Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Summer - Autumn 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Paul's Unofficial Letterbox Pages

CH1 and ricbake like this.
  2. technical

technical stripey

Windrush Square looking good in the sunshine this morning

3. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

The go-to guys are the Letter Box Study Group: http://lbsg.org
    A few years ago, they were very helpful in explaining how to ask for maintenance of the Penfold letter box on Mervan Road.

CH1 and bimble like this.
  4. bimble

bimble noisy but small

Love a bit of post-colonial letterbox studies. Here's a handsome specimen spotted in Dhaka (bangladesh). IMG_5691.jpg

Mr Retro, CH1 and trabuquera like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

But there’s already a Herne Hill thread.

8. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Are they not SE24?

Smick and friendofdorothy like this.
  9. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

It’s more a state of mind.

Rushy likes this.
  10. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Thanks for offer. But I'd rather leave this new thread as it is.

Ive found Brixton forum rather dispiriting recently.

brixtonblade and editor like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You're not the only one but I hope you can carry on posting as usual and remember that some of the opinions here really, really don't represent the Brixton we know.

Gramsci likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Anybody know the story behind this planning application at the Effra Social?
    18/01851/FUL | Change of use of upper floors from ancillary staff accommodation in connection with restaurant/ public house (Class A3/A4) to three self-contained units (2 x 2-bed. 1 x 3-bed), involving erection of rear extension at first and second floor level, and installation of dormer window to front elevation. | 89 Effra Road London SW2 1DF

A friend from Morval Road got a consultation letter on Friday 22nd June - with a consultation deadline of Friday 29th June.

The application is to convert ancillary staff accommodation above the pub (claimed as disused) into two 2 bed and one 1 bed flats self-contained flats.

Nothing said at all about the pub use below - but the applicant Flutterby Ltd is one of many Anthony Thomas (Antic) companies - so they could be simply proposing to sell flats above a thriving pub.

I only mention as we've had issues with the Grosvenor and others in a similar situation.

friendofdorothy and teuchter like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm pretty sure that there is no one living above the pub - they opened it up for a Halloween special once - but if they're putting private flats above the Effra that's surely got to curtail the pub's activities because the first thing selfish, self centred yuppies do when they move next to a pub is complain about it.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've totally killed off Pope's Road in the evenings.

2018-06-25_125957.jpg

Gramsci likes this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

18. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Have your say on an Extension of the Public Spaces Protection Order for Novel Psychoactive Substances | Lambeth Council

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

20. aka

aka Brixton Hill

incident on arodene road just opposite Stir Coffee on the Hill, not sure what happened but there were 6 cop cars minimum and an ambulance. hope whoever is on the floor is ok.

21. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

jimbarkanoodle and Angellic like this.
  23. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Angellic likes this.
  24. Tricky Skills

Tricky Skills I demand tea - NOW!

The original policy was put in place after a Lambeth consultation showed that 0.01% of the population in the borough was affected by anti-social behaviour from legal highs.

discobastard likes this.
  25. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Quite - it’s a ridiculous policy. It’s also legally shaky - there have been court cases where nitrous dioxide has been found not to fall within the proscribed definition because of its use as a medical anaesthetic.

If Lambeth really wanted to focus on the antisocial aspect they’d crack down on the associated littering. Or, more pragmatically, provide recycling bins for the canisters.

CH1, ricbake and Tricky Skills like this.
  26. discobastard

discobastard _______\+/_______

I remember that. The consultation questionnaire was very badly designed and you only had about 100 characters to expand upon your responses.

As somebody who sometimes designs questionnaire it was in no way fit for purpose.

Tricky Skills likes this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

28. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Anybody read the "Fame Academy" feature in last weekend's Standard magazine?
    Identity School of Acting: a London drama school like no other
    sei-16938609.jpg
    I'm only commenting because I noticed the place already - it's at the back of the mini NatWest Bank on the cut-through from Brixton Road to the market.

It's been operating with the doors open this week due to excess heat, and the clientele looked pretty white and male to me (except for a hijab-wearing receptionist), so looks a bit like a normal theatre school in the area might given what Brixton has now become. I think the school principal has managed to get an article written that hypes a theme that may not represent present students.

BTW I notice (from their prospectus) that Identity School of Acting is or was based in Whitechapel. Be interesting to know if they have now moved to Brixton, or just opened a Brixton site in addition by way of expansion.

The Brixton space they are in is the former offices of the World Development Movement (which moved to Kennington Park some years ago then renamed itself "Global Justice Now").

editor likes this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I often see their students in local cafes, practicing lines with each other.

CH1 likes this.
  30. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

*snigger*

theboris and Angellic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.