Brixton Reclaim The Streets - 20 years ago! 6th June 1998

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 6, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Casaubon, Gramsci and Ralph Llama like this.
  2. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

snowy_again likes this.
  3. Maggot

Maggot The Cake of Liberty

snowy_again, Gramsci and Ralph Llama like this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes, it's excellent - I added the link to that article at the bottom of my RTS piece.

5. Puddy_Tat

Puddy_Tat lumpen proletaricat

:p

6. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Great day that.

Thousands in the streets. Techno sound systems outside the town hall. Kids sandpit in the street outside Morleys / Speedy Noodle. Bloke scaling the lampposts to put bin bags over the CCTV cameras. Bewildered coppers not knowing what to do. Never forget it!

20 years ago! FFS.....

Familiar face at 27:59?

I've got a load of photos from that day (actual, real photos, which will need scanning) I should post up here.

To be fair, the need to reclaim the streets is as burning today as it ever was...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Proud to be part of the footage! The RTS parties were amazing. I doubt if I'll ever go to a protest to top the M41 bash.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  8. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Ah, I'm feeling all nostalgic. Loads of old faces in those vids. Midland Bank on the High Street, 'Brixton Oval' outside the Ritzy, complete with taxi rank before it was pedestrianised. Pizza Hut where KFC is now. :)

Thimble Queen likes this.
  9. Great event, a few pictures I took.
    Scan709.jpg Scan715.jpg Scan701.jpg

Attached Files:

CH1, Gramsci, brixtonblade and 4 others like this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Great pics! And what a day that was :)

11. Scan704.jpg Scan725.jpg Scan758.jpg
    a few more

Attached Files:

CH1, Gramsci, brixtonblade and 2 others like this.
  12. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

Superb video from Headjam, i don't really remember this at all. There was alot going on, familiar faces, love the guys playing chess.

I also remember the locals complaining about the BO of the ravers !

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Gramsci likes this.
  13. Mumbles274

Mumbles274 running from law and the press and the parents

I went to one that started at Euston.. Few train rides later and we got there. It was epic. Which one was it?

14. han

han brixton hill hobbit

Ah I remember that day fondly. Climbed up a traffic light by the Ritzy with my friend Rich,as the soundsystem blocked the road. What a great day.

Thimble Queen, Gramsci and editor like this.
  15. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

Ten months after this 'party', David Copeland also tried to 'reclaim the streets' in his own way by leaving a nail bomb in the middle of Brixton market, timed to go off when many the people using it (and who had used it for forty years or more) would be gathered in large numbers.

The only regularly recorded and acknowledged victims of that act of terrorism are people who were murdered in a simliar nail bomb attack five miles away and two weeks later.

Walking around Brixton now, one wonders excatly what was reclaimed in Brixton and by whom.

16. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Even the memorial plaque is rather overshadowed by Will Self's street art.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's history for you. But that doesn't belittle what Reclaim The Streets meant at the time.

Gramsci likes this.