Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Spring 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 19, 2019.

1. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

I'm tempted to go for the very last night tonight.

2. editor

editor Walking along the lonely street of dreams

We've just got back in! Tonight is going to be special!

TopCat and BusLanes like this.
  3. TopCat

TopCat Gone away, no forwarding address

I admire your stamina Sir.

Pickman's model and editor like this.
  4. editor

Last ever night at the 414. End of an era. So fucking sad. IMG_20190527_044236_779.jpg

5. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Does anyone know of a walk in medical centre open today?
    Google is telling me the one in Streatham has been closed for over a year? :(
    Thanks.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    Pickman's model likes this.
  6. RoyReed

RoyReed Must fly!

I've never used it, but there's one at Clapham Junction. I don't know if there's anything closer to Brixton.

The Junction Health Centre

7. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Thanks. I saw that one on Google. But looking further into it, it says you have to register with them as your main gp.
    So I'd have to leave mine. At least that's how it seems to work. :confused:

Ok looks like I'm wrong. I just noticed the don't need to be registered part. Thanks will try that.

Pickman's model and RoyReed like this.
  8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Specially on those occasions when he's said nothing in the slightest objectionable

Gramsci and RoyReed like this.
  9. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

Liked for 'good luck!'

xsunnysuex likes this.
  10. BusLanes

BusLanes Pedestrian

Good night for the LDs and Greens and we all now have a MEP, Scott.

11. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

12. editor

13. editor

14. editor

brixtonblade likes this.
  15. editor

16. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

17. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I think it’s the fucking up of guerilla gardening which is being objected too.

Alex

Gramsci likes this.
  18. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

From a prominent local Black Green:

"BRIXTON IS the second most famous black community in the world; Harlem’s first. Here are two equally famous – sometimes infamous - neighbourhoods that members of the Diaspora have proudly chosen to call home ..."

So What Makes Brixton Tick?

19. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

TBH I find this depressing. Someone started a thread about voluntary work on Urban. One poster said they do go around to plant flowers etc in streets.

I've read all the notes.

Looks to me that a some local residents have been trying to do their bit and make the street look nice.

And have been accused of being gentrifiers.

Its imo depressing that its come to this.

Their are plenty of things that have happened or are happening to local area re gentrification.

Like scumbag developers wriggling out of affordable housing, Network Rail and the arches, a supine local Labour Council who have no answers to gentrification.

Yet a few locals who try to make the streets look a bit better, voluntarily for no pay, are accused of being gentrifiers.

This is offensive.

I'm the first to criticse this Council and property developers. Capitalism is the problem not well meaning people planting flowers.

20. friendofdorothy

Rebel Dykes! - There's a meeting locally soon, about the women who lived in Brixton squats in the 80s, with a showing of the trailer and discussion with Fisch - one of the rebel dykes who will be telling us about their project to make a full length documentary film.

PM me for details if you are interested.

21. editor

I'd be fucked off if someone nicked flowers I'd planted - but then I also see people helping themselves to daffodils that appear outside the Barrier Block every year. Fuckers.

Gramsci likes this.
  22. editor

Happy to list it on Buzz (but only if they want/need the publicity). If so, mail me the details, if not, ignore this post!

23. Gramsci

24. friendofdorothy

not for this event, thanks - its a small free discussion. I'll ask the Rebel Dykes if they want coverage of the film documentary project though.

I haven't listed details on U75 listings as we have had some dubious journalists contacting us as they have seen it here, demanding comments from us.

ShiftyBagLady likes this.
  25. Gramsci

You've posted this up directly after the post about gentrification and Street gardening.

I can only conclude you are taking a position on that.

Your time here you've always posted up links but you have never put up links and said what your view is.

So what is your view on the street gardening?

26. editor

27. editor

28. Gramsci

Im a regular blood donor.

Its quite easy process.

I use the London West End Blood donor centre near Oxford Circus. Its permanent centre open seven days a week now. Unlike the ones like this that move around. So if one can't do this one there is the West End centre. I go on weekends.

Its well worth doing. Blood donations in this country are voluntary ( not paid for ) and NHS always need blood.

They text me where the blood went. After 10 donations I got a badge and certificate. So they appreciate what you do.

A tip always drink plenty of water based drink before donating.

London West End Blood Donor Centre

29. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

Blood donation saved my life, cheers to all the bleeding darlings that donate :thumbs: :cool:

friendofdorothy, Smick and Gramsci like this.
  30. Gramsci

One of the things that makes me more positive about this country in these Brexit times is when I go to the West End Blood donor centre. Its very busy. With a diverse range of people. Its worth going just to see there is another side to this country.