1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - September 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

well excuse me for having an opinion. Wish I'd never asked.

urbanspaceman and T & P like this.
  2. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

We were in Brixton yesterday and had a look at Squire and Partners. It's really is a beautiful building. Looks like it's more or less ready too.

We were sad to see the corner shop/off license opposite owned by Martin closed and up for rent.

Station market road with all the stalls out was as busy and as I remember it from 15 years ago. You wouldn't have really noticed the arches were closed unless you were looking.

Walked out of Federation coffee when first made feel unwelcome with the buggy and then following a passive aggressive waitress encounter.

Went on down to Tooting for a curry

3. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

I really like what Squire & Partners have done with the building. It really lifts that stretch of road. Hopefully we'll see more of that standard of refurb.

Waladli and urbanspaceman like this.
  4. innit

innit c'mon, little life giver

Federation is a lot less welcoming under its new management ime, but then I almost always have a buggy with me.

Mr Retro and editor like this.
  5. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 10.22.44.jpg

Ol Nick and Gramsci like this.
  6. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Seen a few of those about this road digging season. Still spot the odd plastic Urban80 bus seat around although sadly not any Urban75s - it is strange that a temporary sign and a bus seat share the same nomenclature format

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

friendofdorothy and Gramsci like this.
  8. ash

ash Inittogether

The Stockwell park estate has almost gone. Glad to see the skateboard park is still hanging on.

Attached Files:

friendofdorothy and Gramsci like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I suspect it will come under immense pressure to stop being a 24 hour facility once the yups move in.

10. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Couldn't believe how busy Brixton was on a Monday night! We went to Calcutta Street for dinner with visitors at about 8.30, it was rammed.

The one thing that never seems to change in Brixton, despite the pretty awful bar renovation, the toilets in the Albert are still grim :) And the staff are lovely, welcoming and friendly

friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  11. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

It's how we know this is still reality. The day you go to the Albert and the loos are all sparkly & clean, that's when you know you're stuck in the Matrix & the machines have won...:eek:

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was in the Albert last night, and yes the bogs were grim.

By the way, I bloody hate that faux flickering neon sign outside Calcutta Street!

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Grim news from the Electric:

14. shakespearegirl

The food was a bit blahhh as well. Wish I'd walked down to Booma..

15. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Why would anyone eat in the albert?

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Because it offers reasonably cheap food with a pint.

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

18. shakespearegirl

I didn't - I ate at Calcutta..

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good to know where hipster food joint CHICKENliquor‏ stand on supporting local workers.
    Boycott the fuckers!

shygirl likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oooo-kay.

21. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I never suggested you did.

22. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Reasonably crap food...

....and yes I've eaten there. Comparable with the shite end of Wetherspoons, but costs more.

23. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Cos we need less bins and more beehives on our main thoroughfares.

24. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Ended up in argument with a geezer about picturehouse yesterday. He was fucking clueless about industrial action and the way unions work. He ended up offering me his membership card so I could get discounted viewings. Prat!

Gramsci likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think that's unfair: I was pleasantly surprised at the half decent quality of the food I had there. Not great but nowhere near crap either.

26. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

• Personal Attacks
    I note that a local listings website currently promotes events at the Ritzy.

27. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I had to Google Calcutta as didn't know where it was. I must have walked past it. I go to Brixton on Saturdays to chat in the off licence Ive used for years opposite Dogstar ( still run by same family)and in Bookmongers. Most of the street I try to not register, I think subconciously, as I walk by. I don't like what has happened to Brixton. I miss the Phoenix.

I do hope Loughborough Junction doesn't end up like Brixton. The guy in off licence said it will eventually.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The original Phoenix was wonderful and was a great place to meet people and get the local gossip. I had lunch in Barneys Cafe in Loughborough Junction this week and it reminded me of the old Phoenix, although I think it's inevitable that Loughborough Junction will change in the near future, sadly.

Gramsci likes this.
  29. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

This will have been posted way back I'm sure but that said stumbled upon it when looking for something else so thought I'd share for all those who haven't seen it before.

30. peterkro

peterkro Greasin' on American Express card.

God Wolmar is a cunt "left wing intellectuals" saved the houses, my arse.The Blues was at 29 not 27 dickhead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.