Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Summer - Autumn 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

As I said in my previous post, the problems in Barcelona are being caused by the change of use of extremely high numbers of flats from residential/ long term rent for residents to short break accommodation for tourists, not by the mere presence of tourists, which had been taking place for many decades without any problems caused to the locals, right until the advent of rBnB. And Venice is the only other significant exception, chiefly due to it actually being fairly small and unable to cope with the 5000-capacity cruise ships landing daily, which again is a relatively recent phenomenon. And even in these two scenarios the tourists themselves are only partially to blame, if at all.

For the overwhelming majority of major cities around Europe, short term tourism is not a significant problem for the locals whatsoever. In fact, the opposite of it. So no, I don't see any evidence of tourists being a bad thing for Brixton or London residents.

2. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Amsterdam cracked down on Air BnB about 2 years ago by restricting the nights you can rent for to 60 backed up with inspectors. There is a fine of €6k for a first offence.

They’ve shown issues caused by air bnb is easy to fix if the city wants to. Blaming tourists is easy obvious target. It’s the wrong target though.

3. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

London has a 90 day limit - three months. Airbnb enforce it themselves although they can only count days booked through Airbnb.

This applies to whole home lets - not rooms.

4. Mr Retro

I didn’t know that 90 day rule in London.

They are about to bring in something similar in Ireland but they’ve fucking arsed about with it for years so I don’t know the actual situation right now. Again only whole home lets.

5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Just saw Sajid Javid outside Pop Brixton about 11.15 am.

Quite a lot of police around, but hardly maximum security.
    I could have gone up to him and done a Jon Snow (Home secretary are you going to resign?) no probs.

When I came back from the Halifax there were a couple of official poppy-wearing types outside Pop. Maybe Sajid Javid was inside - though if he'd come there to discuss knife crime it would seem to be a bad choice of venue.

Gramsci and BusLanes like this.
  6. editor

editor hiraethified

Good job that no one actually suggested that, then.

Gramsci likes this.
  7. editor

editor hiraethified

The violence continues:

8. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

So I wasn't going mad. Well not more than usual anyway.

These Press Association pictures capture the event, and the following article (in the Belfast Telgraph) seems to be the only news report so far:
    Javid urges ‘more leadership all round’ to stop children being drawn into crime - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
    bpanews_d946b63d-cdc6-4e5e-978e-26ac437f2e70_1.jpeg
    bpanews_d946b63d-cdc6-4e5e-978e-26ac437f2e70_embedded239618137.jpeg

Gramsci and BusLanes like this.
  9. editor

editor hiraethified

Gramsci likes this.
  10. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

According to the Belfast Telegraph they were meeting a group called "Divert" working with youth. Maybe they thought Pop Brixton a more "neutral" venue than Brixton Police Station?

Just my suggestion. There is a website for Divert. Not sure it will reassure you though. Milestone Foundation - Divert

friendofdorothy likes this.
  11. editor

editor hiraethified

The Village is teeming with DJs! Not very busy though and I can't say it's my idea of a night out.

Not sure if the millionaire socialite was in residence to oversee his empire tonight. Anyone met him?

12. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

The catalytic converter has been stolen from our car. There’s a gang targeting Brixton/Dulwich/Norwood area apparently. They chop it out from the exhaust and sell it for recovery of the platinum & rhodium it contains. Guy with the pickup truck said he’d picked up a dozen vehicles in this area in the last fortnight.

Should be covered on insurance but a bit of a pain. There’s not much you can do to stop it.

13. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

That is very annoying.

Do all cars have them?

14. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Not sure. I know fuck all about cars :oops:

editor likes this.
  15. alcopop

alcopop Banned Banned

if they use leaded petrol then they won’t have them.

brixtonblade likes this.
  16. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

didn't think you could still get leaded petrol

17. alcopop

alcopop Banned Banned

Don’t drive so no idea.

I’m sure that Leaded petrol poisons the catalyst though.

18. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I thought this was to visit group dealing with helping young people turn away from knives and gang culture. The example on front page of website is someone who committed petty offence as they could not afford their rent.

Then "helped" to work on building site which they weren't keen on.

As if having a job will solve everything.

Pickman's model likes this.
  19. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Dick had glowing interview in ES recently. Not a mention of her role in killing of an innocent Brazilian. I object to her coming to multicultural area like Brixton.

Pickman's model likes this.
  20. editor

editor hiraethified

21. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Wasn't she in charge here in Lambeth a few years ago? When we had a Community/Police Consultative Group I mean.

22. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

I object to her full stop

Gramsci likes this.
  23. editor

editor hiraethified

24. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Hi editor, is this thread going on forever, I thought you said it was going to be quarterly?

25. editor

editor hiraethified

I went for a summer-into autumn number, but I could make a new mid-autumn - winter one if that's what people want?

26. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Active Member

Not since the Millennium, so almost 20 years.

27. hungry_squirrel

hungry_squirrel Active Member

I know this is from a few days back, but come on - what a pompous bloody comment...

editor and Gramsci like this.
  28. Mr Retro

Pompous how? :confused:

29. alcopop

alcopop Banned Banned

Maybe reserve the lift for “community connectors “? Give them a glass of wine and a massage?

30. editor

editor hiraethified

You don't even live here, and you only come into this forum to sneer and try to make personal digs. It's all a bit pathetic really.

And on that note, I'll make the new thread for mid-autumn to winter.

Here: Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Autumn - Winter 2018

Gramsci likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.