1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - November 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Nov 1, 2017.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

After the full on fisticuffs of the tempestuous October thread, let's hope things calm down with November thread.

Maharani likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Here's something spicy to get the month off. This was posted on FB by Brixton Splash:

Brixton Splash

So Lambeth Council is bidding for 'London's Borough of Culture'. After getting rid of Brixton's biggest cultural event we're baffled. But it does now shed some light on the reason behind that beautiful 20ft portrait of local rasta Michael Johns on Pope's Road, which had left us scratching our head. We've taken a look at the official website for Lambeth's bid (Home - OurLambeth) and couldn't help but notice that the photographs on it are predominantly of people from the black community (like the one below), the very same community who argue that they are being systematically pushed out and their cultural heritage decimated by Lambeth Council and its gentrification process. It poses the question, why does Lambeth Council use black people and culture to promote its culture bid when we are all very much aware that that said culture is a now only apparent in tokenism form?

It appears black people, image and culture is great for others to capitalise on, whether it be in their funding bids littered with black images or as facades for 'urban' or ' Caribbean' eateries owned by people from other ethnicities. Whilst at the same time these very same people are trampled over, pushed out, and to put it bluntly continue to be racially discriminated against in every way. 'We like your look and your culture but we don't like you' is essentially what the new Brixton says. For those of you raising an eyebrow, have you read Theresa May's Disparity Report or the Lammy Review?

The council is using #OurLambeth as a way to promote their funding bid. Perhaps some of the local community should use that hashtag to say what #OurLambeth really means to/for them.

3. Cpatain Rbubish

Cpatain Rbubish Only available on conscription

Well said.

sealion likes this.
  4. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Is the November thread going to be the 'new reality'?

sealion and Gramsci like this.
  5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Entrepreneurs Norman Tebbit Edition.

Gramsci likes this.
  6. Tropi

Tropi Well-Known Member

7. friendofdorothy

friendofdorothy it is so much worse than Thatcherism now

Big shout out for the lovely man in the shoe repair, heel bar & keycutting place in Reliance Arcade. I'd been to two places that couldn't resole my fave comf shoes, but he could!

innit, Gramsci, gaijingirl and 3 others like this.
  8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Tropi, Gramsci, bimble and 3 others like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

innit, twistedAM and Gramsci like this.
  10. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Tropi, innit, Pickman's model and 6 others like this.
  11. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Are tenancy visits the regular thing these days? Just got home to a letter through the door saying someone had been for a tenancy visit. Had one this time last year too.
    Actually no, just checked and it was two years ago.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  12. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

As I understand, tenancy audits should be done every 1-2 years, though reality is that doesn't always happen .

13. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I think the whole concept is wrong. Looking at the Mayor's website.

Mayor launches search for first ever London Borough of Culture

Making different boroughs compete with each other over culture. Yes the Mayor should support culture in London. Turning it into a competition between different boroughs is not bringing communities together. It's making them compete.

Which imo contradicts what the Mayor's press release says.

"Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London, said: “Culture is the DNA of our city. It has the power to transform communities and to bring people closer together. Now, more than ever, there is a pressing need to reach out to our neighbours and celebrate London’s unique and diverse culture. London Borough of Culture is a great way to do just that whilst showing the world that our cultural gems extend way beyond the centre of the capital to all corners of the city."

A competition is the wrong way to do it. Channeling funding through local Councils is also wrong. People don't trust Councils to support culture. See gym libraries for example. A cultural idea foisted on the community with no consultation.

What Sadiq could do is to try to make culture more affordable. I heard complaints that it's not. A lot of culture is only accessible for the well off now. Lambeth has plenty of culture without any Lambeth council input. I really don't see why the desk jockeys in Lambeth should get grant to give out to groups who will be obliged to be grateful. Winning the competition would give the Council more power not the community.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  14. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

I think London is amazing in some aspects for providing culture for cheap or free. Museums being the main example.

Other areas are very expensive but always have been. Opera and ballet for example.

What aspects do you think have become only accessible to the well off now? If you regard sport as culture (and I do) the major sporting fixtures are ruinously expensive now.

15. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

I had someone sniffing around last Friday who we ignored but then put a note through the door asking us to let the council know who lives at the property, if not there was a faint threat of fines.

Whats all that about? Considering its not a council property what fucking business is it of theirs?

16. shakespearegirl

shakespearegirl just worked out taglines

Council Tax checks?

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

In Brixton? Cinema. The Ritzy charges are now thoroughly unaffordable to many locals.

Gramsci likes this.
  18. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Do you think it might be canvassers from the electoral registration office?

I saw one about in Colharbour Lane the other day. Electoral registration stuff also has legal sanctions fwicr.

19. colacubes

colacubes Well-Known Member

Yeah probably this. They were doing the rounds in my street in West Norwood earlier this week.

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He's a vital addition to Brixton but one rent rise and he'll be gone forever. Unless he follows the advice of some posters here and simply totally reinvents as a completely different business entity.

Tropi and Gramsci like this.
  21. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I was in there the other day and someone came in and asked him for a beard trim. He explained that he didn't do beard trimming, and the fellow just left.

He lost a customer because he wouldn't trim his beard. How much effort would it have taken for a cobbler to offer the occasional beard trim? No effort. It's lazy to ignore a customer's needs like that.

That old cobbler needs to adapt to the new reality. There's a lot of beards about these days and they need trimming.

Beard trimming is a good way to make money to pay rent.

Opportunity wasted.

I also think Funeral Directors should be less stuffy and get into Midwifery. Make money at both ends.

These people can't expect to survive the capitalist crush if they don't multi skill.

It's the new reality. Get with it, kids.

Tropi, sealion, Gramsci and 6 others like this.
  22. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Wasn't there a thread on here a while ago where a few regular posters said that repairs they'd had done at that place were expensive and didn't last?

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And just to reiterate: the guy is a true craftsman. he can create a pair of shoes from scratch. He did a wonderful job repairing a pair of shoes that had been deemed totally unrepairable. I hope he stays there until he chooses to retire as he's been of great service to the area.

Gramsci likes this.
  24. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

This review was on Brixton buzz. Maybe he had a bad day?

[​IMG]Michelle on October 24, 2015 at 12:07 pm

THE WORST EXPERIENCE AND THE RUDEST VERBAL ASSAULT. This is the worst shoe repair in London. I have been going to this guy for 10 years and he has always been bad tempered and rude but the store was convenient so I kept returning. Over the past year, his attitude has worsened, along with his shoddy key cutting (keys that don’t work and then he refuses to replace) and leather repairs (shoe heel leather that falls off and he refuses to replace), culminating today in what I can only describe as verbal assault. After paying £15 for straps to be replaced on my leather bag, only to find he’d used a belt and left the belt holes on the leather bag straps, he then verbally abused me in the shop, told me to f**k off and refused to refund my money after admitting that he lied to me about explaining the repair. Really, the most upsetting experience and the worst repair, and now I’m left with a bag I can’t use and £15 out of pocket. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. There is another shoe repair guy at the end of Reliance Arcade – I will be trying him next and urging all people to boycott this business.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Why go out of your way to dish the dirt on this guy by reposting a negative review from elsewhere from two years ago?

There's plenty of people - including myself - who have been very pleased with his work.

26. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

I heard The Old Post Office Bakery was teaming up with West Norwood Crematorium to reduce costs for both parties, they are also able to supply fresh hot food straight after the cremation, win win ;)

Tropi, Gramsci, oryx and 4 others like this.
  27. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's the spirit. It's all about loving the entrepreneurs these days. There's no excuse to be unemployed when you can entrepreneurify!

organicpanda likes this.
  28. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

I haven't used him but that was my impression of his services based on the comments made on here a while back.

29. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

30. organicpanda

organicpanda cat herder extraodinaire

I have used to get keys cut and never had to take them back because they didn't work and mrs panda has been able to keep boots going for the last 4 years that others told her were beyond repair

friendofdorothy, Gramsci and editor like this.