Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Spring 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Love that last photo

editor likes this.
  2. editor

editor hiraethified

empty-dog.jpg

The Dogstar ballroom, 2am last night.

Remember when there used to be 30 metre queues up Coldharbour Lane? Not any more. They've really fucked it up.

I have sympathy for the DJ but then a bloke staring at a laptop isn't exactly visually stimulating for a crowd.

Smick likes this.
  3. David Clapson

David Clapson Infamous Knob

A wagon load of police has arrived to patrol central Brixton when the event in Brockwell Park empties.

4. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Bloody hell. Better get down the Beehive before they lock the doors!

BusLanes and David Clapson like this.
  5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I can't match the exact angle - but this is the more "old Brixton" version (note date - this happened very quickly)
    Gresham Gates.jpg

friendofdorothy likes this.
  6. David Clapson

David Clapson Infamous Knob

Refugee Community Kitchen have been giving away free meals under the tree in Windrush Sq for the last 11 Sundays. Back in the day they would have been arrested 2 Arrests at Brixton Reclaim Your Food More proof that policing cuts are endangering our lives.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  7. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

So whats gone wrong at the Dogstar then? Have they started charging a tenner in or something? Antic's drink prices have certainly climbed a fair bit in the last couple of years.

8. editor

editor hiraethified

They've just failed to change with the times. It's been a slow decline and their recent, rather strange, focus on showing sport on the big screen in the main room on weekends is hardly going to bring new people in. I went past at 9pm on Friday night and they had tennis on in the main room. I'm sure some people like tennis, but the majority of people coming to Brixton are more likely to want to listen to music, dance and drink rather than admire a volley rally or whatever.

I've always suggested that putting on live music in the main room earlier in the night could be a winner. I used to ram the place out on Thursdays back in the day, when Brixton was nowhere near as busy as it is now.

9. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

i just fail to see how they could fuck it up when the format in places like it is so simple for a Friday and Saturday night, just get a DJ in to play cheese music and the pissed up punters will normally come. Surely it hasnt changed that much. To go from fat queues to completely empty in the space of 2 years is drastic, the kind of thing you would only normally see if word gets out about a murder at a venue, for example.

No doubt similar venues like the POW (pub bit) are still doing a roaring trade at the weekends, with virtually the same type of entertainment? minus the sport, of course.

10. editor

editor hiraethified

It's quite easy to lose a crowd if you don't keep your eye on the ball and promote it right though - and this has been a slow, gradual process. Our nights there were always busy but I had to promote them like fuck and try and offer something a bit different. My last gig in the ballroom was in the traditionally tough early January period (the Bowie benefit) and it was a complete sell out - but the management never even invited us back! Happily, we've got a good thing going at the Effra Social now, where we keep it simple and promote it to fuck.

Truth is that Brixton is rapidly changing and is now stuffed full of alternative nights vying for a punter's cash (and nearby Peckham has got loads more on too), so no club can rest on its laurels. The success of the Chip Shop opposite shows that if you get the package right, punters will come. Jamm has reinvented itself a bit recently too, and why the Dog didn't go for some of the Hoople crowd is a mystery to me!

I hope the Dogstar recovers though - I've had some great nights there. I'd be happy to play there again, but I'm not daft enough to think I've got a big enough following to make the room go from zero punters to full!

BusLanes likes this.
  11. editor

editor hiraethified

Gramsci likes this.
  12. editor

editor hiraethified

13. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Tbf it was like that the first and last time I played, in retrospect I think I lost the crowd when I opened with a lindisfarne b side :thumbs:

editor likes this.
  14. editor

editor hiraethified

Bold move....

cuppa tee likes this.
  15. cuppa tee

I was doing irony before it was cool.

16. editor

editor hiraethified

Mind you, I've never seen a full dance floor at the Dogstar dissipate any quicker than when I played my death metal version of 'Staying Alive.'

I thought it was brilliant and funny and danceable. Turned out that I was alone with that thought.

17. cuppa tee

Haha, well I was first on doing the warm up, there was only about 10 in the room and I knew 6 of em so thanks for making me feel better....:cool:

BusLanes and editor like this.
  18. editor

editor hiraethified

The ultimate seal of approval! :D

CHAKA.jpg

19. editor

editor hiraethified

20. editor

editor hiraethified

21. editor

editor hiraethified

22. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

This vibrant enough for you?

Feel a little nauseous

Gramsci likes this.
  23. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Everyone knows a high powered 4x4 is the only vehicle capable of handling the tough conditions found on the streets of London. Every day I witness hundreds of ordinary cars failing to conquer Brixton Hill and hopelessly sliding back down to the bottom of the incline.

billythefish, Gramsci and editor like this.
  24. editor

editor hiraethified

God that is fucking awful. I can feel an opinion-dividing Buzz article coming right up!

BusLanes likes this.
  25. nick

nick Pleomorphic Adenomas R us

Kind of knew that would hit the spot. Enjoy

BusLanes likes this.
  26. editor

editor hiraethified

Love it :)

I hope you don't mind but I quoted you in my piece :)

27. editor

editor hiraethified

Gramsci likes this.
  28. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

By my guest :)

editor likes this.
  29. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I see quite a lot of Evoques in parts of Central London. Its considered to be non pretentious car in parts of London. Expensive but not flashy like a Rolls.

She ticks all the right boxes for modern diverse UK.

Including her activism.

What gets me is how class never features in any of this celebration of diversity.

Its just ignored.

editor likes this.
  30. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

btw The Council recently won grant to turn Brixton into a Creative Enterprise Zone. Advertising counts as being creative. I don't understand why.

twistedAM and editor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.