Brixton Ritzy staff in pay dispute for London Living Wage with Picturehouse Cinemas

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 12, 2014.

1. discobastard

discobastard ____*\(oo)/*____

Should the issue about paying the London Living Wage be extended to other businesses? Should I boycott those other local businesses as well? What do you think?

I am not being confrontational (and I'll say for the last time I am not defending Picturehouse, I am avoiding them also), I am wondering what people think of that. Seems odd to single out one business, but maybe there is a good reason for it.

2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Im not singling out one business. Ritzy workers asked me to boycott cinema.

I've already posted up that I think the boycott was a tactical mistake.

3. Gramsci

As this is issue for you the Ritzy workers campaign have a FB page and you can ask them directly these questions. As it was them and the Union Bectu who called the boycott.

Pickman's model likes this.
  4. discobastard

Why's that (genuine question). Read your posts but not clear on that.

So many people have no idea that there is even an issue, although there is a sense that people should have educated themselves about it.

5. discobastard

No response?

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think these people may have known about it. What's your take on the scene?

Laughing drinkers:

[​IMG]

Looking at this:

[​IMG]

7. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

I bet they are laughing at poor people

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No, really, what's your take on what happened there?

Would you be happy to laugh and joke and drink beer when there's a massive workers' protest against the venue taking place a metre away?

9. Gramsci

Post 416 here for example:

Brixton Ritzy - upcoming films, reviews and opinions

10. alcopop

It’s looks like their crime is to be middle class.

Hangings too good for them

Bastards

And yes I would be happy, doubt it was a massive protest tbh

11. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

fuck off, it was a protest to get fair, decent pay, to survive in London, you know....

Gramsci and editor like this.
  12. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

tbh, LLW isn't even 'decent' pay, it's just a few bobs to buy food and stuff.
    they are being undermined and laughed at for asking for very very little and equally putting their livelihoods on the line.
    the white shirts are cunts, regardless their class and whatever they are laughing at. they shouldnt be sitting there drinking, end of.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    editor and Gramsci like this.
  13. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

It’s nowhere near decent pay. It’s not even really a Living Wage

14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I didn't mention the class of the people drinking, laughing and joking in the venue that the workers were protesting against. However, I did find their attitude disgusting.
    I think that rather sums up you, your politics and the contempt you have for workers trying to get a decent wage. Shame on you.

And it was a massive protest. If you'd been there to support the workers, you'd now that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. alcopop

Ahem

16. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

I didn't say anything about the size of the protest, I wasn't there. Now fuck off.

17. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

+ editor wasn't talking about the size of the protest, but was talking about the number of people in support of the strikers. Again, fuck off.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ahem what? You were disputing the size of the protest in front of the drinkers in the photo who were having such a good time in front of the workers.
    As ever you were wrong, which is understandable because you weren't there. There was indeed a very large turnout that day.

Pulling up a quote describing what has happened on other days is completely irrelevant.

19. alcopop

Hmmm

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm getting really bored with your disruptive behaviour. Either make a substantive point or go post your pro-scab eulogies elsewhere.

21. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

It's probably one of them.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

23. discobastard

I suspect some people would be, yes. Like I say, you weigh up what is important to you and you prioritise things in life. Doesn't make you a bad person.

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was asking what you would do, not what "some people" might do. But I guess your obfuscation reveals the truth.

And yes, it does make you a bad person if you're drinking and laughing right in front of people fighting for a decent wage, and treating their protest like a big joke with your mates.

25. discobastard

No it doesn't make you a bad person. That only works if you are laughing and joking about them, taking the piss out of the workers (that lot miht habve been, might not have been, who knows). It's great that *you* know what people are thinking and what people mean when they do things. It must be a very special talent.

You asked what I would do - read the fucking thread. Iv'e said it many times over that I don't go the the Ritzy.

'I guess your obfuscation reveals the truth'

You really are a plank sometimes.

26. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

breaking a campaign of people desperate enough to put their livelihoods on the line might not make you a bad person but certainly makes you a cunt who doesn't give a shit about the issues concerning workers who make the very community you are partaking in tick.

Gramsci, Sue and editor like this.
  27. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

...whatever they are actually laughing it, they are breaking a strike.
    so fuck them and fuck everybody who's defending them.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They were taking the piss out of the workers simply by sitting there right in front of a large, noisy protest and guzzling pints and laughing away while the staff were fighting for their livelihoods.

It doesn't take any talent at all to understand that this is inappropriate behaviour, yet you're still trying to dream up excuses for them.

At least the old chestnut that 'they might not know the strike was taking place' can't apply. It was literally right in front of their laughing faces.

:facepalm::rolleyes:

Gramsci likes this.
  29. aka

aka Brixton Hill

And yet the Ritzy was open, people were working there. Name and shame those motherfuckers eh? Instead of (as well as) some poor (well maybe rich) twats who showed up at what is effectively an outdoor bit of a bar. Did they look over and go 'wtf is this all about?' - Maybe - We don't know, we don't have a picture of that. On a slightly different tangent, no one taught the protesters to picket correctly. Someone should school them on picketing. Scargill, scargill, anyone, Scargill.

mjd, discobastard and alcopop like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's just beyond :facepalm:

You're blaming the workers rather than shaming the people sat outside laughing and drinking almost in the faces of the protesters? Unbelievable. You sound like Thatcher. I'm not sure I can stand much more of this board's shift to the right.

Gramsci likes this.