1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - May 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by CH1, May 1, 2017.

1. Twattor

Twattor Well-Known Member

2. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

...other than the load from lots of parked cars, iirc.

3. twistedAM

twistedAM Left Of The Dial

Popped into Adams on Brixton Hill for a strong, cheap coffee and they've turned into an Ethiopian restaurant. They used to have one in the old camping shop but closed 12 years ago cos of high rents. Hope it works out for them as they're ace people:

http://www.adamsethiopian.com

Nanker Phelge and editor like this.
  4. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

omg - HURRAH! We used to go to that one in the camping shop (a LOT!) and it was our favourite restaurant (come club - it really got lively in there late at night) - we were gutted when they closed down!

This is GREAT news. :):):)

(eta - that link doesn't work)

twistedAM likes this.
  5. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

There's a rumour that Chuka has moved, or is moving, to live in west London. No doubt he will be handsomely re-elected as MP for Streatham, but he will no longer be the "home boy" he described himself to be on 3rd August 2012 in the Evening Standard magazine.
    "I couldn't imagine living anywhere else than my constituency" he gushed is the ES Mag.

editor likes this.
  6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I'll never forgive the posh Tory boy for this:

8. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

*** GENTRIFICATION WATCH ***

Spotted in Brixton Iceland this very morning: Frozen avocado halves, £2.50 per bag.

Will the madness never end? :(

equationgirl, CH1 and snowy_again like this.
  9. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

10. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

There's a documentary about the bloke on the right of that photo - essentially his emotional breakdown.

And in terms of avoiding them - surely just not be around the station at 8 am on Friday the 18th May?

11. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Bit difficult if you have to get the tube to work at that time.

12. bimble

bimble Is it Spring yet?

they're going to "consume the street' ? That's very weird choice of language.

13. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I spotted they are now selling this - which is from a Ratebeer ***** rated brewery - St Peter's Brewery in Bungay Suffolk.

Curiosity got the better of me and I had to buy - even at the rather bourgeois price of £1.79, but I enjoyed it.

Looks Like the same (micro) brewery do stuff for Sainsburys own label, but presumably cheapskate Iceland just take the standard label product!
    st peters.jpg

EastEnder likes this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

They're weird people.

15. EastEnder

editor likes this.
  16. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

St Peter's is great stuff. Tesco has stocked it for years. You can get it on draft at the Jerusalem Tavern in Farringdon.

CH1 likes this.
  17. jimbarkanoodle

jimbarkanoodle Well-Known Member

I hate this wanky shit. Its being going on in East London for a while now. Posh dickheads who think doing this before going to work in their offices is amazing, cool and edgy, and is the epitome of 'London life'. They probably describe it to their peers and work colleagues as 'like SGP (Secret Garden Party festival), but you know, like not, cos its before work, you know?!' in the hope of getting some adulation and admiration for doing something weirdly healthy and unusual.

Id advise them to get themselves into the 414 at 8am on a psy trance night if they want to dance about pretending they are crazy, rather than pissing people off, getting in the way, and no doubt offering 'free hugs' (hilarious!!!!) outside the tube station on Friday morning.

stockwelljonny, wurlycurly and editor like this.
  18. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

I was in there recently and noticed they now have their non-alcoholic beer on tap at the bar. I think it might be the first time I've seen a non-alcoholic beer on tap in the UK (something that's been around in eg. Germany for years). Sign of progress.

19. wurlycurly

wurlycurly diss member

Yeh, it's scandalous that pubs are still associated with alcohol.

Brixton Hatter likes this.
  20. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I don't understand why Iceland do this. People go to get stuff cheap I don't see people queing with frozen avocados.Btw the frozen vegetarian food is high quality and very cheap.

21. Brixton Hatter

Brixton Hatter edge of heaven

A few weeks ago I was at Ms Hatter's sister-in-law's house, where S-I-L spent some time extolling to me the virtues of frozen avocado halves. At some point when I subconsciously emerged from my bored stupor, I was reluctantly forced to admit that yes, it was rather convenient, and they would always be ripe (or something.) :confused:

22. Brixton Hatter

Yep. Little Hatter would have probably gone there as it was just round the corner from us, but we couldn't really afford to live there any more. Much of the local streets are now buy-to-let houses filled with young professional sharers. Almost everyone I know around there with kids has moved out.

Gramsci likes this.
  23. ash

ash Inittogether

They only recently expanded to three form entry so that wasn't too well planned

24. Brixton Hatter

:(

25. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

Must get there some time. Last time I went to a "proper" pub it was the Doric Arch at Euston last Saturday. Very god selection there.

Winot likes this.
  26. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

I think it is this - people do indeed go to get stuff cheap, but also there is a certain amount of impulse buying of novelty stuff. That's how Lidl have operated for years. Iceland are just copying the psychology. Presumably if they get the mix right they can increase their overall profitability.

27. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Well it depends on how many avocado halves are in the bag. Fresh avocados aren't that cheap so if the bag happened to contain the equivalent of, say, six or eight whole avocados then it'd be great value for money; not that different from buying frozen meat when you think about it.

If however they work out not particularly cheaper than fresh ones, then it seems a waste of time to me.

28. tompound

tompound Well-Known Member

At the Brixton Pound Cafe today - kilos and kilos of fresh fruit and veg (none of it chopped in half and frozen as far as I'm aware). Bring a bag and we'll fill it up for you to take home. We've had a huge amount donated by Franco Manca via the People's Fridge. It needs to be gone before 6pm today...

29. EastEnder

I'm with you on that - Iceland's great for cheap staples, not fancy stuff like avocados. It's like if the shouty man on the green grocer stall on Electric Avenue started selling quinoa...:eek:

Gramsci likes this.
  30. T & P

T & P |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Avocados are both delicious and nutritious. They should not be seen as fancy food but made as affordable as possible. Big thumbs up to Iceland.

Brixton Hatter likes this.