Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Summer 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by BusLanes, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

editor likes this.
  2. editor

editor hiraethified

Those blanked out windows with glass either side are as ugly as fuck. And what's the big tower lurking in the background?

3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Of course the other issue is that Remainers will do everything to oppose Brexit except have Corbyn as caretaker PM for five weeks.

Given the obnoxious right wingers like Patel who are running the show its pathetic that Swinson won't work with Corbyn.

Pickman's model and BusLanes like this.
  4. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Right but that's because in part Corbyn's offer was a trap to catch Swinson. If she says no, she gets what she got. If she said yes, then the Tories will spend the next few months saying Vote Lib Dem, Get Corbyn (ala 2015) - which will hurt the Lib Dems in Southern England where all those Conservative - Lib Dem seats are.

It was pretty clever really. It also stopped almost everyone talking about they got another defection in Totnes the night before. So I think the Labour comms team will have been pretty happy.

Pickman's model likes this.
  5. mippy

mippy Active Member

£1.1k for a one-bed in South London is cheap now. I'm in Crystal Palace, so not even a victim of the Brixton tax, and that's the going rate where I am. Seems a bit unfair to slag off Caspar.

I noticed the weird perfume/watch shop where Doddle used to be has now been repossessed.

T & P likes this.
  6. ricbake

ricbake working out how

It was a squat shop... decidedly dodgy

7. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

I thought the same.

8. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Well it's not really cheap but certainly a bit of a deal compared to the norm. Seems to be a private rental with the landlord so they're paying anything to a letting agent. Unfortunately there are so many private deals cos agents put the fear into landlords.

9. Gramsci

This is a lot for a small flat. Most people I know couldn't afford that.

This isn't criticism of Casper. Its criticism of landlords.

I know someone in South London who is working and still needs benefits to cover rent.

Plus the local housing cap on benefits for rent means she has to top up a percentage of her rent out of own money. Most rents in her area go above the cap.

Its a reason why people end up going to food banks she told me.

10. mippy

mippy Active Member

Yes, absolutely it is a lot for a small flat. Sadly, though, not in terms of the market these days. I know I couldn't afford to live alone.

twistedAM and Gramsci like this.
  11. DJWrongspeed

DJWrongspeed radio eros

If you want your own space and are prepared to pay a few hundred quid more I don't think that's bad value. It looks quite nice. Obviously compared to a 2 bed flat it's very expensive proportionally and even more so if you wake to crazy rents in London.

12. Gramsci

Thing is this idea of the market and what's good value aren't abstract ideas outside of human control.

The system has been set up to make sure landlords win.

In Berlin as an example of different way of doing things rents are controlled.

13. Gramsci

14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I agree - and note that this sort of measure is why the Tory right are so keen on Brexit. After all they wouldn't want rent controls to catch on here would they?

Gramsci, BusLanes and twistedAM like this.
  15. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Not sure what it's got to do with Brexit really. It's a city of berlin initiative, not an EU one.

16. editor

editor hiraethified

17. editor

editor hiraethified

18. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

BusLanes, Gramsci and editor like this.
  19. editor

editor hiraethified

20. David Clapson

David Clapson Infamous Knob

I'm such a mug. I got chatting to one of the chancers in Windrush Square. We had a very friendly conversation for at least half an hour - lots of shared acquaintances and experiences. But I handed over my watch for inspection and had to pay ten quid to get it back. When I started to get a bad feeling about the guy I took care to stay in busy well lit places, otherwise I'm fairly sure he'd have gone after my wallet etc. After 15 years in Brixton this is the closest I've come to being robbed.

21. jakejb79

jakejb79 Laughing Cow

twistedAM likes this.
  22. editor

editor hiraethified

Sorry to hear this. There's nothing wrong with being trusting and at least you only lost a tenner. Maybe some of those shared acquaintances could, err, put him straight?

23. editor

editor hiraethified

24. Gramsci

I get what you mean.

This isn't an EU measure. Its a German one.

But the whole angle of our new Boris led government is that the EU is backsliding social democratic institution that has been trying to impose its values on poor old plucky Britain.

Boris / Patel and all the other right wingers are going to lead this country to a utopia of the "free market" once UK is unshackled from the "restrictive" practises that unelected EU bereaucrats impose on little England.

25. Gramsci

Swinson is a Tory clothing herself as an Liberal that is why she won't work with Corbyn sensible suggestion.

Pickman's model and happyshopper like this.
  26. Tropi

Tropi Active Member

There seem to have been 3 shooting incidents in or around Morrish Road in the last 2 weeks. I the last one 3 people were shot. Have you heard of anything? I know people in the area and they are very concerned but I can't find this on the Brixton news.

27. editor

editor hiraethified

28. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

29. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Having heard a little about the story behind the closing, my money is on it lying vacant for a few years and the boom... "luxury, executive" flats. But my info could be wrong and I may be too cynical.

Tropi, editor and Pickman's model like this.
  30. SheilaNaGig

SheilaNaGig Struggling and striving

That is so so shit.

Do you know who bought it?