1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - October 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Oct 1, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
  2. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've told their door staff several times, and know others who have complained to the council but nothing has been done for months (see: the water leak at Carlton Mansions), hence the post. Local businesses aren't pleased with having the place look like a shithole either.

Sometimes I find a Buzz post gets more of a response but if the mess bothers you as well, maybe you should complain too. It all adds up eventually...

Gramsci likes this.
  4. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Thanks. I will.

editor likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Cheers. It pisses me off because they've only been here a short while and they're just treating the pavement as their garbage bin.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Seems Turtle Bay were at it too:

7. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Surely me and bimble commented on this in the Brixton thread when the recent "incidents" occurred?

The nub of the matter is that the police (from what they say in their evidence) don't accept that the premises are under proper control. It has been a principle of operating licenced venues since Victorian times that there is a licensee who is responsible for keeping order.

According to Wikipedia there was a Disorderly Houses Act of 1751, section 8 of which was: “And whereas, by reason of the many subtle and crafty contrivances of persons keeping bawdy-houses,... , or other disorderly houses, it is difficult to prove who is the real owner or keeper thereof, by which means many notorious offenders have escaped punishment any person who shall at any time hereafter appear, act, or behave him or herself as master or mistress, or as the person having the care, government, or management of any bawdy-house,... , or other disorderly house, shall be deemed and taken to be the keeper thereof, and shall be liable to be prosecuted and punished as such, notwithstanding he or she shall not in fact be the real owner or keeper thereof.[3] ”

Current licencing law preserves this principle (IMHO)

8. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

The press release did sound to jolly.

Boston was large remain vote. I've heard people from Boston on radio being interviewed about it. Remain vote was mainly about immigration. They now have a lot of East Europeans.

I also grew up in more rural town ( Plymouth) . My brother is there. Plymouth was Brexit. ( He wasn't). Same complaint- immigration.

The press release makes it sound all happy clappy.

When they were interviewing people in Boston what emerged was two versions of being British. In Boston it was that they ( the East Europeans) should learn "our ways".

It appeared in Boston that the indigenous English didn't mix with the East Europeans. Didn't use the East European shops. Which for indigenous Bostonian was sign these people didn't "integrate" .

I got the impression the type of British/ English values that they were supposed to integrate into were small c conservative.

Living in London I now have Polish friends. Use Polish shops sometimes. Learnt more about there history.

To be honest I know this twinning of Boston and Brixton is well meaning but the press release shows how watered down the result is.

Basically the average person in Brixton sees immigration and national identity in polar opposite way they are seen by majority in Boston. It's no good going to Boston and meeting the minority who don't have a problem with immigration.

As someone who comes from a smallish town ,to be frank , the last thing I want to do is go back to discuss multiculturalism with them.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    editor likes this.
  9. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Reading the Police report and it looks to me that the Police have done this reluctantly.

There is a long list of incidents in the report. Incidents reported to the Police by people subject to violence. Also times when the mge called Police when threatened with violence themselves for asking certain individuals or groups to leave premises.

It all adds up to situation where the management have over last year or so lost control of the premises to local gang members.

The incidents reported to police include use of gun to threaten someone.

The other thing police point out is that this is licensed as a community venue. A social club with members and soup kitchen. But in practice it's now operating like a night club. Without the controls regular night clubs have.

editor and CH1 like this.
  10. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

I can't recall which thread it was in but it turns out that I was largely right about the evictions in the yard behind Brady's (Wahaca).

TfL let the yard to the tenant (a Westminster councillor, I've been told) on the understanding that it was to be used for parking. He then sub let it to various traders, not only in breach of the agreement but seriously compromising fire safety (the huge column is a vent for the underground and emergency access is required to the yard at all times). TfL then evicted him for breach of the lease.

teuchter likes this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

14. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

It's the kind of story where some proper fact based reporting would identify the actual villian, who would appear to be that tenant.

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

16. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

A heads up for anyone that's a bit short of money. Or just simply fancies some cheap grub.
    Every Sunday when I go in to Boots they have reduced sandwiches.
    Just got this little lot. And fyi they still had a lot left.
    20171015_122316.jpg

17. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

I received a Lambeth Labour mailshot yesterday. In it, Candidate Emma Nye said, "The one Green councillor in Lambeth is also completely out of touch. He doesn't turn up to Council meetings and opposes more council housing in the borough. What is the point of Lambeth Greens ?"

Does anyone know whether these two accusations - concerning attendance and housing - are true ?

18. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Attendance looks pretty good - Attendance at full council meetings - a Freedom of Information request to Lambeth Borough Council

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Witnessed a fucking horrific assault on Effra Road late last night - two cunts attacking a guy with their belts while he lay on the ground. He was covered in blood. I called the cops as the assault began but it was hard to work out what going on at first as there was another two guys involved. Fuck, those belts can do some damage. :(

I hope the CCTV picks up the assailants.

20. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Neither are true.

Ainslie attends more meetings than some of his right-Labour peers, and the canard about council housing is a partisan view by Nye or whoever wrote her script, about Ainslie's opposition to Lambeth's desire to demolish 6 estates across the borough to make way for "mixed" developments which will see a minimal rise in housing for council-level rent*. If you're prepared to wade through the projected "social housing" gains for each of the six estates under "regeneration", you're talking about perhaps 200 homes over 10 years. Not a big contribution toward their political boast of building 1000 new homes for council level rent by 2019. So far, I believe that they've managed 7 (Akerman Rd).

*An important distinction. Lambeth Labour councillors use the term "council houses/homes" and "homes for council-level rent" interchangeably, but the former means a home with a secure council tenancy, whereas the latter means a home with a standard assured tenancy, with few to none of the rights of a secure tenancy, just with the rent pinned (for an undisclosed and un-discussed period) at the level of a similar securely-tenanted property.

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A friend posted this on FB. Thought others might like to ask the same questions if doorstepped by Labour types:

ViolentPanda likes this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Lost cat :(

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

ViolentPanda likes this.
  25. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

There’s a fucking mental yellowish tint to the sky and the natural light right now :cool:

26. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Really freaky!!

27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

friendofdorothy and T & P like this.
  28. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Smoke from Portuguese and Spanish fires and/or sand blowing up from Sahara by hurricanes apparently

friendofdorothy likes this.
  29. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

CH1 and editor like this.
  30. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I'll get the "Four Horses of the Apocalypse" JW leaflet and check what to do!

teuchter and T & P like this.