1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brixton news, rumours and general chat - March 2017

Discussion in 'Brixton' started by editor, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Following on from February's thread, here's the March 2017 Brixton chat thread!

And a happy St David's Day to all!

March FACTS!

2017-03-01_151226.jpg

Gramsci likes this.
  2. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

3. cuppa tee

cuppa tee Well-Known Member

I was just going to reply to the second last post on that thread..... despite that posters pessimistic appraisal of the monthly threads state of wellbeing its still got over 15000 views so obviously some of the bored are still about but lurking.....maybe in the hope of returning to some old beef.

4. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I just ignore it because, frankly, it's pathetic. Last month had more views than the previous three months so clearly a lot of people are still finding the boards of interest.

Gramsci likes this.
  5. Mr Retro

Mr Retro TwentyFourThousand

Exactly proving my point no? The same ole beef the same ole posters have with Pop Brixton is what drove last months traffic.

6. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

ice-is-forming and Gramsci like this.
  7. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Billboards for the 'Edge' private gated development betwixt Valencia and Gresham Rd. With private balcony too!

Feel it! NOW LIVE IT! Yeah!

2017-03-01_163414.jpg 2017-03-01_163324.jpg

8. Pickman's model

Pickman's model Starry Wisdom

when i was in toronto a couple of years ago there were a couple of auld houses getting knocked down so they could put up a 65 storey block of condos. the advertising boards were on about breaking out of the mould and being individual. so a couple of perfectly decent, individual, houses were being knocked down so a load of well-off people could live individualistically in identical apartments. much like this nonsense in brixton.

Lucy Fur, Gramsci and editor like this.
  9. stockwelljonny

stockwelljonny Wait here I have gone to get help

editor likes this.
  10. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

It feels like one of the very last old school nights left in the area. Mixed crowd, friendly vibes, great reggae and open late. It would be a tragedy of we lose the 414.

stockwelljonny likes this.
  11. cuppa tee

I beg to differ because the discussion was about the community fridge being in the wrong place (which it is), it was obviously not about POp because no one came out with the old chestnut about a fork and spade on the roof.

editor and Mr Retro like this.
  12. RubyToogood

RubyToogood can't remember what goes here

I had my first visit to Café Van Gogh today and it was great, much better than I expected. Lovely surroundings and delicious veggie food.

13. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Maybe Mr Retro will be back next month pointing out that the traffic was only driven by him pointing out what drove last month's traffic. Or something.

Gramsci and cuppa tee like this.
  14. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

I've been meaning to check out that place for ages. Its been though quite a few changes over the years.

15. lefteri

lefteri Well-Known Member

Is that the one that's part of the church near vassal Road?

Gramsci likes this.
  16. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Yep!

17. DietCokeGirl

DietCokeGirl [Your Ad Here]

Private balcony overlooking the train line and some industrial workspace. Great.

Gramsci and editor like this.
  18. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Feel the trains rumbling by. Now LIVE IT!

Gramsci likes this.
  19. cuppa tee

The Edge, Brixton | Taylor Wimpey

"Brixton is a district of South London within Lambeth. The development is located off Gresham Road and is positioned on the opposite side of the railway viaduct to the Fire Station. The two apartment blocks are positioned within this lively and funky corner of London"

"Brixton is famous for its live music, murals, cinemas, and is a desirable place to live for the younger, professional generation due to the strong social culture"

[​IMG]

20. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

How many cinemas have we got? And much as I like them, I'd hardly say that Brixton is famous for its murals. Still, it's great to live next to a lively and funky corner of London. So damn funky around here.

21. EastEnder

EastEnder Brixton Barnacle

"Each apartment with private balcony" ? That's terrible English. "Each apartment comes with a private balcony".

TBF, that's probably not the worst aspect...

editor likes this.
  22. Nanker Phelge

Nanker Phelge Monkey Boy

Brixton is famous for.......

Now that's a straw poll to ask at work....

Bet answer one is: Riots

ice-is-forming likes this.
  23. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

I was in Dalston few recently. The "same old beef" is happening there.

Also chatting to someone I know from Tottenham. He said it's social cleansing going on up there.

For a lot of Londoners what's happening to there city really angers them.

editor likes this.
  24. Gramsci

Gramsci Well-Known Member

16904585_10211780087355326_8622189908528892022_o.jpg

I will be going. Betiel used to run the Art Nouveau cafe on Atlantic road. She has done a lot to support good causes. Including recently campaigning to get the Adventure Playgrounds reopened.

16836426_10211780086915315_5798154977344281382_o.jpg 16836426_10211780086915315_5798154977344281382_o.jpg

25. CH1

CH1 "Red Guard"(NLYL)

What is this supposed to mean?

When it was approved the development was to be three square tower blocks - the tallest on the Valentia Place side.

Maybe they mean that "The Viaduct" and Brixton Square alias Carney Place are two funky apartment bocks which "The Edge" will be joining?

26. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

You're not supposed to question it. You're supposed to LIVE IT!

ice-is-forming likes this.
  27. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

28. discobastard

discobastard _____Ϯ_____

29. editor

editor Taffus Maximus

Work has started on the 'Brixton Orchard':

Day 1 at the Brixton Orchard: Muddy! - Urban Growth London

Gramsci and brixtonblade like this.
  30. editor

editor Taffus Maximus