Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Summer - Autumn 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Come on - imagine liberating that thing from the right wing millionaire's clutches and whizzing around the Moorlands Estate banging out ska, dancehall and reggae. MUCH more fun.

blameless77 likes this.
  2. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

The power lead wouldn't be long enough....you'd go silent 3 metres out the door...

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Hook up a generator and off you go!

4. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

ha ha...yeah, fuck peddling a generator around on the back of a fucking weird hawaiian themed DJ booth with a corrugated iron roof....ha ha

blameless77 likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It would be pretty special if you had some drugs before you started off :D

6. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Nothing I ever did on drugs was ever pretty special...which is why I don't take them anymore (aside from the odd puff here and there)

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Taking a weird Hawaiian themed DJ booth for a ride on mushrooms would definitely be my idea of fun :D

8. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Well, you've missed your chance, cos you said no....

I know for a fact I am parking it somewhere warm when I DJ there...

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They didn't tell me I'd be able to take it for a joyride. I really didn't fancy playing the Village crowd but be sure to post up when you're playing and I'll pop down if I'm around.

10. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I shall....no idea what it'll be like...I'm doing a 2 hour slot on a sunday afternoon in December, so let's see...

11. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

noooooo! That's the bus I take on the (very rare) occasion I go up to Oxford Street.

12. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

(very rare) is probably why they are ditching it...

Tricky Skills likes this.
  13. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

the No 3 has been stopping at Trafalgar Square for a long time, the 159 goes to Oxford Street and beyond (don't ever go further north there be dragons)

gaijingirl likes this.
  14. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

He has a clothing line which could be why they were wearing similar clothes

Can't see the disrespect personally, this was quite acceptable behaviour in the olden days in a number of venues I frequented.....

15. gaijingirl

... or it might be to break up longer journeys into 2 shorter ones and create more revenue (as they did a number of years ago).

Tricky Skills likes this.
  16. gaijingirl

arse... had planned to maybe use it tomorrow. 159 it is then.

17. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I know he has a clothing line.

I still don't see what is cool about two geezers stood arms crossed infront of DJ booth wearing identical gear (which was blue jeans, alpha industry bomber jackets, and Docs)

18. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

.....but I am not cool or an icon, or anything...so perhaps I just don't understand it, cos I aint exclusive enough....or something....

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

To me that's spoiling the vibe for the other DJ completely. If they were dancing that would be a different manner, but what they were doing sounds rather intimidating to both the DJ and anyone wanting to come up and talk to them.

20. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

That is what it looked and felt like (and it was a female DJ)

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That makes it even worse.

22. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

23. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Seriously.....Sharpeye as the Harvey Weinstein of the club scene you are having a fucking bubble
    .....but good work on a character assassination based on absolutely fuck all....:thumbs:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  24. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Your conversation has reminded me of my new favourite DJ, from a visual/ good vibes point of view at least. We were recently looking for some light & uplifting house tunes to play in the background while cleaning & tidying up the flat, and we came across this DJ and ended up watching him play for a good 15 minutes. Clearly enjoying the occasion, and moving to his own tunes in a rather hypnotic way :D

25. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

This is the reason I supported changing Carlton Mansions into work units. If Brixton us to be entertainment zone then people should be rehoused somewhere else. Mixing different uses maybe fashionable urban design but it doesn't work in practice.

In the later years the market became a problem. When I first was there the Granville Arcade was a market not a foodie entertainment place.

Cyndi turned up when it was being "regenerated" again. First time was Brixton Challenge when it was renamed Brixton Village.

Granville Arcade was open Monday to Saturday with half day Wednesday. Usually closed at six. Closed all day Sunday.

So easy to live near by.

In later years I started to object to shops in arcade getting drinks licences as the change to entertainment was starting to cause problems.

I could see the way it was going. Its why I have every sympathy with Sleepless in Brixton. Some of us lived in Brixton when it wasn't fashionable or hip.

When it became fashionable long term residents were supposed to put up with extra noise and disturbance. No one asked them.

I remember several years ago trying to explain this to Cyndi. Like the fact then that some people had lived in the flats above the arcade for years. She didn't get it.

If Cyndi makes money out of playing music for the new demographic good on her but what concerns me is that traditionally Brixton wasn't just an eaterie and entertainment experience it was a mixture of residents/ retail/ entertainment.

peterkro, brixtonblade and editor like this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's quite a remarkable interpretation of what's been said there. But, really, do you think it's OK for two burly blokes to stand right in front of a female DJ when she's playing, and if so, why?

If they did it to me, I'd tell them to shift their arses.

27. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

It shouldn’t cost more due to the newish “Hoppa” fare thingy. But it’s annoying because I used to be able to get the 3 all the way to work if the Tube was closed.

gaijingirl likes this.
  28. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

They weren't wearing bathrobes

29. The Fornicator

The Fornicator Well-Known Member

The congestion on that last stretch into Traf Sq has caught me out so often I'm almost relived the No 3 is stopping a couple of hundred yards sooner; miss the stop and you can be stuck for ages, won't let you off. New last stop is by Whitehall Place, I think.

This revamp of bus routes is a consequence of the two rides in an hour thing that Sadiq brought in. On stretches of some routes there are like 60 buses an hour as diff bus routes converge, esp. nearer central London. The idea is to reduce costs, pollution and congestion. That's the plan anyway ..

gaijingirl and organicpanda like this.
  30. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

A nice greeting this morning from my Ebony horse club neighbour.

20181105_100536.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.