Brixton news, rumours and general chat - summer 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 21, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He should announce his departure date so locals can come out and wave him off. There's been a coordinated campaign from several newly arrived residents of that block to get the 414 closed down. Fuck them.

sealion likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Quite happy for them to exist, but not happy for them to move opposite a long established community venue and then try to do everything in their power to get it closed down permanently because it doesn't suit their personal lifestyle. I trust that answers your question in full.

(The desperate stretch of your argument here is duly noted too)

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Its obscene what developers like The Jed1 can do to community resources. What happened to the Grosvenor and the Canterbury was particularly disgusting.

4. mjd

mjd Member

It does answer my question in full, thank you. And I agree with you that if a newcomer moves opposite a long established venue like 414 then that person should have absolutely no right to complain.

But it does lead to another question.

If you are happy for "city boys" to exist then please could you stop assuming that each and every one of them is bad and using the term to imply some sort of evil person?

5. 3Zeros

3Zeros Well-Known Member

Yes, haven't they suffered enough?! :facepalm:

editor and cuppa tee like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Where have I assumed that they are all bad or evil? You are turning into the king of fallacious arguments.

7. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

The irony with the Normandy is that the owner leaves the bottom semi derelict and applies for planning to build a penthouse on top so his sniffy clients can be as far away from the oi poll oi as possible.....

8. mjd

mjd Member

Can you be sure that it was "city boys" who moved into those apartments on Coldharbour Lane? If not, then by using that term when you are referring to the sorts of people who move into apartments like that then complain about pre-existing noise then you are automatically assuming it must be city boys who do so and are therefore bad.

9. aka

aka Brixton Hill

Brilliant. This is the kind of reasoned debate I come for. The face palm - yay. (has second thoughts, maybeez peeps on the intenernet will be hirrible - gives no fukcs). Rolling down the river.....

Waladli and alcopop like this.
  10. littleseb

littleseb littleseb

i reckon mjd is a city boy. but not a bad one.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

More selective quoting, more fallacious arguments. You're becoming really dull now.

12. 3Zeros

3Zeros Well-Known Member

:facepalm:

aka and editor like this.
  13. aka

aka Brixton Hill

I reckon she is a lawyer. In the magic circle. Like, ummm... Paul Daniels or Dynamo.

theboris likes this.
  14. mjd

mjd Member

If my argument is fallacious, please explain why you chose to use the term "city boy" in the following post (which has been quoted in full):

"Sums up the sheer arrogance of these yuppie/city boy/Daddy financed incomers. They want the town to change to suit their selfish needs. If I was in charge of licensing, every time a nu-Brixton resident rocks into town and complains about the existing levels of noise, the bar would automatically get an hour extension to their late licence."

15. aka

aka Brixton Hill

genuine lol

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I gave a range of the demographics most likely to be able to afford these expensive flats. Are you denying that city boys are amongst the new demographic moving into Brixton?

Oh and I should have added 'young professional' to my list although that is often interchangeable with 'city boy.'

17. mjd

mjd Member

I'm not denying that at all. I agree with you. But are they all arrogant? Do they all want the "town to change"? Do they all have "selfish needs"? I accept that by the very fact that they are moving in, they will change the town. That may or may not be at the forefront of their mind when they choose to move into those flats. But some city boys might actually like to preserve as much of the existing Brixton as possible.

Related to that last point of mine, not every city boy moves to Brixton because they see it as edgy and cool and vibrant. The gentrification that is pushing long-standing Brixton residents out of Brixton has also pushed the "average" city boy out of the parts of London in which they might historically be more likely to live. And faced with a want/need (and I accept that a need is relative and highly subjective) to live close to the centre of the city, there is a diminishing number of areas to move into.

I am not sure that I agree that young professional is often interchangeable. There are plenty of professions that do not pay enough to afford a flat in Brixton, but are professions nonetheless.

18. 3Zeros

3Zeros Well-Known Member

You're just trolling now

Gramsci and editor like this.
  19. aka

aka Brixton Hill

At this point, I really don't know who is trolling who. RIP Aretha

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The ONES COMPLAINING ABOUT THE NOISE OF AN EXISTING VENUE ARE. Why is this so hard for you to understand? Are you being wilfully obtuse? I have quite clearly been specifically referring to the ones who tried to get the 414 closed down after they moved opposite.

Trying to deprive the owners of their livelihood and take away a much loved community venue because they've belatedly decided that they don't like the area they've just moved into is about as selfish as you can get.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep and it's got boring now.

22. 3Zeros

3Zeros Well-Known Member

But gentrification has forced them to move to Brixton! They can't be blamed for wanting to make it more like the places they were meant to live!

Gramsci and editor like this.
  23. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

To save everyone time, each time the noise issue comes up, simply refer to this handy diagram. Then we don't have to go through it over and over again.

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 14.21.21.jpg

alcopop, Waladli, Mr Retro and 3 others like this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

blameless77 and Gramsci like this.
  25. aka

aka Brixton Hill

that makes zero sense, i mean absolute zero. Nothing, nada, zip 'sense. If you;re a venn diagram - where's the fucking sweet spot

26. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

This forum is where I started on Urban years ago. I agree the gentrification of Brixton is mirrored in whats happened to Brixton forum.

I do remember when I was one of the more "mainstream" posters here back when I started.

Posters like Ernestolynch and Annakey are long gone. I know other posters who have been pushed out of Brixton. So no longer post here.

Im often finding it rather depressing now.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    3Zeros and editor like this.
  27. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

There is no fucking sweet spot.

Jesus, I'd forgotted why I hardly ever post in the Brixton forum, other than the History thread. Reading back through the last couple of pages here has reminded me.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Please do try. We need some balance from the depressing deluge of anti-union, anti-workers, anti-poor, pro-free enterprise and pro-Blairite posts.

3Zeros and Gramsci like this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

30. Pickman's model

Pickman's model One star in sight