Brixton news, rumours and general chat - summer 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 21, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Someone has gone to a lot of effort

Gramsci likes this.
  2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Retro is not worth bothering with. Your wasting your time. Its deliberate wind up.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 10:02 PM
    editor likes this.
  3. Gramsci

Well I wonder about that. One might think the anti semitism issue might have reduced vote. Didn't happen in Coldharbour ward.

Not did the LDs or Greens bring up Labour party anti semitism issue up in their election literature.

4. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

I would be loath to bring up anti semitism as a party in literature, if just because it might normalise it. Besides, I bet it comes up at the door regularly enough when people tell off Labour canvassers. Would be interesting to know from anyone who did it for them if it did come up much

alcopop likes this.
  5. Gramsci

Clearly didn't happen In Coldharbour ward then. A solidly working class ward. If results are anything to go by. If people felt Labour party was racist vote would have suffered. I don't hear people in area saying the Labour party is racist. And a lot of working class Labour voters are from ethnic minorities in this ward.

I canvessed for Rachel at recent election for Council and it never came up.

BusLanes and Southlondon like this.
  6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I guess even if the Greens were playing dirty (as far as I know they weren't) they might steer clear of the anti-Semitism issue because they have their own debate on this for some of the same reasons:
    Caroline Lucas resigns from the Stop the War Coalition
    this Wikipedia article might explain why if you go to the last section (notable members). Jeremy Corbyn and George Galloway are on the list - both have been vigorously attacked as anti-Semites.
    I confess I'm a bit naive on this issue, but I managed to acquire this book
    51rO1s9abvL._AC_US218_.jpg
    by the former councillor for Brixton Hill Ward (or Town Hall ward as it then was 1986-1990) and now MP for Bassettlaw (and scourge of Ken Livingstone).
    Maybe when I've tucked into this I can provide a full assessment.

BusLanes, Gramsci and teuchter like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Five requests for James fucking Blunt tonight from the gillet wearing gang. What has happened to Brixton?

Tricky Skills likes this.
  8. discobastard

discobastard ____*\(oo)/*____

Never mind :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 3:21 AM
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Do you have a point, or are you just busy acting like a dick?

Gramsci likes this.
  10. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Yes. Would love to see this quantification on an area like Brixton or Hackney as a whole. Individual cases will be worse off but I wonder as a whole are neighbourhoods quantifiably worse off.

After recently reading Factfulness I’ve been trying to find info on this. Looking places like in places like ONS etc I can’t find anything.

11. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Depends what your criteria for worse off would be?

How do you quantify Brixton or Hackney?

You'd have to break it down into wards, Businesses, residents, local charities (are they needing more or less)

Is it just financial? Can you measure the happiness, hopes, comfort, dreams of people.

Can you measure the impact of losing long term residents and businesses on today's Brixton and it's remaining/current residents?

Quite a task to measure. I wonder if it's been done anywhere before?

12. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Think you're barking up the wrong tree here my friend, of course neighbourhoods will be quantifiably better off under gentrification because the quantifiably worse off are the ones who are being replaced by yuppies. Also much of the negative impact is not quantifiable but emotional, like for example replacing wc pubs with yuppie bars or flats will lead to isolation and less community thereby making more people leave [you said as much in your comment about the Canterbury elsewhere]. I am actually a little concerned that your insistence on statistics and factfulness [lol] betrays a [deliberate] misunderstanding and that kind of undermines your qualification to comment on the process cos you might well be someone benefitting from it....

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 11:01 AM
  13. Mr Retro

Yes very difficult to measure. I couldn’t find anywhere it has been done, which is why I was interested when editor brought it up.

14. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight

misogyny an aulder hatred. But wouldn't expect a mann to recognise that

Badgers likes this.
  15. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep. You've nailed it right there.

17. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

You brought up quantifying the effects of gentrification.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018 at 7:28 PM
    Gramsci and editor like this.
  18. Mr Retro

I think you’ll find it was the editor. But I’m not interested in arguing here. It does seem the usual suspects are though.

19. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Just looked back. You are right, he did use the word first.

Mr Retro likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes, but Mr Retro wanted to run with what is an absolutely obvious statement and deliver some Huge Fact-Laden Point or another which failed to get off the ground (see post #1062).

Gramsci likes this.
  21. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Maybe, but I do have to hold my hands up when I have got it wrong.

teuchter likes this.
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Just walked through party town Brixton. Stag and hen parties in full effect marching up Electric Avenue, mass street pissing everywhere with a bonus double puke on Coldharbour Lane. I wonder what treats await in Windrush Square and Effra Road?!

23. Mardybum

Mardybum New Member

Anyone know what the massive party with sound system going on in the Sudbourne road area last night was about? I've got used to resorting to earplugs at the weekend as drunk posh people will inevitably be braying outside at 3 in the morning on their way home, but last night had to resort to sleeping on my hallway floor to get some peace. Just curious what was going on .. Sounded like a big bash..

editor likes this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. Gramsci

It was imo obvious bait to get posters going. There were no facts. Then make posters appear unreasonable. Retro is master at this.

Pickman's model and editor like this.
  26. Mr Retro

The type of discussion I was trying to have, I realise is not possible here. I may return to it later if I have the energy.

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Shame you can't be honest about your motives here, especially seeing as I wasn't the only poster to rumble you. Oh well.

Back to actual Brixton news, these went up as part of the Design Trail. I like them. I was asked to contribute but I felt uncomfortable about sticking art prints over street art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brixton Design Trail 2018 – Protest posters on Atlantic Road, Brixton

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This is shocking: 28% of families in London are living in poverty compared to 16.6% in the South-east

Given that some areas in Brixton are amongst the most deprived in London, that suggests that there's plenty of families enduring real hardship.

And:

Lambeth

Gramsci likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

For the second time in three days I've walked past an accident on Brixton Road. This one looks serious with a lot of police and medics in attendance.

Brixton Road has to be one of the most dangerous in the borough.