Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Summer 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by BusLanes, Jun 20, 2019.

1. editor

editor hiraethified

2. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

No. It is an assembly area. Effectively a public space which is also a no-go area. And if you do go you might get your brains knocked out.

If Heather Rabbatts was still in charge of Lambeth Council she might have demolished the wall and installed spikes.

Let me see what visual langage would teuchter undertand?
    anti trespess spikes.jpg

Pickman's model likes this.
  3. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Meanwhile, over at battersea, West Brixton
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">&#39;Hostile Environment&#39; in full force at the Battersea Park Power Station site this morning. Immigration phishing raids as a method of oppression. <a href="Sadiq Khan (@SadiqKhan) on Twitter">@SadiqKhan</a> <a href="Anti Raids Network (@AntiRaids) on Twitter">@AntiRaids</a> <a href="Oleg Pasichnyi on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/ABCfo1xJql</a></p>&mdash; Oleg Pasichnyi (@olegumn) <a href="">August 9, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. editor

editor hiraethified

They've now shuffled across to the Barrier Block car park entrance for their late, late night drinking parties, shouting matches and inevitable fights.

CH1 likes this.
  5. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I don't understand - what area are you talking about? The paved area at the front within the domino club's walls?

6. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

The front courtyard was open and in use at the time of the murder. The stall was there selling drinks.

7. Manter

Manter Lunch Mob

They are welcoming! I’ve been in a couple of times because I was doing something with the soup kitchen and everyone was lovely. And a group of them play outside near me on nice days and are perfectly friendly. But it’s not really aimed at me or you, it’s rooted in the established, predominantly black, community that predates both of us in Brixton. That’s fair enough, surely?

8. editor

editor hiraethified

I've lived literally next door to them for over a quarter of a century. This part of Brixton is a mixed community - and always has been - but this is the only place in Brixton in all those years where I've been made to feel unwelcome. Shame, because I quite like it and know some of the people who go there. Oh well.

And I think your experience might be quite different if you tried to get into the club at night.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

But what exactly connects the Domino club to the murder? Was it a customer of the drinks stall? Does operating the drinks stall somehow attract people that are likely to cause trouble and if so, why?

10. editor

editor hiraethified

11. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Shit Friday getting home for 1000s

12. editor

editor hiraethified

Anyone lost their power? I'm OK but am hearing reports.

13. Shippou-Sensei

Shippou-Sensei 4:1:2.5

Thank fuck no.

14. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

Popped my head into the Albert and fuck me it's changed

15. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

Got down to Brixton relatively unscathed, seems OK now

16. Gramsci

I never said it was conneccted

17. Gramsci

Had a read of the Brixton Blog piece quoted by GarveyLives

Which is letting the manager of the the Domino club put their point of view.
    At the start the manager says the club was closed when the murder took place. Then at end says if people are loitering when the club is closed its not the clubs fault.

From my experience as a local resident the courtyard of the club hasn't been locked until after the murder.

The building imo was not closed when the murder took place. The courtyard had been regularly open with a stall set up in courtyard with people hanging around drinking and chatting.

Didn't bother me and I'm not saying Domino club had a link to the murder.

But to say it was closed and if people "loiter" there its not the clubs fault is incorrect.

Since the murder the club has locked the gates and stopped the drinks stall.

So this could have been done before the murder.

Either the drinking and hanging about in the courtyard was with permission of the management. Even if tacit or the management were not able to control what happens to the premises.

In either case this is concerning.

I read all the licensing review. Unless the police are making it all up - and it list times when they were called about incidents- the problem is how the place is managed.

I don't like the comments from the management of the club that residents are out of order for any criticism they might make.

Im sure the Soup Kitchen and the legal help are beneficial.

But the management don't seem to think any criticism is valid. That's not listening to the community. Its not knee jerk.

IMO after reading the licensing review and Blog piece the Domino Club management teeters on losing control of the place at times.

Which is unfortunate as its a necessary community resource.

Domino Club criticises knee-jerk blame for local police incidents

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  18. TopCat

TopCat It's hard now...do it faster

Nobby getting his new electric cycle. Two weeks to crowdfund 3 grand. Lots of emotion here. 20190811_141759.jpg 20190811_142113.jpg 20190811_142102.jpg 20190811_141815.jpg

19. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

so the big poundland store in brixton has closed? the one opposite the furniture store.

20. editor

editor hiraethified

21. donkyboy

donkyboy Crazy cat man

22. editor

editor hiraethified

TopCat likes this.
  23. Gramsci

24. editor

editor hiraethified

25. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter Home is south London mate

Thanks for posting that, a great bit of history, and some stuff I've not read before. I can still remember the eviction (I lived a few doors along), sad times and a complete overreaction by Lambeth/the police. I think the building is flats and a recording studio now.

Gramsci likes this.
  26. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Is Stuart the watchman still in the market or failing that anyone know where I can buy a watch strap loop band holder for a kid's watch?

27. Gramsci

He has stopped doing his stall.

28. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

:(:(

29. Gramsci

I still see him around Brixton.

gaijingirl likes this.
  30. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Does anyone know if the 2x bus will be running to the Carnival this year?