Brixton news, rumours and general chat - summer 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Jun 21, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Blimey that was a lot of rain earlier. And there's much rumbling coming from the skies now. Take a brolley if you're going out!

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Anyone been to Donburi & Co on Station Road? This is where that awful toff-owned reggae burger place was going to be ...

2018-08-09_210922.jpg

3. aka

aka Brixton Hill

Yes. Food was average. Is it 'toff-owned' - I couldn't say. It is doomed - almost 100%.

editor likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've no idea who owns it but the originally planned Boomburger was toff owned. Thankfully he fucked off before opening.

5. aka

aka Brixton Hill

6. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Mixmaster Morris mentioned a Japanese restaurant by the rec on Facebook just yesterday but didn't name it.....must've meant this gaff....

7. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Im not clear why it's breaking the law. Nor do I understand why.

I don't get comparison with driving car into foyer. Which would likely cause death and injury. I don't think anyone would support that.

According to Industrial tribunal the offending quote from reps email as this:

Cineworld aren't contesting effectiveness of this. I don't know if Cineworld or reps are over estimating effectiveness of this.

I've never booked tickets so don't know how it works.

Sounds good idea to me if it worked

8. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Ate there once late at night after a fair few beers (so not at my sharpest) but the bimbimbap (sp?) was pretty good and bloke serving was friendly - from rural area in Korea. Owner seems to be Korean-American from Companies House.

9. Winot

It’s Korean.

cuppa tee likes this.
  10. cuppa tee

......any idea where MM meant then ?

E2a.....Hang on .....tinter net says its japanese/Korean

11. Winot

Dunno and Donburi isn’t a Korean word is it. But food is definitely Korean. Perhaps they are hedging bets.

12. cuppa tee

image.jpeg

13. Winot

14. cuppa tee

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Winot likes this.
  15. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I think our ideas of how to overload a website are quite different.

What you are suggesting is legal, and done by enough people would probably be effective and hard to counter. It’d be very resource intensive though.

Alex

16. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

I thought he meant DDoS.

17. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

Whats the latest on the Arches in Brixton, never seen one contractor go into "site" its just seems like everyone has been kicked out and nothing being done.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The whole thing has been a disaster for Brixton. And all the while, the pawn shop and the bookies keep on tradin'.

19. ricbake

ricbake working out how

20. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I see contractors going in and out most times I go past. There are notices on the hoardings with some photos/detail of what's been done so far; I posted one on the arches thread a little while ago.

21. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

Thanks, i'll go have a look. Does seem to be moving at a snails pace.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

23. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Me too

24. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Turning off JavaScript works too.

25. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I think the issue is that ritzy workers/Bectu can't be seen to be encouraging/ organising this.

alex_ likes this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Thunderstorm ahoy!

sealion likes this.
  27. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

Hailstones in Peckham :eek:

editor likes this.
  28. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I was canvassed last night by the Green Party as there is to be a by-election in Colharbour Ward next month. Apparently the Labour councillor Matt Parr died recently Of cancer. He was only 61. :( Michael Groce is standing again for the Greens.

29. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Lib Dems put a leaflet through at my place yesterday.

One side is all "Help us stop Brexit" the other "Labour's not working for you" with an arch picture. At the bottom of the page a black bar mentions the by-election and gives condolences for the family of deceased Councillor Matt Parr.

It might have been an idea if the Lib Dems had gone into a pact with the Greens as worked in Richmond earlier this year. But that's obviously not happening in Lambeth at the moment. In any case the combined Green/Lib Dem vote is only half of Labour's - unless they have a really good by-election this time.

Gramsci likes this.
  30. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Coldharbour Labour not giving much away - yet. This set of people "talking to Coldharbour residents abt the sad death of Cllr Matt Parr & what’s at stake in the 13.9 by-election" seem to be on the council already - all eight of them

Gramsci likes this.