Brixton news, rumours and general chat - May 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Entrepreneurs, eh?

And, critically:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/get-your-hands-on-a-650k-home-for-price-of-a-beer/

Gramsci likes this.
  2. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

3. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Like all lotteries it's basically exploitative...the house always wins.

Tricky Skills likes this.
  4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You really cant work it out? :facepalm:

5. alcopop

alcopop Well-Known Member

True. But if I played the lottery would probably switch for a week or whatever.

6. 3Zeros

3Zeros Active Member

I'm pretty sure the original PR/info/FAQ made no mention of the cash prize being £1000. I had assumed (and I'm sure many others did too) that it would be a sizeable sum should they not meet the minimum.

It would be pretty easy for them to stop advertising/make the qualifying question much harder/etc once they meet (e.g.) 120,000 tickets. I'm pretty sure they have no intention of giving the flat away.

It's probably worth noting that the business address is the flat address. It's clearly his own flat that he's "risking"

editor likes this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So he could sell 149,999 tickets, hand over the paltry £1,000 prize and line his far pockets even further. And that's assuming that he's honest about the amount of tickets being sold.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

A question for the urban old-school massive:

My wild guess would be around 2004-5 but I've no real idea.

9. sealion

sealion Splish splash splosh

It closed in 2008
    [​IMG]

10. GarveyLives

GarveyLives Well-Known Member

It is a photograph of part of the incident in Brixton four days ago that cuased so much instant 'social media' comment.

However, I doubt that we will be hearing much more here about this crime.

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How much commentary do you deem sufficient in the absence of any new information? And what point are you trying to make here? That no one here cares unless photos have been reposted constantly without comment (like you do all the time)?

12. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

13. happyshopper

happyshopper Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Less importantly, I intensely dislike what they've done to 'Ivor House'. The addition of an extra floor has totally destroyed the proportions of what I had long thought to be a fine building.

Gramsci likes this.
  14. urbanspaceman

urbanspaceman Well-Known Member

Possible stabbing on Rushcroft Road ? Area is taped off, and I heard a policeman responding to a passerby's question: "just a stabbing"

15. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

Yep it's rubbish. Really don't like the way in general developments have started to just add extra floors on top of old structures to increase density. It's like loft extensions on steroids!

16. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

1273802_5183162928_d2a4c68b00_o.jpg

hungry_squirrel, CH1, RoyReed and 2 others like this.
  17. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

Never say never..... the well constructed/concrete buildings seem to ideal for these kinda of developments. Bet they would find a way to do without much consultation of existing residents.

They recently added a few extra floors to the building opposite Ivor House and also stuck some glass boxes on top of Sandhurst Court on Acre Lane. Guess it could be viewed as efficient / cost effective construction.

18. Mr Bim of Bar

Mr Bim of Bar Well-Known Member

19. Mr Bim of Bar

Looks like BRINDISA has gone and new bar and restaurant opening

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

21. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Welcome back :thumbs: Look forward to visiting it.

22. Mr Retro

Mr Retro Beware hedgehogs

Me too. Never been and it’s supposed to be really good.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Save up your pennies if you fancy a beer as they're charging £5.50 for a small bottle of local 4% ale.

Gramsci and madolesance like this.
  24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Have to say I'm mightily unimpressed with the new Argos in Brixton. If anything, it takes longer as you have to queue up to pay and then queue up to collect the goods in a vastly reduced area with some unwelcome jostling thrown in. Meh.

25. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And while I was in the queue, some bloke wearing headphones blaring out loud music challenged me and other bystanders to a "duel to the death." Which was unexpected.

Gramsci likes this.
  26. brixtonblade

brixtonblade Well-Known Member

That's exactly the shopping "experience" Argos were after I imagine

27. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Was that Argos or the new Brixton themed escape room ?

Alex

editor likes this.
  28. Mr Bim of Bar

But the new Icelands refit looks great and a lot faster at the checkout

Jangleballix, DietCokeGirl and editor like this.
  29. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

If you buy online in advance it should qualify for the fast track collection desk (at least it did with me the other day). I was in and out of the place in a minute, tops.

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

This was a bit of an impulse buy so no time to order it online. You wouldn't have made it out in a minute today anyway as there was a fairly big queue at the collection part too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.