Brixton news, rumours and general chat - May 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 1, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I know that black woman with the big voice who sings outside the tube can sing very well indeed, but recently she's become painful to listen to, thanks to relentless octave-spanning 'X Factor' style whOooOooOOOOOOo's added to every simple melody.

The poor bloke working in WH Smith looked in agony, as I would be if I had to listen to straightforward pop songs being turned into big-lunged shrieking showcases all bloody day long.

Ol Nick likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Luxury, luxury, luxury!

http://londonist.com/2016/05/what-exactly-is-a-luxury-flat

Gramsci likes this.
  3. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

I think that locals with money would not be considered the right kind of locals.

SpamMisery, Mr Retro and Winot like this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

5. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I know they're capable of knocking out some really good articles, so this thinly veiled advertorial for luxury speakers (£700-£2,000) is really lazy and disappointing
    Brixton bling comes at a price

And yes, it's another high end product of Pop Brixton from someone with zero previous connection to the area. Isn't it great that Lambeth offered the land rent free so luxury manufacturers from miles away can get started and then bugger off to Kent?

Gramsci likes this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. alcopop

You could have got guzzle.it

Would’ve been quite cool?

11. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Did I read this right? You think this is "pocket money"?

As usual you are living up to your profile.

12. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

I think he’s pretty clearly being ironic.

alcopop likes this.
  13. Gramsci

I don't,

Check Spams profile.

editor likes this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Then I'm sure he'll be along shortly to explain his argument. If not, he'll get a warning for trolling.

Gramsci likes this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

If the greedy consumption was the value you wanted associated with the shop, it would be perfect.

16. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Clear at least to anybody not desperate to take offence because of a personal dislike :)

17. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Oh good grief. Brown-nosing Blues Kitchen are doing a hideous 'Royal Burger'. All yours for just £15.

unnamed.jpg

18. OvalhouseDB

OvalhouseDB Well-Known Member

Any suggestions for how a burger celebrating other 'special transatlantic pairings' could be presented? Starting with Wallis Simpson and Edward?
    A plain bun, perhaps, the burger having abdicated?

19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A May and Trump burger: bright orange with no immediate taste but a strange mechanical aftertaste.

Maharani and OvalhouseDB like this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

Intrigued to learn that you can now get a warning for not posting when requested to do so.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And so another thread looks to be disrupted by the same shit stirring individuals. Sigh.

Update: I've moved some posts from the Brixton food thread into this general Brixton thread as they had nothing to do with the topic

Rushy likes this.
  23. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

You may not like it, but jokes not to your taste are not automatically trolling.

This is private eye style, middle pages, fake daily telegraph story level of humour.

Alex

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Remember when we used to discuss if there was any graffiti in the men's toilets in the Albert? I think that argument is well and truly over now!

2018-05-17_163242.jpg

alex_ likes this.
  25. alcopop

Should some of the food posts in this forum be moved to the Brixton food thread?

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Surely you have better things to do than start up this kind of petty nonsense?

27. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

Chlorinated chicken between two shredded wheat

A plain bun decorated with tiny flags....stars and stripes the butchers apron and A swastika

All Royal burgers should feature ketchup and mayonnaise symbolising the blood and semen of Jesus and the divine right to rule

28. Gramsci

In Spams case they are. From the start Spam came here to be a wind up merchant. As I'm a regular long time poster here I've followed Spams posting history.

Spam knows exactly how far to go without permanent ban. Initially Spam was more forthright with opinions on such topics as Council tenants. Then learnt to be more circumspect. Posting up one liners when asked what they mean being non committal.

Back when I first started posting here Spam wouldn't have got any support. Spam is a joker. And "some posters" find it on so amusing. Nauseating. Sad what's happened to Brixton forum.

Btw Spam sense if humour doesn't extend to Spam. When questioned Spam loses it. Why I think Spam may have me on ignore. Though I don't know that for a fact.

Spam is only poster I've wanted permanent ban on. Banned from Brixton forum. Spam can try out politics boards. See how Spams views go down there.

editor likes this.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's pretty much how I see it, and that's why my patience is running out. He might think it's all a big laugh and a joke, but for many people in the community, some of the things being discussed here are hugely important and deserve better than being constantly disrupted by an attention-seeking wannabe troll.

His last attempt to fuck up the Food thread made more moderating work for me, and I'm getting bored with his antics.

wurlycurly and Gramsci like this.
  30. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

Some great creativity on display there. The Windmills gents toilet is also a great example of how a male public space can be used as a canvas for creatives who miturate and need to be expressive.