Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Spring 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Elm Park always have quite a few veggie options on their menu and are always happy to make a vegan option for for Mr Shakes. He’s never felt like they’ve just taken ingredients out of a veggie or meat dish which is a common occurrence.

BusLanes, colacubes and Nanker Phelge like this.
  2. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

As my partner is Vegan I will stick to Van Gogh. And its cheaper. Plus every time I have been there its been good quality with big portions.

I object to this know in advance stuff. A lot of places are putting vegan options on menu.

editor likes this.
  3. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

On their standard menu (well the April one of their website) there are vegan and veggie options, this is a special event set menu that you need to book for and they will do veggie and vegan options if people want them.

They’ve increased veggie and vegan options since they opened so are obviously responding to customer demands.

Great local pub in my experience.

BusLanes and colacubes like this.
  4. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

It’s a one off event. I’d have the hump if you had to do it with their everyday menu. But from what others are saying that’s not the case.

I get people get the hump with overpriced menus and stuff. But they are trying to be accommodating and actually for 5 courses it’s a totally reasonable price.

I know this is a bugbear for some people, but ffs can we not all be a bit more reasonable. £30 for 5 courses is reasonable and they have to make a living. I’ve literally just come from the bog standard Portuguese restaurant in Tulse Hill and paid £40 for 2 for a 2 drinks each, bread and olives and 2 main courses. So £30 for 5 courses is really quite cheap tbh.

5. Gramsci

You haven't read my post properly.

6. colacubes

Yes I have.

7. Gramsci

Not properly. Your reply is reading a lot into my post that wasn't there.

8. colacubes

I have. You object to the let us know in advance. Fine. But it’s a one off. What’s the problem? I don’t get any choice as a carnivore. I can take it or leave it.

editor was objecting to a) the price; and b) the fact veggies and vegans were told to fuck off. A) The price is reasonable (whether I’d choose to pay it is a different matter); and b) they’re not - they’re just asked to let them know in advance.

I know Brixton has changed. I was there tonight and frankly a lot of the braying fuckwits were getting on my tits (hence why I ended up at the Portuguese caff in Tulse Hill). But I get a bit sick of the constant bashing of some stuff which is actually reasonably priced. It’s not my thing but good luck to them. Some businesses are utterly taking the piss, but perhaps we could be a bit more reflective before having a go straight away.

hungry_squirrel and sparkybird like this.
  9. Gramsci

You should go back and look at my post. And what I was quoting.

Your bringing in stuff, yet again, that I was not posting about.

10. discobastard

discobastard edited

You can choose the stuff you get fucked off about. I’ve learnt that.

Some of it just isn’t worth it. A reasonably affordable dinner offer with a call ahead veggie/vegan offer really shouldn’t be one of those things.

11. editor

editor hiraethified

Van Gogh is miles better because they actually give something back to the community. Lovely people.

catriona and ShiftyBagLady like this.
  12. editor

editor hiraethified

I was responding to their tweet which made no mention of any vegan/veggie options.

And I will admit to having a bit of a problem with menus that are "designed" but perhaps I'm just too cynical for my own good!

13. Smick

Smick Strictly Second Class

Enjoy!

You have made me laugh and cry in equal measure by perfectly capturing that most irritating of phrases. I'm not sure if it even is a phrase, as it's just a single word with emphasis, but everybody nowadays is telling me to enjoy things. Usually as a parting instruction. Who started them all doing it?

I should make a point of phoning whoever has said it to me late at night to detail exactly how much enjoyment I got from whatever it is that they told me to enjoy.

"That afternoon at Latchmere swimming pool that you told me to enjoy. The changing rooms were quite dirty and, because there were swimming lessons on, they didn't turn the wave machine on, both of which impacted the enjoyment somewhat."

That would teach them....

14. paul mckenna

paul mckenna New Member

It's like ordering a coffee from any "italian" coffee shop. They basically shout "enjoy it" at you

Smick likes this.
  15. editor

editor hiraethified

catriona and Angellic like this.
  16. editor

editor hiraethified

17. editor

editor hiraethified

18. editor

editor hiraethified

There's been a bit of a lads punch up at the Prince of Wales. Quite a few cops on the scene.

19. editor

editor hiraethified

Trendy mummies and daddies - Instagram this!

Gramsci and BusLanes like this.
  20. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

This sounds like a Tupperware party for buying children's clothes. A bit out of my area.

HOWEVER

What is happening with 100 Barringon Road?
    The owner put it on the market a couple of years ago.
    Did they sell? If so who to?

I guess you are hankering after Lambeth Council housing away-days and exotic art exhibitions?
    100 barrington road.jpg

Gramsci likes this.
  21. ShiftyBagLady

ShiftyBagLady Thinks she is a flower to be looked at

The fucking Youth Club? :facepalm:

22. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Sick innit

ShiftyBagLady, Gramsci and editor like this.
  23. editor

editor hiraethified

Where you pay £10 just to look at the things they want you to buy!

Gramsci likes this.
  24. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

Why would you pay for that? Am missing something?

editor likes this.
  25. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

I might just send my kids along for some free networking / summer vibes whilst I defrost the freezer

26. editor

editor hiraethified

Trendy mummies and daddies can't miss out on the latest Instagram brand trends for their little darlings!

Gramsci likes this.
  27. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

If anyone is about in Brixton then Time Tunnel are putting on a free pre-show party ahead of The Specials gigs both today and tomorrow from 2pm until about 8pm...

ETA: Upstairs at Market House

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    BusLanes and editor like this.
  28. theboris

theboris Well-Known Member

29. editor

editor hiraethified

Now this is priceless. The Wine Parlour has already complained about the noise coming from other units in Brixton Village, dispute them only arriving in the last week or so.

twistedAM, ShiftyBagLady and BusLanes like this.
  30. editor

editor hiraethified

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.