1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - November 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Don't feed the trolls

Gramsci likes this.
  2. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Me and the grlf have been referred to as 'characters'. How do I feel about it? well its better better than the previous 'fucking dykes'.

3. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Well spotted.:thumbs: Your question is good one. Something for Tricky Skills ?

Reading the minutes and I'm none the wiser.

Tricky Skills likes this.
  4. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Me too. It always confuses me a little but I mostly I like it.

friendofdorothy and Gramsci like this.
  5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

News of former councillor:

Charlie Elphicke was a Tory councillor for Gipsy Hill ward 1994-98

Don't know what he had done now - but he is a right pain in the ass pontificating his neo-Fascist Brexit views on Newsnight etc.

lang rabbie and Gramsci like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Heartbreaking seeing the shrine on Effra Road tonight for the motorcyclist who lost his life.

7. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Let's just hope people don't grieve for so long that the items they lay down in memorial become 'litter'....

alcopop likes this.
  8. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Beef doesn't come much classier than that.

9. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Go fuck yourself.

editor and Rushy like this.
  10. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

There is more about Mr Lovelace, who was killed a week ago:

here

and

here.

11. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

There has recently been a change to the road lane markings in the vicinity of the accident to either include or extend a bus lane. I know it confused a few people who use it regularly to begin with. I can't drive at the moment so the first I heard of the changes was one of my neighbours complaining that the road had become one way (it hadn't). I have not heard any reports about how the accident happened but can't help wondering whether this was a contributing factor.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  12. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

They’ve closed the gates to Brockwell Park early due to fireworks

13. shakespearegirl

Security saying only one gate open but they don’t seem to know where it is

14. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I look forward to the ticket sales figures for this year...

15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Their 'premier viewing' tickets have sold out but there's tickets on the gate. I'm going along so will report back.

16. shakespearegirl

We had to squeeze out through a gap in the railings as all the gates on the Tulse hill side were locked - I was there at 4.10. Security were being helpful and eventually were taking us to the vehicle entrance to let us out when someone from cressingham showed us where the gap was. There were still loads of people in the park at this stage.

alcopop, friendofdorothy and Gramsci like this.
  17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's such a shame that what used be a real community highlight no longer exists. I miss the days when just about everyone I know hotfooted it up to Brockwell Park for the fireworks.

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

File under: what will they think of next:

19. shakespearegirl

It, along with the LCF were the best things the council did!

Gramsci likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Quick report:

2017-11-04_224348.jpg

It wasn't a bad firework display to be fair. There was a lot of food vendors on site but the queues were still huge. There was more loos than I've ever seen for an event this size and putting on a live band was a smart move - instead of the usual mass stampede after the fireworks, loads of people stayed behind.

I'm not a fan of music thundering out when fireworks are going on but they seemed to cock up the ending when the display hit its finale and the music was still going on, leading people to think more fireworks were coming.

21. shakespearegirl

They are clearing the infrastructure our really quickly, mainly gone by 1130 this morning

22. Fireworks was a great show, good fun with the movie themes and the display really synced with the music which I find often isn't the case with these things. Well organised event and having some music before/after was a nice touch, good band!

Seemed about the right number of people for atmosphere but not mobbed, food q's did look long but I guess its hard with the compressed length of an event like this and everyone wanting food at the same time, bars and toilets not too busy.

alcopop and friendofdorothy like this.
  23. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

This is because The People's Audit and Cllr Ainslie asked questions about Cllr Dickson's neutrality re: who Four Communications has worked with. They sit on the side of the fence that pays the most, as most companies do.

CH1 likes this.
  24. ViolentPanda

Especially Pere Lachaise.

25. ViolentPanda

After you gave me the lovely gift of cider during the Country Show in 2016, my compatriot referred to you as "the lovely lady in the hat". A fiver for the server fund, if you can correctly guess the reply I made! :)

26. ViolentPanda

It was Water Lane. Cressingham Gardens saw some VERY irate ticket-holders who expected to be able to access the park at the Cressingham entrance, but who had to tramp down to Water Lane instead. Lambeth Council managed to upset several thousand people in less than an hour. :facepalm:

27. ViolentPanda

We're classy like that. ;)

28. ViolentPanda

We had a bit of a community event on Cressingham, with about 100 people watching the display for free from the mounds at the back of the estate. :cool:

Security bloke in the park: "You can't watch the fireworks without paying".

Community: "oh yes we can!". :D

gaijingirl, twistedAM, Eggby and 8 others like this.
  29. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

I just gave my 10 votes to BCB. To do so, you need to register, and the easiest way to do that by using the Facebook link Aviva provides. I really encourage you all to vote for BCB. Not many neighbourhoods have the good fortune to benefit from such a valuable community resource. And BCB has been an organic part of the community for years. It is well-used by all sorts of groups. It's not one of those hollow, imposed-from-above facilities that nobody uses.

I'm reporting this message from my neighbour Jane, concerning Brixton Community Base, on Talma Road.

Brixton Community Base and Aviva Fund

Hello! We are requesting funding from the Aviva Community Fund to support our development as a local and much-needed (and loved!) community venue. As you may be aware many community spaces and venues are closing due to significant funding cuts and we need your help to ensure that we can not only survive but become one of Brixton’s best community venues. As you may know there are lots of changes taking place in Brixton. Some are good, some not so good. On the positive side the area is attracting lots of creative people who are investing their time and experiences into the area. On the less positive side we are one of the local organisations who are experiencing difficulty in keeping our lovely venue open and active for current and future generations. Having a well-resourced and effective community centre is critical for Brixton's long term social cohesion. Residents, who use BCB, have informed us that it is becoming increasing difficult to access community spaces. BCB’s affordable community centre allows residents, local groups, support services, and families to access community-focused provision and hold events in a safe, friendly environment. Organisations benefit from the availability of competitively priced rehearsal rooms whilst community projects run by the centre focus on engaging adults, seniors and young people in meaningful activities and positive interactions with appropriate adults. Outreach projects run by BCB teams share the organisation’s expertise with the wider community. We run a variety of clubs including Tai Chi, yoga, creative writing and oral history for seniors, dance, children’s events, panto and art. We also provide on-going support for health and wellbeing groups who access our building at a reduced rate. On a weekly basis, we have over 500 people using the building and need to ensure that our support is on-going. BCB is currently run by a wonderful Board of Trustees and supported by local volunteers when we host events. Whilst everyone does what they can we do not have the necessary workforce or skills to take us to the next level of our development. We are applying to Aviva for funding to employ a marketing and social media worker (one day per week) who will help us promote ourselves both locally and to a wider audience, increase our offer to our community and ensure our sustainability for future years. The new worker will help us create a marketing and social media strategy that will focus on our current and future offer to both existing and new groups/audiences. We envisage that this employment will impact hugely on our future so please do vote for us. We are local, friendly and absolutely committed to our work to support anyone who comes through our doors. We need at least 1,000 votes to be considered for the next stage so please do give us your 10 votes and pass onto your networks, colleagues, friends, family etc. Voting closes on 21 November. Link to the voting website is here, Brixton Community Base Marketing Development - vote for us now in the Aviva Community Fund Thank you so much for considering us and please do give us your vote. Jane Duncan Ribeiro BCB Administrator

Brixton Community Base Marketing Development - vote for us now in the Aviva Community Fund
    Brixton Community Base provides a safe, happy environment for people to meet, learn new skills, share experiences and support each other. We are proud to be known for listening to our visitors, responding to need and providing a space for all members of the community to come together.

COMMUNITY-FUND.AVIVA.CO.UK

innit likes this.
  30. phillm

phillm Trolling through Life (TM)

editor likes this.