1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton Ritzy staff in pay dispute for London Living Wage with Picturehouse Cinemas

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 12, 2014.

1. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

During the last round of strikes I cancelled my membership and they refunded me for the remaining proportion of time.

2. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

Did you mention the strike when you asked for a refund?

3. shakespearegirl

Yep. I explained that was why I was cancelling my membership. I called and discussed with them and then had to send an email explaining why I was cancelling.

DaveCinzano and Winot like this.
  4. DaveCinzano

DaveCinzano WATCH OUT, GEORGE, HE'S GOT A SCREWDRIVER!

So looks like sparkybird could have another go :thumbs:

5. shakespearegirl

Yep, that was in 2014. I just dug out the email and my language was pretty strong.. Disgraceful, bullying, union busting...

Gramsci and DaveCinzano like this.
  6. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Thanks for that. I did mention the strike, but of course the person on the end of the phone has no power to authorize that. I'll definitely be pursuing this then based on your outcome shakespearegirl

editor likes this.
  7. shakespearegirl

If they can't authorise it, ask who can and demand to speak to them...

8. sparkybird

Had a response from Picture Houses. They say they can't give me a refund as I've used all my free tickets.... good excuse. I've stopped my standing order though.

Have a look at the GREAT list of benefits you can get if you work for them - all adding up to a big fat nothing in your wallet.

Thank you for contacting the Picturehouse Cinemas Ltd. Picturehouse have released the following statement regarding the industrial disputes:

"We are proud of our employees and the good relationship we have with them at all Picturehouse cinemas around the country.

For many years Picturehouse Cinemas has paid its front-of-house customer service staff well above minimum wage. Our pay rates are amongst the highest in the industry and have enabled us to attract and retain staff who are knowledgeable about film, skilled in many areas and able to offer high levels of service.

Staff at the Hackney, Crouch End and Central Picturehouses in London are represented by The Forum, a recognised union, with collective bargaining rights for all Picturehouse cinemas excluding the Ritzy Picturehouse in Brixton, South London. We negotiate pay rates each year and a new pay rate for 2016-2017 of £9.05 per hour - plus individual and cinema-wide shared bonus schemes - has just been agreed by a 72% majority vote. We are therefore disappointed by the decision of a minority of staff who have chosen to strike.

In addition, all our employees receive the following:

Paid breaks: breaks are 20 minutes for every 6 hours worked. At Picturehouse we try to give 5 minutes for every hour up to 30 minutes in an 8 hour shift, making the pay rate the equivalent of £9.61 per hour.

Unlimited free cinema tickets at Picturehouse: provided there are seats available at the last minute.

Free soft drinks and popcorn: when visiting the cinema to watch a film.

Two guest tickets a week: once a week staff can bring two guests to any film or event for free, subject to availability.

Unlimited free tickets at Cineworld (our parent company): subject to availability.

Free hot and cold drinks: when staff are working they can have as much tea, coffee, hot chocolate or draught soft drinks as they like.

Food & drink discounts: staff get 30% discount at Picturehouses at all times.

Free eye tests: for those using computers or tills.

Statutory sick pay and four weeks paid holiday.

Staff at the Ritzy, represented by BECTU, are on a flat rate of £9.10 per hour from 2nd September 2016. This rate was agreed by majority vote in a ballot held following considerable negotiation in July 2014."

Having checked our membership account, it would appear that you have used all your free tickets against your membership which accounts for the sum you paid for your term. Therefore, we are unable to process any form of refund on your membership.

However, it is worth pointing out that you do have a Direct Debit against your membership. Therefore, should you no longer wish to renew automatically as a member of the Picturehouse, I would suggest contacting your bank in order to cancel any future payments relating to this agreement.

I hope this information has been helpful in clarifying the pay and benefits to Picturehouse staff.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kindest regards,

Matthew
    Customer Service Team
    Picturehouse Cinemas Ltd.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good piece here :

Now showing at the Ritzy: low pay and exploitation | Owen Jones

Gramsci likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Clever:

Gramsci and Casaubon like this.
  11. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

DietCokeGirl likes this.
  12. sparkybird

13. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

As I have Polish friends and a partner from another EU country I feel the referendum ended up as poisonous debate about immigration.

That's not to say the EU is all good. The single market is neo liberal. Providing business with access to cheaper labour force. Why Chukas amendment to stay in single market is not progressive. ( I heard Chukas on radio. He wants to stay in single market. But he was all for deporting EU people who were unemployed for three months. Not exactly liberal minded.)

The EU and the way it's set up and operates is partly to blame for this not just employers.

Poles I know who came here when borders were opened did so as they felt this country was more liberal minded that there's. This country had a good reputation for younger Poles. Poland was and is now run by Catholic Nationalists. More socially conservative than our Tories. More like the DUP. They feel now let down. This was a country they liked. They can't understand what's happened.

For Poles this country had a long history of connection with Poland. They knew this. A lot of people in this country are ignorant of it. From famous Poles like Conrad to the many Poles who fought in the British army and air force against the Nazis in WW2. We have let them down more than once.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    editor and brixtonblade like this.
  14. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I heard there is going to be a community picket this evening of the Ritzy.

Between 5.30 and 7.30

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Got any more info on this? IS there a FB page? I want to do a Buzz feature to spread the word.