1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - March 2018

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 1, 2018.

1. northeast

northeast Well-Known Member

Anyone else get the "Brixton news letter" from lambeth this weekend. Mentions electric avenue being opened by Eddie Grant. Was that not October 2016!!!! Surly they have some better news to spread
    editor likes this.
  2. Angellic

Angellic Well-Known Member

So it's Sports Direct and USD Fashion moving into the Pope's Rd site. Advertised on the hoardings.
  3. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

By coincidence, this was the scene the night before the hoardings went up:

Gramsci likes this.
  4. xsunnysuex

xsunnysuex Life is a horizontal fall.

Anyone know if I can buy a spy hole anywhere in Brixton please?
  5. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

Argos is worth a try. The DIY shop in the arches opposite Pop should have them.
  6. Gramsci

What surprised me was that unlike previously it was just two pages. They did mention how the consultant they hired to look at Pop said it was great. A somewhat biased look at the consultant report.

I got my Council Tax bill today. On back it says "due to an upcoming change in regulation you need to sign up so we can do this". That is "keep in touch with you about things happening in our borough".

I wondered if this means we won't get any more mail shots from Council?

And I don't understand about this signing up. I signed up to Future Brixton updates by email. This reminded me l haven't received any for ages. Since the Network Rail action. Which seems to have thrown the Council into a quandary about what to do. Tell community whats really going on or just stop sending them updates.

Coop Council communication with residents is really rubbish.
    Southlondon likes this.
  7. snowy_again

snowy_again Slush

It’s opt in consent for forthcoming GDPR
    Gramsci likes this.
  8. teuchter

teuchter je suis teuchter

It can mean either.
  9. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I’m told Brindisa may finally close at the end of this week as they’ve found someone to take over the lease.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Makes you wonder if the A&C deli could have survived if Brindisa hadn't swanned into town going on and on about how much they loved Brixton (but failed to set up shop until the area was suitably gentrified for their customer base).

I know they were well pissed off at the well-heeled, PR-assisted new arrivals pinching some of their customers.
    Gramsci likes this.
  11. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Yes, a+c could definitely have survived if their landlord hadn’t been dicks.

Gramsci likes this.
  12. Ms T

Ms T Honey-coloured ramparts

I dunno - José told me business had been slowly declining for a long time, mostly due to the supermarkets which were increasingly stocking luxury deli items eg De Cecco pasta, puy lentils etc. He wasn’toverly bothered about Brindisa because the price point was so different. Turns out Brindisa was too expensive even for nu-Brixton.
    Winot likes this.
  13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

That's not what they told me, but no matter. Other factors came into play with their decline too. I used to go there every day and really miss the place.

I can't say I felt any love for Brindisa and their faux-love for Brixton but what comes next will probably be even worse and unaffordable to what old-school locals are left.
    Gramsci and alex_ like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

15. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Did he ever put his prices up, Because it was really cheap.

16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I think the definition of 'cheap' depends on your income. I always thought they were reasonable but never what I'd call 'cheap.' I could never afford as many of their olives as I'd like, for example.
  17. alex_

alex_ Well-Known Member

Sorry yes - a lot cheaper than elsewhere of equivalent quality.

18. gaijingirl

gaijingirl Well-Known Member

Jangleballix likes this.
  19. David Clapson

David Clapson Well-Known Member

The bike racks in Windrush sq are being suspended because of a premiere at the Ritzy tomorrow. Dr Dre of overpriced headphone fame is the star guest.
  20. madolesance

madolesance Well-Known Member

They don't usually do that for premiers. But have provided temporary ones beside the Memorial. Also the mile stone has been covered and has been labelled as historic.

Just what type of premier/ circus is going to be arriving in Windrush Square?
  21. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

The Boycott Breaker's Ball.
    madolesance likes this.
  22. Lizzy Mac

Lizzy Mac Well-Known Member

Pity it's not snowing.
    Thimble Queen, Gramsci and editor like this.
  23. David Clapson

The guy doing the signage on the racks said it could be very big, with all the great and good of the black community invited. But he hasn't seen the guest list.
  24. David Clapson

Here it is. It's not in the Picturehouse listings - it's an invite only screening Dr. Dre’s ‘The Defiant Ones’ Doc Gets A Special Screening In London
  25. Gramsci

I did go a few times to Brindisi. My partner is Spanish. All the staff in the Brixton Brindisi were Spanish. So we ended up in there. She said they stocked high quality Spanish food. But it was pricey. The kind of thing one got for special occasions even in Spain. So I think ur right price point was different.

Now A&C are gone I've found Malinka on Brixton road. Who are relatively cheap.
  26. Rushy

Rushy AKA some / certain posters

If none of those works out, Screwfix. Or the handyman on Railton Road (Herne Hill end).
  27. Jangleballix

Jangleballix Better living through chemistry.

I go to the Good Pub Guide and search for a Food Award pub in Surrey or Kent. Not been disappointed yet. You have to get there early mind, of a Sunday.
  28. Winot

Winot I wholeheartedley agree with your viewpoint

Yes I heard the same from José.

Brixton was apparently one of Brindisa’s worst performing branches.

Incidentally, their marketing director has lived in Brixton for 20+ years.
  29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

And your point is?