Brixton news, rumours and general chat - May 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, May 1, 2018.

1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Following on from the busy April 2018 thread, here's the all-new Brixton thread for May 2018.

[​IMG]

Brixton Windmill walk, May 2011

Weather facts!
    And in the short term: London set for sunny Bank Holiday weekend with highs of 22C

shakespearegirl likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Electric lane is in a right fucking state these days.

2018-05-01_122105.jpg

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Further up:

2018-05-01_122224.jpg

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The ludicrously named faux music-connected The Edge is on its way.

2018-05-01_122522.jpg

*If anyone's interested, this pic was taken with a Sony a7ii with an ancient manual focus Olympus 50mm 1.4 lens.

blameless77 likes this.
  5. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

May 1st. Here we are again. The child is 21 this time around. my job is done. The sun is out.

Tricky Skills, Gramsci and editor like this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I meant to ask you: how come you stopped playing at Market House?

7. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

I just didn't enjoy it as much. I was a bit burnt out with life, and had lost patience with the crowds that were turning up, and the constant requests for records I don't play, or wanna play, so I jacked it in. Brixton's changing, I am not, and I feel no desire to adapt to meet the shallow needs of the Friday nite incomers.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

9. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

11. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Never heard of it

12. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It's the new place owned by a local resident (and other shop owner).

Nanker Phelge likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

What other shop? I've never heard of Guzzl before Time Out told me it was the most loved shop in Brixton.

Shit name too.

14. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

This is rather unfortunate.
    [​IMG]

15. SpamMisery

SpamMisery I bet you think this tagline's about you?

Oh dear :(

16. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Wankers

17. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

FFS. Could Rachel straighten out this cretin?

18. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

Are they wankers or just making use of the wall space to push forward a political message?

What was on that wall before the 'Nuclear Dawn' message?

Surely walls can be used as canvases for people to express their views and with time, the messages change and new more current opinions need a space/ wall to be displayed on.

'Nuclear Dawn' has served it's purpose, but surely we need to move on and let others express their views on what should really be a wall for the people.

alcopop, Gramsci and northeast like this.
  19. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think Nuclear Dawn should be preserved but the Heywood artwork went on top of a blank canvas that had been painted over repeatedly by wanker tagger dickheads who would rather bravely deface an important cultural icon than, for example, spray their stupid name on the blank canvas of a multi millionaire property developer's hoardings 2 metres away.

I doubt very much if the people who are trying to restore Nuclear Dawn were upset by this artwork: in fact, I'm pretty sure it was done by the same artist who has committed to restore it.

Angellic likes this.
  20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Apparently there's some God squaddy thing happening in Windrush Square. Anyone know anything?

21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I can hear some shouting echoing down Coldharbour Lane but I can;t be arsed to go looking for them if it's all God stuff.

22. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It's just gone past. "A Call To Prayer & Action."

I'll post some pics up shortly.

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

24. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

25. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

27. RushcroftRoader

RushcroftRoader Well-Known Member

We have been open since late November. We only sell products from small independent producers and have over 20 suppliers based within a 3 mile radius - so doing our best to support the local economy. I personally have lived in Brixton for 15 years.

28. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Good for you! I'm glad it's doing well. If I'd been sent something when you opened I could have posted something on Buzz if you'd wanted, but it looks like you're doing fine now anyway. :thumbs:

Oh and sorry, but I can't bear the name (I assume it's a trendy form of 'Guzzle', yes?)!

29. RushcroftRoader

RushcroftRoader Well-Known Member

Unfortunately domain names involving Guzzle were not available and it is very difficult to find anything that has not already been taken. i wanted to use something that stood for the healthy appreciation of good food, made by people who really care about what they do. Best I could come up with at the time. There may have been several beers involved!

friendofdorothy and editor like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I was in a band once with a name so awful that we had to spell it out every time, even though it was only six letters long. How shit a name was Kau Tau?!

Oh and please keep me posted if you need publicity on Buzz.

RushcroftRoader likes this.