1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - October 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Oct 1, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

2017-10-05_172118.jpg

Here's all that's left of the community art wall on Station Road.

4. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

The Station Rd art wall looks a lot better now they've cleared away the pavement clutter. Initially, I assumed they were removing the pictures too.

Suspect the Craft Beer Co is a bit gutted to have lost the artificial extension to its outside seating area though!

5. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Looks like the railway bridge on Coldharbour Lane by the Dogstar was hit again by a tall vehicle. Anyone see what happened?

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Rum Kitchen are continuing to take the piss by dumping their rubbish so it blocks Coldharbour Lane every night. It's not like they even make an effort to tidy it up and make sure pedestrians can pass by.

2017-10-06_033046.jpg

8. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen this Home (Lambeth fireworks)

52.75 for a family ticket in the “premier viewing” area.

Alex

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This might be of interest

11. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

There's some posts on the fireworks thread. From their social media profile I don't think anyone's really aware of the pre-selling of tickets and increase in price as it gets closer to the night. Their website did originally say that there'd be no on the night ticket sales.

I think that might change: Lambeth Fireworks

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I get the feeling they're struggling a bit.

13. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I’m still none the wiser as to what purpose those bicycle signs painted on a number of our roads could possibly serve.

Gramsci likes this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

shygirl and ebonics like this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No Photoshopping there, no sir. Totally natural.

ViolentPanda likes this.
  17. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Wistfully note that Linda Bellos has been no platformed at Cambridge University over the transgender issue.

I remember Linda and a small troupe of militant lesbians planting a sapling in Brockwell Park to commemorate the life of Justin Fashanu on the anniversary of Justin's unfortunate death.

I've several times visited the area of Brockwell Park where the planting took place, but no sign of a plaque in front of a tree.

Maybe the planting itself was ephemeral - like the life of Justin Fashanu, the first £1 million pound football player who came out as gay and almost inevitably disintegrated in an aftermath of unfulfilled expectations.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Walked 200m down Coldharbour Lane and already seen two twats puking up.

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

20. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

Love how their map of the park includes Cressingham Gardens estate, the cunts!

friendofdorothy likes this.
  21. ViolentPanda

It smells like they're going to have a clusterfuck of the same size as the last time they charged. Wonder if they've made any provision to NOT block the fuck out of Dulwich and Norwood Roads post-event? Probably not.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  22. ViolentPanda

When I first read that, I thought "why not go to the Brockwell Cafe? Cheaper than the Lido, and (IMO) better views"!

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm absolutely devastated about the death of Leigh Vaughan, who worked at the Dogstar for many years (and briefly at the Effra Social). He was one of the kindest, smartest, funniest people I've ever known. RIP Leigh.

leigh-1.jpg

24. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

Where's all the lovely wooden plant boxes/pots?

25. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

I saw various posts online earlier and am gutted. He was an absolute gem of a person :(

editor likes this.
  26. shygirl

shygirl Well-Known Member

The slightly chubby Algerian guy who worked for Michael for years has his own place just off Streatham Hill. He's been cutting my son's hair for 22 years, not that he has much left now. I'll ask my son for his details.

CH1 likes this.
  27. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Pegasus Opera also did a presentation at the Brixton Library on Saturday, which I attended. Lucky for me as I missed the "proper" thing.

It was rather irritating that the noises off from the Saturday evening market on Windrush Square caused a sonic clash, but nevertheless the singers kept going and the audience I guess concentrated on what we had come to hear.

Is this another case of Lambeth Council schizophrenia - provide a venue for BME cultural outreach in the Tate library on the one hand and take the cash from the marketeers making a disturbing racket on the other? Councillor Sonia Winifred was there - I hope she will enquire.

The range of work Pegasus does is impressive - running a community choir session on a Monday as well as the educational work highlighting operatic works by unknown or seldom played minority composers as well as show-casing operatic standards in more culturally specific casting.

I hope they are able to develop. The death of their founder Lloyd Newton last January was obviously a major blow, but the remaining nucleus look determined to continue their work. Even in the spartan surroundings of the Brixton Library reference section the power of these fine voices singing live brought the audience to their feet.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He was just 27. It's really knocked me for six.

29. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

So young. :( I'm sorry.

30. Maharani

Maharani Just like Heaven

What happened. So young.