Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Summer 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by BusLanes, Jun 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. editor

editor hiraethified

It's my fault? Now that is fucking priceless. Nothing to do with poor housing, poverty, class, racism, limited opportunities and all the other forms of social deprivation, then?

I challenge you to find multiple quotes from me to back up your bizarre accusation that I, "constantly vilify them."

Look forward your answer.

Meanwhile, in the real world:
    Brixton Buzz donates over £1,500 to the local community, with money raised from our David Bowie celebration night

Gramsci likes this.
  2. editor

editor hiraethified

Oh, OK. You must know better than me, then. I was only there. Right behind them. :facepalm:

3. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

I think you should change your user name to Vilifier

Gramsci likes this.
  4. editor

editor hiraethified

DJ Vilifier in the house, ready to damn your poverty-stricken kids!

5. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

What do we need? Gentlefication. When do we need it? etc.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  6. Nanker Phelge

I was thinking more leading the kids in the charge against the suited invaders

7. editor

editor hiraethified

Maybe I was wrong all along. Maybe it's time for The Well Off Suited Men Protection League.
    Rock Against Scruffs.
    The Anti-Jeans League.

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  8. 3Zeros

3Zeros Active Member

I thought I recognised the username. Back in Sept 2018 mjd joined and posted that they "find the perpetual outrage at the gentrification of Brixton tiring." and followed it with what they saw as an 'historical' justification of gentrification (lol)

My response:

"Oh great, another new member to file under "probably a Tory; definitely a dick".

It's no surprise that the gentrification of Brixton is mirrored in the "gentrification" of the forum.

A lot of members would do well to understand the history of the U75 forums and the work of the moderators etc.

It's a good job I'm not in charge as I'd have banned a lot of cunts a long time ago."

Bears repeating.

9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

You are quite right. I don't know the circumstances of what Ian Taylor did, or what happened to him, or why.

To give him a human face, which so far the police haven't done, I noticed there are loads of photos from 2009 in this location - taken at a gallery space in Arch 269 Coldharbour Lane (behind the Control Tower Rasta takeaway).
    Arch 269 - Coldharbour Lane/ Herne Hill - London, United Kingdom

samples: fluxm.jpg arch269.jpg Fluximus.jpg FT.jpg flux.jpg flxt.jpg flx.jpg flxe.jpg flxm.jpg flms.jpg

Finally I see he produced a sort of valediction - R.I.P. My Friend (feat Veereal - 2014)

10. mjd

mjd Active Member

As does my comment (modified) that anyone who doesn't agree with editor's and his allies' narrow view of the world is fair game to be hated.

Calling someone a dick or a cunt would be labelled a personal attack and lead to a ban by some people. But you're obviously immune. Congratulations.

discobastard, SpamMisery and Waladli like this.
  11. editor

editor hiraethified

If we banned every single person who called another poster a dick or a cunt there'd be few people left on some forums. But if you're deeply offended and wish to complain, kindly use the report post function, and let the mods decide.

As for me, I'm deeply insulted by your totally unsupported personal attack that accused me of "constantly vilifying the local youth," yet here you are, still posting, despite your lies.

12. mjd

mjd Active Member

Waladli likes this.
  13. mjd

mjd Active Member

I think you misunderstand me. I did not say that you were constantly vilifying the local youth. You do an immense amount to support them. I said that you were constantly vilifying white, newly-arrived professionals. And if the youth see you doing that, that may in some way contribute to the youth considering them the enemy.

It may seem as though I hate you. I don't. But please read what I say, rather than what you want it to say.

14. Nanker Phelge

Cheap shot.

editor likes this.
  15. mjd

mjd Active Member

Agreed. But it goes to a wider point. Without investment into Brixton, there can be no support of those most in need of it. If gentrification is inevitable (which is a whole other discussion not for today) then we need to look how to use it for good, rather than reject it out of hand.

16. editor

editor hiraethified

That is the shittest and stupidest argument I've seen on here for fucking ages.

And I don't need your half arsed opinion on what people on my estate think, thanks.

17. editor

editor hiraethified

Explain to me how gentrification can be used for good, especially for those being priced out of their homes and businesses. Thanks

mother hen and Gramsci like this.
  18. mjd

mjd Active Member

Do you think any of the people who contributed to that £1,500 might have been recently-arrived, white professionals?

19. mjd

mjd Active Member

Not every opinion on this site is for your sole consumption. Thankfully.

20. editor

editor hiraethified

Sorry, is this your killer point? So good you had to repeat it twice.

I've no idea who they were. They were all Bowie fans, and quite a few of whom had travelled a fair way to come to the gig. I imagine many weren't even interested/aware or particularly bothered that the money was going to charity, but it was my decision to give all the money away, mainly to local youth charities.

So the answer to your vital point is that I doubt if many, or any, were 'recently-arrived, white professionals,' not that I give a flying fuck.

And now you can explain to me how gentrification can be used for good, especially for those being priced out of their homes and businesses. Thanks

21. editor

editor hiraethified

Keep 'em peeled

66143927_2364712050451745_3629909619012272128_n.jpg

22. mjd

mjd Active Member

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree.

23. ricbake

ricbake working out how

I imagine disagreeable people find that happens a lot! :p

editor likes this.
  24. editor

editor hiraethified

I'm not disagreeing because you've yet to explain how gentrification can be used for good, especially for those being priced out of their homes and businesses. You made the point, so can you elaborate on it now please?

25. mjd

mjd Active Member

In this thread I have explained two ways in which, in my view, gentrification can be used for good:

1. Providing positive role models.

2. Injecting funds into an area badly in need of investment.

You don't consider either of these to be valid points, which is fine, but they are my attempt at explaining my personal view. You don't agree with the points. Hence we disagree.

Waladli likes this.
  26. mjd

mjd Active Member

I understand that does not stop people being priced out of their homes and businesses. But that was never my point.

27. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Shit, that's tough to put a smiling face to the news headlines.

I'm probably very guilty of not seeing the news as being a friend, son or brother.

RIP Ian.

CH1 likes this.
  28. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

As if it weren't bad enough that photographers with powerful lenses can see right into their bedrooms, these residents and other lucky households in the Herne Hill and Stewarts Lane interlocking area [translation teuchter?] will be at risk of Drone photography survey photography up to 27th December.
    drone attack.jpg
    The Plowman Craven website provides some very inspiring photos of drones. Almost reminiscent of the flight of the Condor.
    UAV-Vogel-Generic-Flying-Perth-Station_355121dc0885455c07dbf6eb3461e482.jpg
    UAV-Vogel-Infrastructure-Aqueduct-2_255f0d14c6632593054955ffe5411fc5.jpg

I feel tempted to write to them pointing out that we are still awaiting proper evaluation of the reinstatement of East Brixton station.

29. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Further to the above the contractor website has a promotional Youtube clip about their Drones.

30. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

For the sake of clarification, when I walk to work of a morning what should I wear while walking through Brixton? Clearly I can't wear a suit.

Is sack cloth and ashes ok or is it cultural appropriation? I'd prefer to avoid ashes if possible as we don't have showers in the office.

Suggestions welcome.

Waladli, alex_, Jimbeau and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.