1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - November 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 1, 2017.

1. trabuquera

trabuquera Modesty Bag

Happy to report completely mixed experience: he rescued a much loved handbag with an ingenious, cheap and durable repair, then ruined a much loved pair of shoes with a complete bodge-up of a resoling job which left them leakier and uglier than they were before. So ... ymmv. Overall I think he's a Good Thing.

innit and bimble like this.
  2. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

You reposted it! I hadn't even seen it until you reposted the link above.

It was literally you who went out of your way to find an old article from two years ago.

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I reposted a link to the article which was positive about his work- NOT the full text of the one person slagging him off. :facepalm::rolleyes:

4. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

And I was replying to a question from teuchter asking about bad reviews of him.

Judging by other people's experiences it does seem that his work is rather hit and miss though.

Waladli likes this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh well. Well done.

6. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

He made a bag strap out of a belt. That is some hipster shit right there. Renovating vintage clothes and accessories.

Ahead of his time. That customer just wasn't ready for the new reality.

Jay is the bridge taking us to the new world.

He'll be making leather jackets out of discarded Dr Martens before you know it.

"I just wanted my boots fixed"

"fuck you, you have a new jacket.....fucking ingrate....get outta my shop.....you'll wanna fucking beard trim next.....go, get out, never darken my vision for the new reality again"

innit, fishfinger, sealion and 3 others like this.
  7. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Yes I second that. He does an excellent job at a very reasonable price. And he's a very friendly man too in my opinion.
    I don't know of other place I could get my shoes heeled for £5. He was closed for a fair while due to an operation on his spine. I was really worried he wouldn't come back.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Anyone else want to dig up old negative reviews of long-term independent Brixton businesses because that's apparently the thing here now? Let's put the boot in!

:facepalm::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gramsci likes this.
  9. ash

ash Inittogether

Snap - he's saved many of my boots over the years one pair felt like Triggers broom in fools and horses- soles , heels and zips replaced several times over. He's a great Brixton character but does tell me off for letting the heels get so bad!! I was also glad to see him back

Gramsci, editor and Nanker Phelge like this.
  10. Lambeth Boy

Lambeth Boy Member

When Brixton changes for good ( not if but unfortunately when ! ) people will talk about the lost Characters we had so make most while they’re still in business before Lambeth / Network Rail helped by Brixton BID get their way i.e an open air Westfield !!

Gramsci likes this.
  11. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

Never used Jay's services (have been going to the cobblers near the junction in camberwell who are also really good and also £5 for new soles) but next time the trusty boots need a fix will be asking him instead.
    Glad to see how many of you are re-soulers, there must be a massive pressure on due to throwaway cheap shoes and the rise of the dreaded trainer.

friendofdorothy and ash like this.
  12. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Referring to people as "characters" always makes me cringe; it's a patronising-middle-class type thing to say and indicates that these businesses/people are valued on an aesthetic basis rather than because they provide a useful service.

To be clear though, I'd certainly agree that it would be hugely to Brixton's detriment if reliance arcade were lost to mainstream development.

Waladli, alcopop and bimble like this.
  13. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

The reverse is the case. It's patronising middle class thing to see that working class people dont have an aesthetic sense.

There are working class people I work with who miss these shops with "characters". Who don't like the way central London is pushing these "characters" out.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  14. bimble

bimble uber-hippy twonk peanut

Is it ok that I think of teuchter as a Local Character ?

Ol Nick likes this.
  15. Gramsci

The Brixton Buzz article you posted up has four comments. Three positive and one negative. So if we are to take this as representative sample three quarters are positive. So how is his work hit or miss?

16. Gramsci

Actually given what has been happening on these boards recently. No. I've lost my sense of humour. I'm pissed off with Brixton forum. I feel been here for years and this isn't funny.

17. teuchter

It would simply be nuts to say that "working class people don't have an aesthetic sense".

18. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

That's not the reverse. Is just a totally unrelated statement which also uses the word aesthetic.

Khmer, Winot and Mr Retro like this.
  19. Gramsci

What I'm saying as someone who actually does a working class job and spend most of my time with the working class people your post is more than annoying.

It's not patronising to support "characters". Nor is it middle class.

20. shifting gears

shifting gears Well-Known Member

Oh my

21. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

A 25% rate of failure is hit and miss in my book. In fact, I wouldnt use a cobbler with those odds. You'd get better results if you used pos/neg from the U75 thread

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Waladli likes this.
  22. teuchter

As someone who spends much of my time with the middle class people - I hear people talking about "characters" in a way that makes me cringe and which I find patronising. That's my opinion.

What would you feel like if people described you as a "character"? Maybe you'd be ok with it, I don't know.

And I didn't say it was "patronising to support 'characters'". I said I thought it was patronising to refer to people as 'characters'.

23. Gramsci

Jesus FFS. Regular poster puts up positive comment about longstanding local business. Ed posts up old article about said longstanding local business and it ends up starting November like October ended.

Truly nauseating.

24. SpamMisery

Ignoring, of course, the fact the first few post before that were people continuing the October beef.

25. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

Ya because with a 25% hit rate if you bring in 2 pairs of shoes then 1 shoe will get fucked up. This means that a pair of shoes is fucked. You can always put the non fucked shoe aside in case you break your leg and have to go in crutches but that’s no real comfort.

26. teuchter

The past few months the Brixton thread has been pretty boring tbh - the same very small number of people posting the majority of the material and agreeing with each other. And largely just links to another website.

friendofdorothy likes this.
  27. Gramsci

If you've a problem with the first posts on this thread quote the posts and take issue with them.

28. SpamMisery

I dont have a problem with them particularly. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But intentional misdirection is just not cricket. You claimed that the discussions on Jay the cobbler allowed for the continuation of last months argument. Not true; the posts before Jay was introduced were already a continuation.

29. teuchter

This one was clearly a provocation:

- implying for example that people had been calling for people's rent to be increased, or that people wanted to get rid of existing businesses.
    Neither of which things had been said.

30. Gramsci

Wrong. You and some posters got going after Ed put up link to his article on the cobbler.

I never used the word continuation.