Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Summer 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by BusLanes, Jun 20, 2019.

1. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

No its the one that used to be a 99p shop near the now closed JobCentre Plus.

2. editor

editor hiraethified

3. TopCat

TopCat It's hard now...do it faster

Used to be a jewellers until 81.

CH1 likes this.
  4. editor

editor hiraethified

And it was the MK One clothes store before becoming the 99p store. MK One was owned by that cash-scooping, asset stripping shitehawke Philip Green.
    MK One - Wikipedia

5. editor

editor hiraethified

Now they're REALLY taking the piss with this "Community-owned business" spin. Wankers.

Screenshot 2019-07-29 at 18.19.55.png

Even their own shitty website can only manage to claim that they're 'part owned' by this 'community.'
    Brewdog

Gramsci likes this.
  6. editor

editor hiraethified

7. TopCat

I'm taking that board. Obstruction of the highway. Terrible for the visually impaired.

8. Politico79

Politico79 New Member

Yep that’s infuriating!

Gramsci likes this.
  9. editor

editor hiraethified

Please post up a video of it on fire. :)

purenarcotic, TopCat and Politico79 like this.
  10. editor

editor hiraethified

11. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

12. editor

editor hiraethified

There's no mention of any in their proposals. Maybe there's different rules for HMOs?

13. Monkeygrinder's Organ

Monkeygrinder's Organ Dodgy geezer swilling vapid lager

It looks to be more like a glorified hall of residence rather than blocks of flats - I guess it's counted as one unit rather than 41 separate ones which would (in theory at least) require them to build affordable housing.

14. editor

editor hiraethified

"making impact investments whilst delivering superior returns"

Ugh.

ShiftyBagLady and TopCat like this.
  15. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Was there any indication what size the private living accommodation was?

16. editor

editor hiraethified

As Radiohead might put it, those young professionals will be Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box. Each room has a microscopic bathroom and that's it.

2019-07-30_135406.jpg

It seems to be a similar kind of 'ram 'em in' policy as practised by those delightful capitalists who run Pop Brixton, The Collective.

http://www.141-149railtonroad.info/141-149 Railton Road Exhibition Panels.pdf

17. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Here's the bit of Lambeth policy which relates to this type of development
    Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 14.13.12.jpg

The policy on affordable housing (H2) mentions requirements for developments of below and over 10 units but I can't see anything anywhere that defines how this is applied to HMOs.

Here's what the current London plan says:

Policy 3.13 Affordable housing thresholds

If you look at the (draft) New London Plan specific mention is made of this kind of development, and an affordable housing provision is set out, but this is applying to development of more than 50 "units" and the one in Railton Rd has 41.

Policy H18 Large-scale purpose-built shared living

18. editor

editor hiraethified

Going back to the "community owned business" Brewdog. According to Wikipedia, the company is 46% owned by the two founders and 22% owned by the Private equity firm, TSG Consumer Partners. So someone appears to be telling big fat lies.

BrewDog - Wikipedia

19. thebackrow

thebackrow Active Member

HMO - i wonder if it counts as a single property? Picture of the previous/existing permission on their website - https://www.gcdgroup.co.uk/blank Five large houses.

(sorry - someone had already made that comment).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  20. editor

editor hiraethified

They probably realised they could make a shitload more money by turning it into 41 rabbit hutches for the well off young professionals who need their own in-house gym.

21. mippy

mippy Active Member

Not sure if this quoted right...in reference to shop staff having it tough...but there's a quite aggressive Big Issue seller outside the Sainsbury's Local opposite Brixton Palza. Asked me if I had £5 or £10 for him, and when I said I didn't accused me of lying. I saw him from the bus more or less following people from the entrance. But if he's a BI seller, what can the staff do?

22. mippy

mippy Active Member

Aaah, The Collective have big ads at my local tube station. The answer to housing being unaffordable for even young professionals is not 'advertise tiny bedsits with John Lewis furniture as though being an adult living out of one room is desireable'.

23. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

There was a skinhead guy on Streatham High Street aggressively demanding £2 from passers by on Saturday. He didnt get very far with me but i thought he had a right cheek. Whatever happened to asking for 10, or maximum 50p?

24. editor

editor hiraethified

25. TopCat

It was gone when I came from the Albert suitably fuelled. I will keep an eye out.

Pickman's model likes this.
  26. Pickman's model

Pickman's model every man and every woman is a star

inflation :(

27. TopCat

28. editor

editor hiraethified

You can alter that and put it to zero.

29. TopCat

I tried and it flashed up minimum donation of five quid? I want it all to go to Nobby!

30. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I just did it. In the drop down re donation to the site, where it says Other, click that and then set it to 0.

TopCat and editor like this.