Brixton Pound launching Thursday 17th September!

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by jryancol, Sep 13, 2009.

1. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Seems to be a lot more people using them of late. Had to change a few hundred back into sterling after having failed to eat my way through the wad at Negril.

2. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

I think the shopkeepers are more used to it now too. You used to have ask whether people took them or not, but now people in shops accept them without a second glance.

3. Fuchs66

Fuchs66 Ring a ding

I heaqrd about this a while back and although I find it an interesting scheme one thought (especially as "but now people in shops accept them without a second glance." keeps coming into my head

How easy are they to forge compared with sterling?

You end up with 1 scrote forging tons of the stuff and the system is fucked and youre back to square 1 with the additional headache of sorting the genuine articles from the forgeries when people flock in to exchange back.

4. brix

brix spinster of this parish

I can't answer your question definitely but the Brixton Pound website says:

http://brixtonpound.org/why/

5. Fuchs66

Fuchs66 Ring a ding

I hope its true because in itself I like the sound of it I'd just hate to see it wrecked because of some bastard getting greedy and not enough safety features to make it difficult

6. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

apparently there's 21 security features on the notes - the same as stirling. So they're pretty secure. I've been using them for a few months now and I'm quite used to them - the design, the feel, the thickness of the notes. I reckon I'd spot a fake if someone tried to give one to me. And I fully expect the people working in shops who take them are well used to them too.

7. Mrs Magpie

Mrs Magpie On a bit of break...

My only gripe is they haven't considered visual impairment. All the notes are exactly the same size and therefore Blind Lemon won't use them as one Brixton pound appears to him identical to the twenty Brixton Pound note.

8. ajdown

ajdown Posting in this thread

That's the case with a lot of currency though - US dollars are all more or less identical apart from the number on them. Sterling notes are one of the exceptions with the colour and size difference.

It's probably only a matter of time, pushed by vending machine manufacturers as it has been in the US, before Sterling ends up similar - if, of course, we haven't succumbed to the euro by then.

9. Greebo

Greebo 'scuse me, Mrs May, can I have my country back? R.I.P.

Euros are different sizes and colours according to value for the same reason as Sterling notes. So if anything, size differentiation is set to become the norm, not the exception.

10. editor

editor hiraethified