1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - November 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So the strip opposite the Barrier Block tonight had:

1. Kaya coffee bar - now with live music and charging £10 a head.
    2. The Yard - bar
    3. Shrub & Shutter

So that's three new (and pricey) units out of five in a row all serving booze on a small stretch. None were here five years ago.

Gramsci likes this.
  3. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I want to know what this new daytime parking on the grass policy is at the Somerleyton Road end of the Barrier Block.
    Is this workers working on estate regeneration or repairs, aggrieved tenants locked out of the undercroft or commuters taking a chance?

4. technical

technical stripey

There's a new bar at the bottom of Tulse Hill near the Sainsburys. The Sympathetic Ear - looks very much a bar, rather than a pub but looks like its got plenty of decent beer on offer.

Seems to have appeared very quickly - and can't quite work out what was there before?

5. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It's owned & run by two local brewers.

innit likes this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'm still trying to work out how Kaya can get away with charging £10 to watch a jazz band play without lighting, a proper stage or a decent sound system in the back of a cafe that lacks any kind of cost gig atmosphere. Mind you, there was barely anyone there - why spend £10 when you can great live jazz at the Effra Hall Tavern or the Prince of Wales for free?

7. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

is that live jazz without alcohol? well rad

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They've got a booze licence there now. Trendy booze dispensers are rapidly becoming the norm for this strip of shops.

Gramsci likes this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

Pink sky

Gramsci and editor like this.
  11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Ooh it is. I'm going to take some pics!

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I went to meet someone in Costa which has just reopened after a makeover and it's horrible with REALLY bright lights and a really awkward interior redesign. It's really badly done and the lighting is so intrusive that it's not a comfortable or relaxing place to stay. The only good part is that they've opened up the window display space facing Brixton Road (quite why they covered that over in the first place is anyone's guess). They've done a poor job of using that space though as the display is underwhelming.

14. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

When I moved next door soon after the turn of the millennium it was a wonderful pub where you could get a decent pint and chat with whoever was at the bar. The Grand Union was terrible both in terms of being a pub I wanted to go to and as a neighbour. I was hugely surprised when my brother told me that to the admin staff in his office who lived in Croydon it was their weekend destination of choice.

Gramsci likes this.
  15. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Gramsci Twattor Not one to brag but I got sacked from there in 1979.
    I recall a couple of things about my two days behind the bar:

when a bunch of student types came in ordering "Black Russian" (a type of cocktail, which had to be made up on the spot.
    The landlord called me over after I'd served the round and said - "Tell 'em it's not a fucking cocktail bar next time!"
    The landlord was a rather bullying Scot - and allegedly a bit-part actor on the BBC.

I also recall a fight breaking out in the public bar. The landlady was running around shouting "get the glasses" - which I suppose was a good idea in retrospect, though I thought at the time it was bizarre protecting property rather than stopping the fight.

I got sacked because they reckoned the till was £5.00 short - and I refused to be "fined" £1.67 for the shortage (there were three staff on duty).

I think the only time I went back was in the mid 1990s when the Lib Dem council group an "Away Day" in the upstairs room - which was palatial.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

17. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Is this the one underneath the railway bridge? I guess it must be as I can't think of any others...

18. northeast

northeast Member

Yeah popped in today, it's terrible. Why the hell is the window blocked up. Don't want to sit in a cafe to drink coffee. So now we have Starbucks, Costa and soon to arrive Pret within 50m of each other.

19. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

Random Brixton spots this weekend - Alexi Sayle and Robert Peston and then Chuck D at the chip shop place (plus skinnyman I think).

stockwelljonny likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

For some reason there always seems to be aspiring actors in San Marino these days.

22. ricbake

ricbake working out how

More pink sky from yesterday

Pink Sky.jpg

23. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

24. Twattor

Do Craft leave their tables out all of the time? If so, then I don't see how Lambeth can differentiate between the two kinds of obstruction. Would Craft need a licence to use the space? If so, then there may be a commercial reason behind Lambeth removing the Small World Urbanism stuff.

25. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I think that any pavement license would require you to leave a portion of the pavement clear for what it's supposed to be for.

If the SWU stuff was removed on the basis that it was a pavement obstruction then the craft beer stuff shouldn't be there either. Report it as a pavement obstruction:

neighbourhoods@lambeth.gov.uk

I did this recently for a hoarding in LJ and was surprised to find that I got a response and action of sorts.

friendofdorothy and twistedAM like this.
  26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

No, they're not out there overnight, but that's not the point: if having anything on that pavement constitutes an obstruction then it should be kept clear at all times.

27. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Twattor likes this.
  28. Twattor

I wonder whether they have submitted an application? Nothing showing on the licensing database but it doesn't look like it covers tables and chairs.

Presumably they must already have one for the tables and chairs out the front. If they have put in a new application, I wonder when it was done in relation to Small World Urbanism being given the boot.

If it is £1,000pa into the Lambeth coffers against the £0pa from the Small World Urbanists plus the ever present risk of litigation from people who might get a splinter, then it is easy to see why they got the chop.

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why do you make up such ridiculous shit?

30. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Waladli and bimble like this.