Brixton news, rumours and general chat: Spring 2019

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 19, 2019.

1. theboris

theboris Well-Known Member

2. theboris

theboris Well-Known Member

The old joke that did the rounds in the 90s was that John Major was the only man to ever run away from the circus to join a bank

ricbake, friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  3. ChrisSouth

ChrisSouth Well-Known Member

4. editor

editor Forked with electrons

I'm sure the Telegraph will survive.

Gramsci likes this.
  5. ChrisSouth

I don’t think that’s the point of copyright conventions. When did you start seeing (c) as means tested?

6. editor

Are you REALLY that desperate for a fight that you're going to argue on behalf of the fucking Telegraph over the use of one (linked) copy and pasted article on a non profit site? :rolleyes:

blameless77 likes this.
  7. ChrisSouth

Not really. I’m going to argue on behalf of those who create something that they have the inalienable right to decide who has access to that thing that they’ve created and at what cost and with what conditions. When did you stop believing that?

8. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

In your perverse view of copyright you've just breached editor right to his inalienable right to decide who has access to his creation ( his post) by quoting it.
    M'learned friends will be in touch.

editor likes this.
  9. ChrisSouth

Not really. It’s not my perverse view of copyright, but a widely accepted definition outlined in the 1988 copyright act. I’ve used the editor’s words for the purpose of criticism and review, which is permitted usage under copyright convention, and where there is proven precedent on this site.

I was wondering when he’d ceased supporting copyright convention.

Your next question?

10. editor

FYI: I didn't reproduce the text myself - although it remains freely available to anyone at no cost - no images were reproduced and the content here was credited with a link. So basically it's a case of "internet article gets quoted on non-profit bulletin board elsewhere with link to source." I think you'll find it happens all the time.

But good luck with pursuing something as flimsily piss-weak as that in the courts if that's what you want to do.

11. editor

Ah, so it really is all about making it personal.

PS Just in case you missed it: I didn't post up the text. Which rather begs the question: why aren't you admonishing the person who you did in your selfless quest to defend the Telegraph's copyright?

12. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

So my posting of the verbal bollocks (creative work my arse) from the Telegraph was not for the purpose of criticism and/or review.

editor likes this.
  13. editor

For the record, my words and images get reposted all over the fucking shop every week without permission.

If it's a commercial site, I get very angry. If it's a non profit site (i.e without adverts), I usually just insist on a credit and a link.

14. editor

If anyone is interested, you can see the base of the elevated platform of Brixton station at the moment.

2019-05-01_162011.jpg

Smick and Gramsci like this.
  15. ChrisSouth

Nothing personal, so you can let that one lie.

But you did ask for it to be pasted on the site you manage.

I’d defend any copyright holder to allow their content to be protected or used as they see fit or put behind a paywall.

I’m not sure why you’re referring to courts, but it seems a big leap.

16. ChrisSouth

Interesting point. That would be to do with the percentage of the quoted content from the whole work. What percentage of the whole is it?

17. editor

Yes. And?
    What 'crime' does that make me guilty of?

18. ChrisSouth

Why do you speak of crimes and courts?

19. editor

Why are you fucking droning on and on about something that nobody cares about, and why are you aiming it at me when I wasn't the person who posted up the Torygraph content that you're suddenly so deeply concerned about?

20. ChrisSouth

Let’s let it lie, given that no one cares about copyright. That’s useful to know

21. editor

Jesus. What's the matter with you? I've said nothing of the sort so kindly quit posting up such dishonest, deceitful crap.

What I said was that no one cares about one bit of cut and paste from the Torygraph being reproduced here. As far as I can see, you're the only person getting your knickers in a twist. But well done for all the disruption anyway. Great job.

:rolleyes::facepalm:

Gramsci likes this.
  22. ChrisSouth

Good. Glad that’s cleared up. I was worried for a while

23. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

friendofdorothy, Gramsci and editor like this.
  24. editor

The last two lines of this ring just as true today, sadly :(

cuppa tee likes this.
  25. ash

ash Inittogether

These homes ‘beat to rhythm of Brixton’

Visit the BRX show apartment & marketing suite today. These 1, 2 & 3 bed homes truly beat to the rhythm of Brixton, with high-spec interiors, private balcony or terraces to each home, communal gardens & unbeatable transport links. Prices from £455,000.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  26. editor

Spring showers yesterday

2019-05-03_012729.jpg

Smick, Gramsci and BusLanes like this.
  27. editor

Double rainbow!

2019-05-03_015921.jpg

28. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

CAFE MAX IS REOPENING TOMORROW!

Hurrah!

twistedAM, BusLanes and brixtonblade like this.
  29. editor

30. editor