Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Summer - Autumn 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Used to be one of the go to barbers for a proper flat top...

R.I.P Andy

[​IMG]

Casaubon and Pickman's model like this.
  2. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

seems a bit harsh...but then i could imagine back then if a boozer in central Brixton got the reputation for being too tolerant on drug taking things could of gone down hill quite rapidly.

Gramsci likes this.
  3. Casaubon

Casaubon Well-Known Member

As I’ve mentioned here before, Pat once barred her son Chris for being in possession of a spliff.
    She was, necessarily, a tough woman (a dragon, at times), but there are plenty of people who'll testify to her heart of gold.

Here’s Chris (4th from left) at the Kent Custom Show in the summer of ’89, with some Albert regulars.

Kent Custom Show.jpg

Does anyone know where Chris is these days?

Gramsci and editor like this.
  4. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Sad to hear of Andy - used to get flat tops there in the early 80s when up visiting my sister who lived above the launderette on the corner of Vining St / Atlantic road.
    Unlike other barbers he would refuse to use those spirit level/ large comb things and would insist of doing it by eye.
    Can't say I've used haircut sir? for 20+ years - but I'm glad to see it still there when going past on the bus

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  5. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

His Son and Daughter cut hair there now.

Andy was known as the king of the flat tops. I'm sure Face Magazine did an article on him back in the 80s....

A Brixton Buzz piece waiting to be written there...

6. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

I was very mostly a Railway type and one night I went into the Albert and Pat instructed one of the bar staff to follow me in to the toilets. I had known the guy before he started at the Albert so asked him what he was doing and he said Pat suspected me of doing drugs. Like why would I have left Brady's to do drugs???

Whenever I went in the Albert during the day sometimes she really was quite different - asking if I'd been back to Ireland and stuff like that. She was great!

Gramsci, friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've never used a barber since I arrived in Brixton so didn't know him, but if anyone wants to write a piece, I'd be happy to publish it!

8. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I'd quite like to just see that Face Article in full...I know there are bits of it framed in the Barber shop

9. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Now it seems to say
    'AY IN PEACE

whats it short for - away? say? stay? Is that even a saying?

10. friendofdorothy

Saw Pat literally sweeping prostitutes off the front of the Albert with a broom one morning.

She single handedly threw a a big geezer out one quiet lunch time when I was there - her 5 foot nothing and him 6ft 6 - she got hold of him by the collar and marched him from the back of the pub, to out the front door. He apologised to her all the way out. It was a joy to see.

Eggby, Casaubon, blameless77 and 3 others like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's going to say COME IN LOVE (fnarr fnarr) on one side and STAY IN PEACE on the other in bright colours. It's nearly ready to serve as a new 'Brixton icon' for Instagraming and featuring in in-flight magazines, property developers brochures etc.

1.jpg

Tricky Skills and Gramsci like this.
  12. friendofdorothy

I like the colours.

Being northern I think that should be - Come in, love

Smick, alcopop, trabuquera and 6 others like this.
  13. friendofdorothy

I think I only went to Bradys a couple of times, maybe to see a band, it was a very rough place. Back then very few straight pubs were safe places for lesbians.

I seem to recall it had sawdust on the floor - or is that my memory playing tricks?

Gramsci likes this.
  14. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I'm sure painting in a comma would neither require being talented at painting/graffittng nor not much time to execute it. Just saying, like ;)

PS But it would require trespassing on a railway line, or alternatively borrowing a cherrypicker.

15. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I met my Son's mum in Bradys...watching The Sexed Up Lambeth Boys....

I have mixed feelings about this....ha ha

16. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

It could well have been the residue from tables and chairs :D very rough place at one time!

17. Jangleballix

Jangleballix Better living through chemistry.

One time 82-83 I walked past the side and two blokes were tussling over an AK47 in the street.
    I blithely presumed it was a replica and walked on regardless.
    Say what you like about gentrification this is unlikely to happen outside Wahaca.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Now it's just city boys, entrepreneurs and gammons in pink shirts shouting and puking up in the street after too many pulled pork burgers and cocktails.

sealion likes this.
  19. sealion

:D

20. sealion

If Brixton is now seen and sold as edgy, i wonder what the lifestyle mags/ estate agents would have made of it 20 years ago.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  21. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

Strangers talk to each other. Doesn't happen anywhere else in south east england.

22. discobastard

discobastard Well-Known Member

I fear that is a *slight* exaggeration.

ETA: Except in the context of people asking you for money.

sealion, Angellic and Waladli like this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They didn't gush about it then because they were too shit-scared to come down. Which was great for us locals.

sealion likes this.
  24. friendofdorothy

See they've added the ST now.

25. David Clapson

The only visitors we had were journalists wanting a crime story. There was one article which described Coldharbour Lane and Somerleyton Rd as a terrifying no-go area, drugs den etc. There was a hole in the window of Granada Cars and the article said it was a bullet hole. Total bollocks. Just a flat lie. That article taught me a lot about journalism.

26. David Clapson

In my experience it's very accurate! It's why I moved here from Fulham. If you doubt it, maybe that's because you don't talk to many strangers?

Gramsci and ash like this.
  27. discobastard

discobastard Well-Known Member

I talk to plenty! But not just in Brixton, that was my point.

28. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Been reading the Resolve Collective who designed the new artwork on the Brixton bridge.

https://www.resolvecollective.com/brixton-bridge/5lbu77qnkh4cn7m30bztayvstsso54

Its all well meaning. And Resolve Collective sound interesting practice. Putting together architectural practise/Urban design with meaningful interventions in public space.

I cant help but feel this one whilst incorporating Brixton history and heritage does not represent the fact that change is altering Brixton entirely.

The Afro Carribbean community who made there homes here from Windrush are being pushed out. For example.

If the bridge design is about community and neighbourness in London these are relatively short lived as economic changes push one community out for another.

This the bridge doesnt represent.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  29. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

https://www.resolvecollective.com/brixton-bridge/z3ivmf2njlfoyfmpkrjl3a5g0uuazd

Something Resolve Collective could have done with the Brixton bridge is celebrate how the community of the time fought racist police. The 81 riot. Or Uprising as some call it.

I was there at the time. There was general feeling amongst Afro Carribbean people that the Met got a well deserved kicking.

This of course would never get anywhere with a Council sanctioned competition.

I bring this up as imo sense of community isn't about just touchy feely "Peace". The phrases that Resolve Collective use. Sense of community is also built on violence and conflict. I'm saying this as someone who entered adult life with election of Margaret Thatcher and the eighties.

30. mx wcfc

mx wcfc Well-Known Member

I have issues 1-99 of The Face. If you could give me an approx date, I could have a look and scan it. Might take a while to go through all of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.