1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - October 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Oct 1, 2017.

1. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

"It was rather irritating that the noises off from the Saturday evening market on Windrush Square caused a sonic clash, but nevertheless the singers kept going and the audience I guess concentrated on what we had come to hear."

This is why Brixton needs a properly set up, acoustically appropriate, performance venue ;)

CH1 likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2017-10-09_151610.jpg

In these 'austerity' laden times, can anyone think of any reason why Lambeth should have all the lights on in the Town Hall at 9.30pm on a Sunday? There was no sign of any activity inside.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  4. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

Anyone know where my son can watch the Wales Ireland match in Brixton tonight?

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

shygirl likes this.
  6. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Of course they do have a "lecture theatre" in International House which is probably only used once a year!

7. shygirl

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Dogstar is a definite. Might pop down myself. Come on Wales!

9. shygirl

Thanks again. Great atmosphere in town last night and today, unfortunately I'm working this eve so can't go in. Will be watching it on S4C tho, go on Wales!!

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Shiny parent-luring video promo for the new Trinity Academy

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Please contribute says the tweet:

And what happens when you click on this link on the Lambeth site?

Take part in the consultation..

:facepalm:

Gramsci likes this.
  12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

editor I have extracted the pdf about hotels from that local plan website - since this has been a recent bone of contention.

The document is 19 pages long, but states that Lambeth as a whole has 5207 "serviced rooms" of various grades from "Budget" to 5 star (this being Marriott Waterloo - formerly known as County Hall).

The figures are broken down by ward but do not include the recent planning approval for the Superdrug Hotel in Dorrell Place.

Then there is the curious case of the London Hotel in Coldharbour (currently the subject of enforcement action because it has turned itself into something more akin to "beds in sheds") - which is not listed as a hotel or a hostel. It simply does not exist, despite allegedly having 38 rooms.

Air BnB is completely ignored - they probably have no way of getting any statistics.

Attached Files:

Gramsci, Casaubon and editor like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Wouldn't be that hard to get airbnb statistics... Just go on airbnb and count.

16. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

How useful would those stats actually be? Lots of listings seem to have very limited availability.

17. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I'd maybe choose a few random dates, see how many rooms are available for each and take an average.
    I reckon you could get an idea whether the number of airbnb beds generally available in Lambeth were in the order of 10s, 100s or 1000s at least.

CH1 likes this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I really don't get the point of this jolly. or am I missing some obvious point?

19. ash

ash Inittogether

One word: Brexit

Maybe I'm stating the obvious (and you know the link but don't understand the visit) if so I apologise but:

Brixton (or more precisely Lambeth) largest remain vote
    Boston largest leave vote

Gramsci likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yes, I know that - it's written in the press release that I posted up. But I don't get the point of trying to link Brixton with Boston. I mean, it sounds like they all had a jolly nice time, but now what?

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

22. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

Cos they’re a bunch of money wasting cunts?

Casaubon and editor like this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Imagine if Lambeth were as proactive in protecting important community assets like this:

Council buys land to stop developers wrecking Cardiff's live music

Yeah, well I can dream.

24. sparkybird

sparkybird ask the bird...

Hey, I used to go there when I was... well about a million years younger!
    Fond memories (what I can remember). Good to see Cardiff Council doing something +ve

editor likes this.
  25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm not sure if I'm going to like it when it's all gentrified up, but the reopening has been put back:

26. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Interesting tweet from Lambeth Democracy.
    Googling Janet Boateng brings up some negative stuff - despite her being a former chair of Lambeth Social Services

27. Gleena

Gleena Active Member

The police letterboxed us about a rape on Broughton Drive in the Moorlands estate. Guy was apparently on a Deliveroo scooter in Deliveroo gear. Not too far from mine so that's concerning. Be careful out there.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Fuck, that's terrible.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So, inevitably, the Domino Club (aka Brixton Sports & Social Club) is having a licence review.

2017-10-12_142759.jpg

https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/brl-redacted -app form - Club940.pdf

They're not keen on helping the cops in the venue:
    At least Lambeth understand that if they tried to close the place down it would kick off big style.

Gramsci likes this.