Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Spring 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tolpuddle

Tolpuddle Cooperative council-my arse.

I'm only inspired to puke.

editor likes this.
  2. discobastard

discobastard edited

Maybe you should get something more pressing to worry about?

'Somebody different to you is doing a marathon to raise money for women's charities'

Why would that make you puke?

hungry_squirrel likes this.
  3. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Yeah...investment bankers are human too, y'know!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Gramsci, mx wcfc and editor like this.
  4. editor

editor hiraethified

I think it's brilliant when people take part in marathons to raise money for the less fortunate. It takes a lot of hard work and effort to run a marathon.

However, I'm less impressed when I get sent a press release singling out one individual investment banker's "inspiring" story in the hope that their name will get plastered all over their press.

Gramsci likes this.
  5. editor

editor hiraethified

6. discobastard

discobastard edited

• Inappropriate Content
    There's a lot of contradictory stuff going on here then. We like people doing stuff for charity, but not if they want to get their name out there or are an investment banker (even though we don't know what they invested in).

And we also like free digital media and advertising courses, but we regularly talk about what wankers advertising, marketing and PR agencies are. And the people that run advertising agencies are not dissimilar to investment bankers in that a) they have a lot of money and b) their job is to effectively take more off of others.

So is a free course that gets young people to be more like them a good thing or a bad thing?

Confusing isn't it.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  7. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Focus has now been returned to disapproving of individuals, etc, so we are back on track. Phew!

8. Nanker Phelge

Do we need a consensus?

editor likes this.
  9. editor

editor hiraethified

This board wasn't set up with any expectations of consensus on every issue, but the fairly recent lurch to right-leaning, pro-gentrification, 'I'm alright Jack' politics coupled with a depressing keenness to belittle and attack leftish/community initiatives is a real, real shame.

It gets pointed out to me quite a lot by local activists and I find it a bit embarrassing at times.

10. Nanker Phelge

Admittedly once upon a time there was more of a general perspective which was closer to my own than nowadays.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  11. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I did provide alternative.

12. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I've had chat with friend of mine recently about politics In this country. She joined Labour party due to Corbyn. In her seventies.

I said I often found old people open minded and naturally of the left. They grew up and were adults when life in the this country seemed to be improving. Idea of Welfare State and mixed economy with workers having decent rights seemed the norm.

The other segment of the population we felt affinity with were young people. The other lot who felt what Corbyn represented was for them. The young generation realise life is not going to be better for them unless there is radical change.

Its the middle group we felt out of affinity with.

There general perspective is that of accepting the middle ground / Thatcher norms as a fact of life. If you mention anything different you are not living in the real world.

So I am hopeful. I think things will change. The general perspective will change.

editor, Nanker Phelge and mx wcfc like this.
  13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I recall a couple of weeks ago someone complaining about Lembit Opik doing vox pops in central Brixton.
    I haven't been able to track that one down, but here is another Urban75 favourite done very recently.
    Aparat is a sort of Iranian Youtube apparently - maybe Lee is calling in a favour from George Galloway here?
    Sirena Did you get an eagle's eye view of this?

14. Nanker Phelge

I didn't complain. I just pointed out that he was there doing it.

CH1 likes this.
  15. editor

editor hiraethified

16. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Way to entirely miss my point.

17. ViolentPanda

Some skill-learning classes are value-for-money. I did a "pickling" class at Brockwell Community Greenhouses. £30-ish for 3 hrs, but you got a lot of tips of the sort you don't find in books, and my sauerkraut has never been so good!

T & P likes this.
  18. ViolentPanda

Directly above the directions to the kharzis, too. How apt!

19. ViolentPanda

Entirely possible. Resurfacing etc is Highways dept, change of use is planning dept, I believe.

20. editor

editor hiraethified

The ones that close half an hour before bladder-bulging drinkers depart! :facepalm:

21. ViolentPanda

Yep, meaning that the entire area stinks of piss until the morning. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

editor likes this.
  22. editor

editor hiraethified

Albert loo scene

2019-04-27_153540.jpg

Gramsci likes this.
  23. editor

editor hiraethified

2019-04-27_210716.jpg

The 'Disco Festival' in Windrush Square

24. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

A wind blown open space in broad daylight is not the ideal setting for disco tbf

Gramsci and editor like this.
  25. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

It may be worth comparing this with disco in Brixton prior to the arrival of Brixton Buzz:

Brixton Disco, Pre-Brixton Buzz style

cuppa tee likes this.
  26. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

As a matter of interest would that have been Clouds - ie 390 Brixton Road after the RamJam and before The Fridge?

27. editor

editor hiraethified

What has the 'arrival' of Brixton Buzz got to do with anything here?

Gramsci likes this.
  28. cuppa tee

Yes according to the comments in the YouTube link.

29. editor

editor hiraethified

Gramsci likes this.
  30. cuppa tee

I was not in brIxton at that time but the clip could easily have been filmed in clubs I used to frequent in the north, Leeds Derby Leicester Nottingham also a country club up near Darlington which was Sunday night and drew large contingents from far afield where I saw a group of dancers form a human pyramid on the dance floor with a guy on top playing a trumpet......

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Nanker Phelge and editor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.