film.

29. leanderman

leanderman Street Party: July 2

Membership seems good value.

30. Gramsci

It is if you go enough.

But its all these memberships you have to pay up front for. Curzon do one. £55 is a lot to pay upfront for many people.

BFI membership ( which is a real membership as it gives you voting rights and the membership goes to support film)gives discounts at ICA and Cine Lumiere as well as BFI.