1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - November 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I was talking to Spam. Not you. Go on take it up with person who posted it up if you are so upset about it.

I thought Nankers post was top post. If you want my opinion.

editor likes this.
  2. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

I have ed blocked so dont read his posts and am therefore not going after him

3. ViolentPanda

ViolentPanda Hardly getting over it.

(looks for ancient bad offline review) :hmm:

Gramsci likes this.
  4. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

I thought October brixton thread was just getting good when we reached the point of whether or not capitalism was “part of nature”. The coming of November is always annoying but this one is worse than usual.

editor likes this.
  5. SpamMisery

I confess I didn't really follow that line of argument :confused:

6. bimble

That’s cos you’re a lightweight. You ‘dipped out’ when it got deep.

ViolentPanda, SpamMisery and editor like this.
  7. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I don't buy that.

Your profile has old comment of mine on it.

"He knows what he is doing. He is far from stupid. His posts are deliberate windups."

Still holds true.

editor likes this.
  8. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

What is your view on this question?

9. bimble

Capitalism is as much a part of nature as sitting down to pee. So, yes.

editor and teuchter like this.
  10. teuchter

Is urban75 part of nature?

bimble likes this.
  11. bimble

better than mosquitoes, arguably.

editor likes this.
  12. ash

ash Inittogether

Have you met him? I can't think of another way to describe him after over a decade of knowing him - maybe a Brixton personality ?? Or the face of the reliance arcade !! He's a decent fella who is a true craftsman and has been around for decades and is part of the fabric of Brixton. One definition of a character is ' a person, especially when you are describing a particular quality that they have' ...

Gramsci, editor and xsunnysuex like this.
  13. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

Is it possible to block him but still see threads that he started?

14. SpamMisery

If you press "show ignored content". The posts are reblocked when you enter the thread

15. alcopop

Brilliant. Cheers

16. teuchter

You've just given several ways to describe him, all of which are more meaningful than calling him a "character", which to me is a way of saying someone is a bit of an oddball or a bit crazy, whilst dodging actually saying so. I think most people would probably rather that others didn't refer to them behind their backs as "a bit of a character" because it would suggest people didn't take them very seriously.

17. alcopop

Attached Files:

18. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I went to the relaunch of the Hope & Anchor (ex Grand Union) on Acre Lane last night. I forgot how big the place was - two floors with a massive covered garden. I'll post photos later.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Gramsci likes this.
  22. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Frankly, the council should be clearing the site as often as needed. 22 bloody months after his death, perhaps it's high time people stopped leaving "tributes" there.

Waladli, friendofdorothy and alcopop like this.
  23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Then you've got your way. Flowers don't last the day, neither do individual hand made items but - by contrast - there's still a fucking huge mountain of shit to navigate around Rum Kitchen every day/night.

Not sure it's up to you when people should decide when to stop travelling to the site to leave a tribute. Personally I liked seeing some of the weird and wonderful stuff left behind.

Gramsci likes this.
  24. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

The agenda for the next Lambeth Council cabinet meeting is now out.

I was rather intrigued by this statement (item 1 of the previous meeting's minutes)

"The Cabinet Member for Healthier and Stronger Communities (job-share), Councillor Jim Dickson, declared that his company (Four Communications) had worked with Port of London Authority which had submitted a response to the consultation for the proposed Lambeth Development Viability Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) to be considered at agenda item six. He would therefore remove himself from the committee during the consideration of this item. Councillor Dickson was also a non voting member of the committee."

Viability assessments are of course the current curse whereby developers demonstrate to the council planning department how they cannot build a development if they are forced to provide social housing.

Would be interested to know which side of the fence Councillor Dickson's firm sits on.

Gramsci likes this.
  25. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

Its only T&P's opinion.

26. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Bowie does tend to divide people. I've noticed this.

twistedAM likes this.
  27. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

There is an element of that, yes. I have never been one for leaving tributes either at the scene of a death or at a monument or 'shrine', much less so for someone who died nearly two years ago, and who at the end of the day was a talented and inspirational musician but one with a few well dodgy views. Then again, I would still find it really fucking odd if the deceased in question had been the greatest person who ever lived.

28. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I'd steer clear of Paris Cemeteries if I were you....

shakespearegirl likes this.
  29. alcopop

At the end of the day garbage blocking the pavement is garbage blocking the pavement.

Waladli likes this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

But the stuff by the Bowie memorial wasn't blocking the pavement. It's on a wide, pedestrianised zone and the stuff there was nowhere as intrusive as Rum Kitchen's daily deposits of rubbish.

twistedAM and Angellic like this.