1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - May 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by CH1, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I'm more concerned about crimes against food. And avocados are no longer a luxury item. But Frozen avocados wtf? You can get non-frozen ones fairly cheaply in the market, especially if they're ripe.

Gramsci likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Let me Buzz that for ya'!

3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

4. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

I refuse to regard them as anything more than the worst exemplar of bourgeois upper middle class oppression. They're bought by people who have fondue sets & salad spinners. <shudders> :eek:

5. Ms T

Four apparently (8 halves) and they come ready sliced for your avocado toast.

Coincidentally I had avocado on toast for breakfast - I think I got two "ready to eat" from Lidl for £1.65 so that's not a bad price from Iceland. Especially as there's a world shortage ATM. I still wouldn't buy frozen avocado though.

friendofdorothy and T & P like this.
  6. Ms T

Guilty as charged! :mad::D

Salad spinners are essential if you love salad as much as I do. The fondue set was a gift and comes out once a year for an urban gathering. ;):thumbs:

EastEnder likes this.
  7. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Iceland should probably stop selling olive oil as well and replace it with tubs of lard. Let's de-gentrify it properly before it's too late.

8. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

EastEnder likes this.
  9. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Probably gets binned I imagine. Or maybe they'll be some room left in the fridge. I've Buzzed it, tweeted it to 24k followers and FB'd it, so hopefully it'll all go. I'm guessing someone must have royally over ordered at Franco Manca.

11. EastEnder

teuchter likes this.
  12. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

I thought that now that Mandelson was out of the picture we had to go back to eating mushy peas? Although thinking about that, that would probably be cultural appropriation :(

13. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Franco manca did an offer yesterday where if you brought in fresh vegetables they'd give you a pizza, the veg was destined for the food bank - i'm guessing so many people took them up on it there wasn't room for it all in the bank

editor, shakespearegirl and EastEnder like this.
  14. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I was discussing this (Iceland frozen Avocado for sale horror) with a friend of mine of Barbadian heritage.

"What are they going on about" he said " there's loads of avocados for sale in Brixton market - always has been. Its a very popular fruit jn the Carribean. Its not about gentrification at all - its about supplying people with what they want"

So there!

editor, T & P and EastEnder like this.
  15. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I would have brought along a carrot if I knew I could have got a free pizza!

16. lefteri

I came down with a hideous cold and couldn't leave the house otherwise I'd have been there like a shot

editor likes this.
  17. lefteri

Yeah Carribean avocados are huge, I once ate some of one that a Jamaican friend had brought back from there. They cost about 2 pounds each in brixton market

18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

He's a unicorn now

19. Casaubon

Casaubon Well-Known Member

Iceland's bags of frozen quinoa and mixed veg were really good for emergencies/laziness.
    They've introduced a few 'novelty' items in the last few years that I've really liked, but they always discontinue them after a month or two. :confused:

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

So long as they continue to offer decent food that's well priced, good quality and free from any pretentious bollocks, it'll remain my supermarket of choice, supplemented by the occasional trek up to Lidl, with Sainsburys for the few things I can't get elsewhere. I still use the street markets as much as I can though.

21. EastEnder

Yeah Iceland rocks, always my first port of call for decent basic staples. Although I do find their "luxury" section at the back a bit disconcerting, some decidedly posh stuff in those freezers, it'd better not be the thin end of the wedge!

Gramsci and editor like this.
  22. tompound

tompound Well-Known Member

Yep that's correct.

All gone now, thanks Ed for the plug. Not sure we'll go into this free supermarket business...it was a bit like a Black Friday scramble at one point :facepalm:

23. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Hopefully you managed to sell a few coffees and cakes in the melee?

24. aussw9

aussw9 Well-Known Member

Baby boomers?

25. tompound

tompound Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, I was too busy hiding out the back.

Gramsci and lefteri like this.
  26. EastEnder

The very worst kind of boomers! :eek:

27. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

Will the famed cheddar cheese one day be replaced with rows of avocado? I think I can remember when I first saw an avocado. Perhaps the late eighties, or early nineties. It was when they first arrived in Safeways supermarket in Inverness. My mum (who grew up in the tropics) was excited because before then, it was not possible to get such things in the north of scotland. In fact, according to some, any kind of green vegetables were pretty much frowned upon; a pragmatic approach to no-nonsense eating without which we could never have been UK leaders in the fields of heart disease and low life expectancy. Sad to see Iceland now leading its Brixton customers similarly astray.

Rushy, Winot, Mr Retro and 2 others like this.
  28. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

Both customers in front and behind me in ALDI Tooting were stocking up on avocados earlier. no idea how much they were but they must have spotted a bargain

29. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

IMG_4864.PNG
    That's 4 (skinned and stoned) avocados for 2.50, making them .. 62.5p each fruit. Not bad at all, especially as we're apparently headed for a global avocado shortage due to bad weather in Mexico.
    Avocado prices reach record high worldwide
    My freezer is about the size of a paperback book but might have to find space for these, am always missing the brief moment of ripeness and chucking them away.

friendofdorothy and T & P like this.
  30. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

It's clear this thread has already caused a rush on the Iceland avocados - but now you've posted this there's going to be full scale panic-buying tomorrow morning. If this coincides with the pavement flashmob happy disco thing ... it doesn't bear thinking about. I'd recommend everyone takes a day off work tomorrow and stays indoors with the shutters closed.

Angellic, Rushy, billythefish and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.