Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Spring 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. editor

editor hiraethified

Eeek. Have you got a link for that?

2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Love Lambeth

3. discobastard

discobastard edited

4. ricbake

ricbake working out how

[​IMG]
    The Council recently won grant to turn Brixton into a Creative Enterprise Zone
    This will have beneficial effect on the income able to be generated by a project like this...

How architects are reaping the rewards of the co-working boom

Gramsci likes this.
  5. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

.....if only it were that simple, advertising is conditioning, it's everywhere and you can't escape it, it promotes lifestyles and consumerism, in doing so it helps create exclusion and all sorts of problems associated with that.

twistedAM, Gramsci and editor like this.
  6. discobastard

discobastard edited

• Inappropriate Content
    Yes, I know that. That’s why I find the digital creative school in the Buzz ad kind of disconcerting.

7. editor

editor hiraethified

Don't mention me or the website I run. That is the terms of mutual ignore. And we have never, ever run adverts, you deceitful shit.

Gramsci likes this.
  8. editor

editor hiraethified

That is truly nauseous stuff. All that holistic 'flexible and joyous working, living and playing’ will be for the elite.

9. editor

editor hiraethified

10. editor

editor hiraethified

2019-06-14_130012.jpg

Coldharbour Lane 2am.

Gramsci and Smick like this.
  11. editor

editor hiraethified

Twitter isn't impressed with that car ad :D

BusLanes, Gramsci and peterkro like this.
  12. editor

editor hiraethified

13. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

14. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

I wondered why she seemed to be going in circles around Brixton. Can't find anywhere to park, maybe?

billythefish, Smick, T & P and 4 others like this.
  15. Gramsci

Just to check. This post is a joke? You aren't being serious?

editor likes this.
  16. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

It probably is serious. I have noticed a lot of these type of vehicles around Brixton.
    Guess its a status type of thing. So unnecessary, but if you happen to have the cash to flaunt it,
    your probably going to make yourself very visible about what type of vehicle you drive around in.

editor likes this.
  17. Gramsci

What Twattor posted was :

Imo the gross disparities in wealth are commonly visible in London. What I wanted to know from Twattor is if the above comment was tongue in cheek or actual opinion.

I myself don't think its prejudiced to take the piss out of super models from aristocratic backgrounds going on about "diversity" whilst driving a car most people in my neighborhood couldn't afford.

TBH I've had a long day. I was in central London moving stuff from a new flat that was told was worth 7 million.

The new London is being built for the rich. This add for Land Rover with all its nods to diversity etc is more than annoying.

Smick, ShiftyBagLady and editor like this.
  18. MissL

MissL Well-Known Member

Seems like the people of Edinburgh aren't too impressed by this moronic campaign either:- Outrage over Land Rover advert which encourages people to bring new £31,295 model to Edinburgh However, note the tone of the comments underneath is markedly different. In fact this thing will probably work out in their favour in the end. Pitch the 'tree huggers' against the 'climate deniers', get them to spread your word, reach even more people. Does Range Rover's actual target market even give a shit about what they do to the environment, never mind poor urban children walking to and from state school? Highly doubtful. A cynic might even say it was all part of the plan. I can already hear them chinking their champagne glasses at the prospect of a national newspaper covering this, perhaps a bonus for Tarquin if it's the Telegraph. C***s.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Gramsci likes this.
  19. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Apparently a man was stabbed in a pub in Coldharbour Lane last night. Not sure which one.

20. editor

editor hiraethified

I was out and about in Coldharbour Lane from 1am to 3am, and saw nothing untoward - any idea what time it was supposed to have happened? The Albert was fine until the end, so that one is ruled out.

21. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

BBC Website:

At 04:00 police were called by the ambulance service after an altercation at a pub in Coldharbour Lane in Brixton, south London, where two men were injured. One was stabbed and remains in hospital while the other received minor injuries.

22. editor

editor hiraethified

Oh blimey. That narrows it down to the Dogstar, Market House and PoW, I guess. I'll ask around :(

What a grim 24 hours for London:

Three London murders in 24 hours

23. editor

editor hiraethified

There's something a bit odd about this stabbing report. It's been suggested that it was outside Market House but they were completely closed at 3am....

24. David Clapson

David Clapson Infamous Knob

Don't leave us hanging - we need to know what it was! Or I do anyway. :D

editor likes this.
  25. David Clapson

Come off it. Brixton is already rammed with big 4x4s, and nearly all the drivers are black. The ad merely reflects what is already happening. The Range Rover in the ad is the Evoque, which costs £32 grand. It's clearly within reach of a great many "diverse" people in South London. Maybe because homeowners in Brixton/Peckham/Camberwell have benefited from gentrification and moved out to Norwood/Crystal Palace/Croydon.

Waladli likes this.
  26. editor

editor hiraethified

Actually, it merely starts from £32k and then goes rapidly upwards for the full status-symbol versions. And I'm happy to report that Brixton is far from being overrun with such monstrous vehicles.

Gramsci likes this.
  27. editor

editor hiraethified

Brixton 2-3am tonight

2019-06-16_033814.jpg 2019-06-16_033750.jpg 2019-06-16_033735.jpg

Pickman's model, BusLanes and Smick like this.
  28. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

This.....

and it was followed by this...

thx for asking

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    David Clapson likes this.
  29. editor

editor hiraethified

30. David Clapson

What you don't realise is that the Evoque and the full size Range Rover are actually two different cars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.